You Wear It Well

Marka Ragnos

On 05/06/2018 at 07:55, Stevo985 said:

ASOS is where I do a large part of my shopping to be honest. Plenty of good stuff on there. I usually end up doing a massive order, and then just send stuff back that I don't like.

Yeah jeans from River Island is a regular, but that's more because I just found a couple of pairs from there that fit really well so I stick with them. I have an annoying body shape (big legs and arse, not such a big waist) so jeans that fit properly are gold dust, especially these days where tighter fitting jeans are the thing to wear.

If I did go into, say, Birmingham to go shopping I'd probably do Topman, River Island, All Saints and Ted Baker. Maybe Selfridges if I'm feeling flush or after something in particular.
H&M is always a good shout for cheap but fairly decent stuff.

The jeans from River Island are really good, and as you say are a good fit. Cheap enough too.

• 3 years later...

This year,' said Tristouse, 'fashions are bizarre and common, simple and full of fantasy. Any material from nature's domain can now be introduced into the composition of women's clothes. I saw a charming dress made of corks .... A major designer is thinking about launching tailor-made outfits made of old bookbindings done in calf .... Fish bones are being worn a lot on hats. One often sees delicious young girls dressed like pilgrims of Saint James of Compostella; their outfits, as is fitting, are studded with coquilles Saint-Jacques. Steel, wool, sandstone, and files have suddenly entered the vestmentary arts. , .. Feathers now decorate not only hats but shoes and gloves; and next year they'll be on umbrellas. They're doing shoes in Venetian glass and hats in Baccarat crystal. ... I forgot to tell you that last Wednesday I saw on the boulevards on old dowager dressed in mirrors stuck to fabric. The effect was sumptuous in the sunlight. You'd have thought it was a gold mine out for a walk. Later it started raining and the lady looked like a silver mine .... Fashion is becoming practical and no longer looks down on anything. It ennobles everything. It does for materials what the Romantics did for words.'"

From Guillaume Apollinaire's novella 'The Poet Assassinated', originally published in 1915.

• Like 1

On 07/12/2015 at 07:49, gharperr said:

What footwear you guys wear with shorts? i usually just go with converses but it always look a little bit "off" to me. Im not a flipflop/sandal guy either

Any smart-casual footwear you recommend which would go with black or grey jeans? 
i struggle with footwear 

I had these on these today in khaki grey. They look ace.

https://www.drmartens.com/uk/en_gb/p/26936481

• Like 1

Footwear, at the moment it’s either skechers or Dune. It took me a lot longer than it should have done to realise it’s worth spending a bit more on footwear. That realisation was after buying a pair of cheap(ish) Firetrap trainers from Sports Direct. My feet just about forgave me.

Jeans, River Island. Slim fit, stretched. Either black or grey in the main. I do own a pair of blue jeans, but they’re not what I would wear out (out).

T-shirts. Assorted colours. From wherever, Next, M&S…as long as the fit is right I don’t mind. A few shirts, but I seldom wear them. Probably need to upgrade them.

Jackets/coats. I own one leather jacket which is sort of autumnal, a couple of slim fit bomber jackets for when the weather should be warm (but isn’t quite), a denim jacket (yes in the right circumstances double denim can work rather well), and a simple, smart winter coat. I would ideally like a “smart” jacket to pair with my jeans but I’m conscious of looking a bit like any of Clarkson, May or Hammond.

One benefit is finding a good tailor who knows their stuff, talks you through your options and what they would recommend. I’ve had a couple of jackets significantly improved by just going in and asking them what they reckon and letting them work their magic. Reasonable prices as well.

For far too long I wore stuff which just didn’t fit. It’s obvious now, but at the time I would think “this shirt cost me a fair few quid, it’s got to look good, right?”. You look better in a £5 t-shirt that fits than a £50 shirt which is too big.

Most items must be plain, cheap, well made with no logos visible. Exceptions to the plain are made for shirts, they can have checks or patterns

This generally means I buy a few items in M&S each year or every other year.

Clothes are functional and the less I have to shop for them the better

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Footwear, at the moment it’s either skechers or Dune. It took me a lot longer than it should have done to realise it’s worth spending a bit more on footwear. That realisation was after buying a pair of cheap(ish) Firetrap trainers from Sports Direct. My feet just about forgave me.

Jeans, River Island. Slim fit, stretched. Either black or grey in the main. I do own a pair of blue jeans, but they’re not what I would wear out (out).

T-shirts. Assorted colours. From wherever, Next, M&S…as long as the fit is right I don’t mind. A few shirts, but I seldom wear them. Probably need to upgrade them.

