Gun violence in the USA

Marka Ragnos

33 minutes ago, sidcow said:

22 dead and 60+ injured. 

Not sure how it happened before a good guy with a gun took him out? 

First thing I thought of. Surely the answer to this is to ensure that anyone over the age of 14 has to have at least two guns on them before entering a bowling alley?

6 hours ago, maqroll said:

Lewiston is home for many Somalis. The shooter is white male ex-army.

And the purge of white supremacists from the army is going so well that the army is not responding to FOIA requests about it.

Arms user with a good level of skill and knowledge. Only way to prevent this is in the future is to make sure all children receive receive firearms training and attend a range once a week. College kids and adults have to register and complete 2 hours of mandatory firearms training per week. Otherwise they're just asking for it.

It kept my skills up when I was serving in operational theatres in Kosovo, Bosnia, and NI.

The notice said Card had been committed to a mental health facility for two weeks this summer.

It also said Card had reported hearing voices and had threatened to carry out a shooting at the military training base in Saco, Maine.

Source

Just the type of lad you want armed to the teeth.

2 hours ago, colhint said:

The cynic in me thinks the US has done quite well, there hasn't been one of these for a few months.

A proper double figure murdered one, no. That is true.

A shooting where people get killed/injured? Every hour, every day. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Arms user with a good level of skill and knowledge. Only way to prevent this is in the future is to make sure all children receive receive firearms training and attend a range once a week. College kids and adults have to register and complete 2 hours of mandatory firearms training per week. Otherwise they're just asking for it.

It kept my skills up when I was serving in operational theatres in Kosovo, Bosnia, and NI.

Is this sarcasm?

Or are we slipping back into the 13th Century archery laws?

7 hours ago, AXD said:

Apparently, the shooter works as a fire arms instructor. He’ll have had access and knows how to use his guns. Bit different than usual.

I wonder how many of these shooters have multiple guns? It seems to be a theme. Maybe a first step whilst honouring the amendments would be to say everyone can have a gun, but only 1. 

1 hour ago, luckyeddie said:

Is this sarcasm?

Or are we slipping back into the 13th Century archery laws?

Total sarcasm and defeatism.

I was pointing out the futility of the gun laws and how only the gun lobby will profit. No thought of protecting life.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I wonder how many of these shooters have multiple guns? It seems to be a theme. Maybe a first step whilst honouring the amendments would be to say everyone can have a gun, but only 1. 

Most gun owners have more than one gun so that's sadly going to be impossible.

26 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Most gun owners have more than one gun so that's sadly going to be impossible.

I kind of get it, it's the male urge to have 'collections'. If it's not guitars, it's guns. 

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

A proper double figure murdered one, no. That is true.

A shooting where people get killed/injured? Every hour, every day. 

36th mass shooting of 2023 (4+ deaths not including shooter).  Over 3 per month every month.

https://apnews.com/article/mass-killings-united-states-list-8eea3427796229eb127e052b3c66c691

Or 100+ mass shootings in 2023 if you include multiple people shot and injured:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mass_shootings_in_the_United_States_in_2023

Edited by ender4

13 minutes ago, ender4 said:

36th mass shooting of 2023 (4+ deaths not including shooter).  Over 3 per month every month.

https://apnews.com/article/mass-killings-united-states-list-8eea3427796229eb127e052b3c66c691

Or 100+ mass shootings in 2023 if you include multiple people shot and injured:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mass_shootings_in_the_United_States_in_2023

That’s “just” mass shootings too (which is over 3 or 4 people injured/killed I believe?) - not “just” shootings. They’re near constant in the good ol’ US of A. 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I kind of get it, it's the male urge to have 'collections'. If it's not guitars, it's guns. 

I live next door to a bloke with a collection of guitars. It makes me want a collection of guns.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Â