New manager

KJT123

Seems the polar opposite to Sherwood.

Link

It would be wrong to judge the silent, timid and almost introvert Rémi Garde solely on his equally short playing and managerial career during which he featured at Lyon for the most part, because such is the quality of his work behind the scenes that goes publicly unnoticed. Ask anyone that has worked with/for him and they will tell you that Garde has the interest of others first and foremost at heart and that quietly, unassumingly building a club to succeed is something that he has excelled at, as a coach and as a manager.

And so it is back home for young Rémi, the freshly retired player and inexperienced manager. He entered the Lyon set-up in 2003 as part of the technical staff and was promoted to assistant manager during Lyon’s reign of 7 straight titles. This is where he encountered Paul Le Guen yet again and continued to learn his trade under experienced manager (who had also coached in England) Gérard Houiller.

Alas, Lyon’s dominance came to an end and the management structure began to shift, changing as the results became less and less satisfactory. Aulas then made quite an unpopular move to appoint Claude Puel – possibly the most hated Lyon manager in modern history – and a radical change was needed at boardroom level. Upon Puel’s arrival, Garde was moved into a position of power at the head of the club’s youth setup, charged with bringing about his President’s latest plan to life. Aulas’ wallet was shrinking and Lyon had to sell their best players (who were on big fat wages in France but on decent money in England) to keep the business going. Selling the established players and promoting youth was to be newly appointed manager Rémi Garde’s biggest test during his 3-year tenure at Lyon.

In 2011/12, Lyon still had quite a solid backbone. The club had finished 3rd the season previous and the prized assets remained (for now). Lloris, Cris, Cissokho, Källstrom, Briand, Gomis & Lisandro Lopez were behind this success, with enough established names for Les Gones to expect nothing less than a top four Ligue 1 finish. It was not however enough for Lyon to qualify for the Champions’ League as they finished only 4th some 10 points behind 3rd place. Rémi Garde’s first season as a manager of a professional club in the league therefore arguably ended in failure. Nevertheless, phrases such as “transitional stage” were brandished about as OL spent the summer of 2012 dumping their most established talents for enviable transfer fees.

Cup competitions were a mitigated experience for Garde in his first season as a manager. He did win the French Cup during the 2011/12 campaign and got his first (and so far only) experience of the Champions’ League as a manager which ended sourly when Lyon were knocked out by fairy-tale boys of the year Cypriot side Apoel Nicosia (on penalties).

One of Garde’s more applaudable feats during that particular season (2011/12) though was that he gave first team opportunities to one Alexandre Lacazette for the first time in the young Frenchman’s career, a man who is the current leading goalscorer in Ligue 1. Having had oversight of the club’s academy the season previously, Garde was perfectly positioned with all the knowledge that he had acquired over the previous twelve months to implement OL’s new strategy of forming a first team squad based fundamentally on the strength of there youth academy. Not only had Garde worked with these players before, the youngsters felt more comfortable entering professional football under their final mentor at youth level.

During the summer of 2012, the axe, as expected, fell on Lyon’s top players in order to raise cash. Lloris was sold to Tottenham, Cris left to join Galatasaray, Cissokho went to Valencia (disregarding the bad teeth episode of Milan) and Källstrom to Moscow. Those players were aptly replaced by an inexperienced but fearless youth and, surprise, surprise, Lyon actually managed more points with the rookies than the previous year with the experienced bunch. Plenty of youngsters were given their breakthrough seasons in 2012/2013 as Lyon finished 3rd again, including Maxime Gonalons, Mouhamadou Dabo, Clément Grenier, Gueida Fofana, Samuel Umtiti, Yacine Benzia and Rachid Ghezzal. Surely some of those names ring a bell today?