Jackets/coats. I own one leather jacket which is sort of autumnal, a couple of slim fit bomber jackets for when the weather should be warm (but isn’t quite), a denim jacket (yes in the right circumstances double denim can work rather well), and a simple, smart winter coat. I would ideally like a “smart” jacket to pair with my jeans but I’m conscious of looking a bit like any of Clarkson, May or Hammond.

One benefit is finding a good tailor who knows their stuff, talks you through your options and what they would recommend. I’ve had a couple of jackets significantly improved by just going in and asking them what they reckon and letting them work their magic. Reasonable prices as well.

For far too long I wore stuff which just didn’t fit. It’s obvious now, but at the time I would think “this shirt cost me a fair few quid, it’s got to look good, right?”. You look better in a £5 t-shirt that fits than a £50 shirt which is too big.

I don't know anything about Skechers, apart from the fact that the radio adverts for them with Jamie Redknapp woodenly reading his script like a 6 year old in a school nativity play make them the last trainers I would ever dream of buying.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Risso said:

I don't know anything about Skechers, apart from the fact that the radio adverts for them with Jamie Redknapp woodenly reading his script like a 6 year old in a school nativity play make them the last trainers I would ever dream of buying.

Discovered by accident.  Comfortable as ****. More than hoka, as good as Solomon in respect of comfort as footwear.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Risso said:

Oh I didn’t even think about that. Meh, I could find adverts I don’t like for most things. They’re comfortable and look alright. I think I bought them in Schuh, so I probably assumed that’s what they were when I picked them up.

5 hours ago, Risso said:

That advert does my head in too.  'I know what you're thinking, 'I don't need arch fit...''.  No Jamie, I have never thought that in my life.  I don't even have a clue what arch fit shoes are.  Piss off.

• Haha 2

I am flat footed and keep a pair of trainers with a high arch for the times when I literally can't walk due to me wearing relatively flat shoes for too long. Use of literally is correct in relation to this, I have been on crutches multiple times. You would think I would learn and wear high arched trainers all the time. No. I prefer to wear the trainers of a 15 year old skater. 

7 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I am flat footed and keep a pair of trainers with a high arch for the times when I literally can't walk due to me wearing relatively flat shoes for too long. Use of literally is correct in relation to this, I have been on crutches multiple times. You would think I would learn and wear high arched trainers all the time. No. I prefer to wear the trainers of a 15 year old skater. 

Shirley you could wear the trainers of a 15 year old skater just with high arch insoles...

Good ones aren't cheap but it's better than a stint on crutches.

40 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Shirley you could wear the trainers of a 15 year old skater just with high arch insoles...

Good ones aren't cheap but it's better than a stint on crutches.

I have been looking at a pair that are pro skate shoes that specifically have a high arch. They look like they will do the job whilst also allowing me to look like a middle aged man in the footwear of a child. 

9 hours ago, bickster said:

Most items must be plain, cheap, well made with no logos visible. Exceptions to the plain are made for shirts, they can have checks or patterns

Definitely this. In fact, were it not for your wrongheaded tastes in music, I'd suspect you were me. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

River Island jeans are top tier.

Nearly always get mine from there, they just fit me really well.

10 hours ago, bickster said:

This is the least surprising post I've seen since villalad21 posted negatively about Dean Smith

• Haha 1

I needed a pair of jeans the other week and stumbled into a Levi shop in London whilst Mrs H was in a shoe shop buying enough pairs of shoes for a centipede …they had some 502’s that didn’t look quite as Jeanie and can get away with being casual trousers so thought I’d try them on … .

never worn Levi’s before but they make their jeans via some kind of witchcraft and I had to buy 2 sizes down from my regular waist size … most other jeans I wear usually end up showing my arse crack like a builder if I move around , these things somehow stretch to your body without being over tight and are just ever so comfortable … and I haven’t shown my arse to anyone for a while in Tesco’s 

shame about the price , but definitely worth it 

Edited by tonyh29
spelling

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

River Island jeans are top tier.

Nearly always get mine from there, they just fit me really well.

CK super skinny for me, same as everything time it with the sales and pick up a pair for about £50, CK seem to do some good stuff and some absolutely **** terrible garish stuff, their formal stuff for work chinos, wool jumpers etc is good and in general I think they're cheaper than I expected 

That said I do have 2 pairs of levis for work, 1 dark blue 1 black, both from outlet villages, agree with Tony levis can be a great fit you just need to find your number, 511s for me 

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

CK super skinny for me, same as everything time it with the sales and pick up a pair for about £50, CK seem to do some good stuff and some absolutely **** terrible garish stuff, their formal stuff for work chinos, wool jumpers etc is good and in general I think they're cheaper than I expected 

Legend London are another good place for jeans and trousers if you want a skinny fit.

I'm sure VT would hate it, and they're marketed towards muscular blokes with big legs so the website is a bit cringe. But for someone with big legs and a fat arse like me they work really well for a snug fit.

Â