Gun violence in the USA

Marka Ragnos

There is a massive gulf between what we want to happen and what can/will happen in relation to Gun Laws in the US.

There is no way to make any constitutional amendments anymore. So federal laws are limited in reach due to this being a constitutional issue.

So it's within the powers of different states to legislate on gun laws. There are massive state differences in gun legislation because there are massive differences in peoples views on guns between states.

Nationally there is a 53% to 47% split for stricter gun laws in the US. That is according to pew research as of April 2021. There have been multiple annual mass shootings in the period up to that date. 

The sad fact is it's an inbuilt flaw in the US that means they will be dealing with this for the significant foreseeable future. Mass shootings are part of America now and there are other areas where focus from the left should go that material change can happen for the better of society there.

20 hours ago, choffer said:

It beggars belief. 

It's also not true. I have issue with the constant lies that is now the norm for all debate on everything. 

Pretending there have been 22 mass shootings in the space of just over a week is false and clearly so by a simple Google and check of the websites that track mass shootings in the US. 

It's not like you need to lie about horrific things like mass shootings either. Just reading a list of the numbers of dead is impactful enough. 

We just weaken all our arguments by lying in support of them. 

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

It's also not true. I have issue with the constant lies that is now the norm for all debate on everything. 

Pretending there have been 22 mass shootings in the space of just over a week is false and clearly so by a simple Google and check of the websites that track mass shootings in the US. 

It's not like you need to lie about horrific things like mass shootings either. Just reading a list of the numbers of dead is impactful enough. 

I agree, it cheapens the debate a bit. However at this point you wonder why there even is a debate to be had anymore.

13 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

I agree, it cheapens the debate a bit. However at this point you wonder why there even is a debate to be had anymore.

I agree, what would be good is for people on the left in the political arena like Biden etc.. talk truth and not just pay lip service to the whole thing

Jiat say, this is another terrible event in the continuous stream of these events and the sad fact is there is nothing that will change. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

That was my thought too, initially. I think it comes down to how a mass shooting is qualified. This would suggest the numbers are correct but clearly it sets a low bar what for constitutes a mass shooting. 

59 minutes ago, choffer said:

but clearly it sets a low bar what for constitutes a mass shooting. 

Low bar for America maybe but would be a mass shootings for most other 1st world western countries given most don’t have guns like the US.  

Just shows how much of a problem it is in the US that the bar has to be set that maybe doesn’t show low mass shooting events or “run of the mill” mass shootings. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, CVByrne said:

As much as people want to deride Britain or the EU. We live in a far better world than the average American. 

There was a group of teenage girls huddled together outside the mall, sobbing. A reporter said that one of them said that they were scared to go to school and now just scared to go anywhere. We have permanently traumatized young people here. Kindergartners do active shooter drills. Think about what that instills in the psyche of a child. Imagine being a young student and you've done monthly drills for a few years and then one day you start hearing the AR-15 firing down the hallway. It is beyond a nightmare what's become of this country.

Edited by maqroll

I have a friend who moved his family recently to Spain, partly because of gun violence, but more broadly I think because of the general political environment here. I wouldn't mind doing the same.

6 hours ago, maqroll said:

I have a friend who moved his family recently to Spain, partly because of gun violence, but more broadly I think because of the general political environment here. I wouldn't mind doing the same.

I have a friend who's recently moved from Minnesota to the UK for similar reason's. The idea of his 5 year old doing active shooter drills wasn't enjoyable. 

10 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I have a friend who's recently moved from Minnesota to the UK for similar reason's. The idea of his 5 year old doing active shooter drills wasn't enjoyable. 

For a number of years I have looked into moving to the US but for now it’s the thought of my kids being unsafe in school that makes it a no-no. 

• Like 1

Problem is more and more sane People move away increasing the ratio of nutters.  Which drives out more sane People.

This could be the start of the fall of Rome.

16 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Problem is more and more sane People move away increasing the ratio of nutters.  Which drives out more sane People.

This could be the start of the fall of Rome.

I think it’s more likely (in terms of movement) that the country gets even more segregated. People of a certain view will move to <x> state which supports that view. People in <x> state don’t like where the state is heading so move to <y> state etc. 

A Louisiana man has been arrested after allegedly shooting a 14-year-old girl in the back of her head, according to the Calcasieu Parish Sheriff’s Office.

Detectives spoke to David V. Doyle, the owner of the property. The 58-year-old told authorities that he saw shadows outside his home, went inside and got his firearm.

Detectives say Doyle told them that when he went back outside he saw people running away from his property and began shooting at them, unknowingly hitting the girl.

Shooting people running away from your property???

https://www.nbc15.com/2023/05/08/louisiana-man-accused-shooting-teen-in-back-head-while-she-played-hide-seek/

"Unknowingly" is an interesting description for happening to hit a person you're shooting at.

I think he'll find himself in a great deal of trouble even in Louisiana, it's a "stand your ground" state, but admitting he shot someone who was running away doesn't leave him with much defence, surely.

22 minutes ago, a-k said:

That isn't self-defence, that is revenge. "Unknowingly hitting" someone you knowingly aim for and shoot at when they're running? Yeah, right.

Edit: Davkaus was a tad quicker.

Edited by TB

2 minutes ago, TB said:

That isn't self-defence, that is revenge. "Unknowingly hitting" someone you knowingly aim for and shoot at when they're running? Yeah, right.

At best his defence is "I had no idea what was out there..."

So anyway, I started blasting

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

At best his defence is "I had no idea what was out there..."

So anyway, I started blasting

Which in a sane society wouldn't be a defence at all.

what's crazy about that story is it instantly evoked memories of one of the UKs most famous shootings, the farmer who shot the kid as he ran away, Tony Martin and he got found guilty

our famous shooting which I still remember and it was 24 years ago...

• Like 1

Â