The third and final season for Garde at Lyon was full of dramatic highs and lows and heart-racing moments. Perhaps it was no surprise therefore that Garde resigned at the end of it in favour of a sabbatical. Lyon were knocked out in the Champions’ League play-offs by Real Sociedad (if you have seen the goals of those games, you will remember them for sure, they were sublime) and failed to find consistency in the league from start to finish, overshadowed by injury crises and Gomis’ transfer saga. However, Lyon were able to make respectable progress in the Europa League (losing out to Juventus in the quarter-finals) and even though they did not play many big sides along the way, playing so many games in a season gave the current Lyon side experience in difficult corners of Europe, even if this put greater pressure on the youngsters to perform in Ligue 1. It is in those games that Garde was able to give players like Fékir, or Tolisso  the game time that they craved. Their honourable Coupe de la Ligue campaign also deserves a mention, falling foul only to PSG in the final. 

People would be forgiven for thinking that Hubert Fournier is the mastermind behind Lyon’s formidable youth set-up that enables the club to challenge for the title this season but those youngsters were given their first chances by Garde. The once unbeatable title-winning ogre is marching back to its glory days thanks to Garde’s careful, initial planning. Jean-Michel Aulas’ unique and visionary masterplan is ahead of schedule, but there was no single individual who has played a more important role in its success to date that Rémi Garde.

• Like 2

So let me get this straight...

We've sacked our underperforming manager when it was expected we would (two games after we were led to believe he had two games left), we're apparently in advanced talks with another manager on the same day we sacked the previous one, and the guy we're linked to is actually a manager of some reputation that a number of people on here think would be good appointment?

Blimey. It's almost as if the club we're doing some serious planning while we were all losing our s**t on here the last few weeks. This Tom Fox fella may actually know what he's doing!

Let's not forget.

Fox hired Sherwood.

Who admittedly gives amazing facials. No doubt if you asked Sherwood about this he'd reply, 'If I had to back one person to perform in an intense bukkake situation, I'd back Tim Sherwood.'

• Like 4

I don't follow any foreign football so I'd be lying if I said I knew anything about this guy up until about an hour ago. 

But having just read a few articles about him he does seem like an interesting choice. A gamble maybe, but interesting one.

We've sacked our underperforming manager when it was expected we would (two games after we were led to believe he had two games left), we're apparently in advanced talks with another manager on the same day we sacked the previous one, and the guy we're linked to is actually a manager of some reputation that a number of people on here think would be good appointment?

Blimey. It's almost as if the club we're doing some serious planning while we were all losing our s**t on here the last few weeks. This Tom Fox fella may actually know what he's doing!

Let's not forget.

Fox hired Sherwood.

Who admittedly gives amazing facials. No doubt if you asked Sherwood about this he'd reply, 'If I had to back one person to perform in an intense bukkake situation, I'd back Tim Sherwood.'

Well you can't be right 100% of the time I guess.

Unless you're my missus. She thinks she's right 100% of the time.

She's not either.

I would imagine that Garde would be a massive boost to our new recruits. Veretout, Amavi and Ayew in particular could really benefit from someone like him, as a compatriot that has lived in England and previously played in the PL.

Add that to the fact that he's tactically astute, he might just be able to get this squad to start gelling.

For any new guy there's a couple of free hits in the next few fixtures as long as we get him in asap.

I've just been reminded seeing Bertrand doing quite well for Southampton, and a few other of our ex players playing for teams doing better than us -  if we get a managerial appointment right for once we should rightly be optimistic.

We've got some exciting talent at the minute most of which are under performing. It's not going to be easy for whoever we get and I'm not one for the "anyone could do better" approach, but if we get it right we deserve a bit of excitement! 

• Like 1

Let's not forget.

Fox hired Sherwood.

Who admittedly gives amazing facials. No doubt if you asked Sherwood about this he'd reply, 'If  Tim Sherwood had to back one person to perform in an intense bukkake situation, Tim Sherwood would back Tim Sherwood.'

Fixed that for you.

Let's not forget.

Fox hired Sherwood.

Well you can't be right 100% of the time I guess.

Unless you're my missus. She thinks she's right 100% of the time.

She's not either.

Sherwood kept us up and got us to an FA Cup final - it wasn't such a bad appointment for that period of time, although it became obvious he wasn't the man in the long term.

• Like 1