The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

I only saw the second half but even when under the cosh we looked well drilled and less nervy than I have seen us in similar circumstances for a long long time.

When we had the ball we were not afraid to build possession into attack. There was a lovely one touch move on the left side that had Sanya running round in circles but once he was beaten the final ball was lacking. Lack of confidence and a Benteke in the box has a big part to play in our lack of attacking decisiveness. Hopefully Remi can start to develop this part of our game while continuing to drill the defence. We need a striker in Jan.

• Like 1

Out of interest is there anybody here that doesn't agree 100% with how Garde set us up tactically or his substitutions?

He picked exactly the team I would've put out with probably the exception of Troare being on the bench.

I also agree with the NZog substitution as Gil was tiring after putting in a massive shift. And also him switching to the left side when Bacuna came on. Giving us fresh legs on both flanks was very necessary imo given the ground our wide players had covered.

Personally I didn't expect him to ring the changes so dramatically in his first game, however when hearing the starting 11 on the way to the ground I became very excited(bit like a kid again). For the first time in a long long time a manager had picked virtually the starting 11 I think most would have, and he made the substitutions in a pro active way rather than a reactive way.  Our shape was good yesterday, we pressed in numbers and most importantly played as a team.

He appears calm, measured and in just a short period of time(days) has got us looking far more organised, assured and responsible than in the last 3 months under Sherwood. My own confidence in us turning this mess around has increased too so I am sure after yesterday's performance the players will have had a serious lift and hopefully believe  they are more than capable of turning our fortunes around also. Only a good thing! 

• Like 4

We certainly lack talent up front, 10 goals in 12 is pretty poor. It is, however, the same amount that Stoke and West Brom have scored, so if our defence keeps it up, we can get the odd win. 

Let's see what the goal ratio is like under Garde before we start worrying about our ability to score goals.

• Like 1

I am loath to get carried away ( I'm a villa fan)

....but I am equally loath to be as depressed with the team as i was.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

We certainly lack talent up front, 10 goals in 12 is pretty poor. It is, however, the same amount that Stoke and West Brom have scored, so if our defence keeps it up, we can get the odd win. 

Let's see what the goal ratio is like under Garde before we start worrying about our ability to score goals.

I agree.

Whilst I think a striker would be welcome in January. Our lack of attacking threat this season was largely down to the previous Manager's baffling team selections, which lead I'm sure to many of the players not really understanding their role. No as I've said, I still think we need a striker but a coherent game plan with the correct players selected will I'm sure result in a more effective attack than we have seen so far. 

I actually think he instructed the team to use more gamesmanship tactics, and be a bit nasty... Obviously you had the Rudi "incident", but then Ayew took an age to get off the pitch, Richards was getting Guzan to lie on the ball etc. It's not something that I've ever seen us do much of before, but if it makes us less of a soft touch I'm all for it. 

• Like 4

I hate all these 'proper football men' and their blind obsession with the only way to survive a dogfight is with a British mind set of kick and run, physicality and to totally do away with any technical footballing ability.

Our players are not suited to that shit anyway (unless it's a KMAC selection). These pundits are about to discover we have better players than they thought too.

Makes me think of Martinez, he kept Wigan up for many seasons playing some beautiful football with by far worse players than we have. 

Like many I don't want to get my hopes up and of course, we didn't pose much threat.

BUT...

For a guy who has had three days with players who apparently are no good, unfit, and in the dark as to how to play in this Country, what a terrific job he did.

Suddenly we looked like we had a plan ( even the sub's, as well as making sense individually, seamlessly moved us to a winger/ target man line up, albeit without much success) (although had Gestede got that flick in off the naughty corner !), players looked like they knew what was expected of them, defenders defended, ably assisted instead of hindered by both the set up and commitment of the others, the water carriers carried water and the more gifted, mostly Gil, looked to do something clever.

This was Man City....IF he gets similar performance levels against other sides some of that quality play will reap rewards.

Suddenly we looked like we had some leaders, some fighters...particularly Hutton, Richards, Clark, Sanchez, Gueye and Gestede. They all looked up for a fight.

Very early days but promising in a real and substantial way, in contrast to last years Sherwood rescue which now ( with hindsight for some - like myself - but not needed for others) can be seen as nothing more than an adrenalin fuelled one off.

I even enjoyed MOTD and more relevantly the full game rerun via Sky. Lots to be pleased about in it.

On and as others have said, what a nice change to see the team sheet and think " oh good" !

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 4

I agree.

Whilst I think a striker would be welcome in January. Our lack of attacking threat this season was largely down to the previous Manager's baffling team selections, which lead I'm sure to many of the players not really understanding their role. No as I've said, I still think we need a striker but a coherent game plan with the correct players selected will I'm sure result in a more effective attack than we have seen so far. 

Gil, Grealish, Ayew, Gestede, Sinclair even N'Zogbia.

We have attacking players, even if only one true centre forward. But I think we can score goals if we're set up correctly.

The Man CIty game is a skewed barometer to use for our future potential at goal scoring.

If we come out of the Everton and Watford games with similar shots on target stats then I'll be worried.

• Like 1

I am loathed to get carried away ( I'm a villa fan)

....but I am equally loathed to be as depressed with the team as i was.

loath

I am loath. It's an adjective. Similar to reluctant. Nothing to do with the verb or noun associated with hate

• Like 1

Would I prefer Moyes to Garde? I'm not sure. I really don't know. I think Villa fans would have creamed themselves had we gotten Moyes two years ago, but after his year attempting the impossible at Man Utd, and a his little footballing holiday in Sociedad, his stock is a little lower. Two weeks ago I'd have taken Moyes, but Garde is the slightly more exciting appointment. On balance, I'd probably go with Moyes. As Garde admits, he's not a magic man and the jury is still out as to whether or not he's just another a failed mutation. You can be fairly sure what you're getting with Moyes. 

Hmmm maybe Garde is a better appointment. You don't want a recently sacked man joining a sinking ship either. Like inviting a man onto your rubber dinghy because the spikes on his shoes burst his one.

• Like 3

I am loathed to get carried away ( I'm a villa fan)

....but I am equally loathed to be as depressed with the team as i was.

loath

I am loath. It's an adjective. Similar to reluctant. Nothing to do with the verb or noun associated with hate

I have always loathed grammar nazi's

;)

Interesting to see Guzans comments in the mail. I remember Sherwood saying he was trying to be calmer on the sidelines due to the players requests. Guzan spoke about Garde quiet nature on and off the field. I think it suits our players.. that he is calm and not worried easily. That was a pressure situation against a very good side and we got a point. We just need to play the same way but possibly a bit more adventurous against lesser sides.

I dont think he will have Sanchez AND Gana against the lesser sides. He may go for a more attacking line up.

He will be looking for more goals from our midfield. The front man who I suspect will be Ayew is going to have to work his socks off,

If he plays Gestede then I reckon he'll put nzog on to hopefully whip those crosses in

Veretout showed glimpses on Sunday. As he gains in confidence I can see him driving forward more through the midfield.

Remi Garde is a thinker so it should be Interesting times ahead

UTV!

Â