You Wear It Well

Marka Ragnos

On 18/11/2021 at 12:53, tonyh29 said:

I'm desperately trying to kid myself I don't need glasses to read /type on my phone  , more proof that I'm deluding myself 

About 15 years ago I had to admit defeat that I was gonna be a specky especially as I use a PC for 12 hour shifts.....so I decided that I was gonna wear designer frames, to soften the blow of getting older.

Gucci, burberry, Hilfiger, Hugo Boss, even Puma and superdry were all bought even though a pair of NHS jack duckworth's with a plaster holding one of the frames onto the lens would've done the same job !

My vanity really cost me too much 😒

Edited by mottaloo
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mottaloo said:

About 15 years ago I had to admit defeat that I was gonna be a specky especially as I use a PC for 12 hour shifts.....so I decided that I was gonna wear designer frames, to soften the blow of getting older.

Gucci, burberry, Hilfiger, Hugo Boss, even Puma and superdry were all bought even though a pair of NHS jack duckworth's with a plaster holding one of the frames onto the lens would've done the same job !

My vanity really cost me too much 😒

I had to do a reading at a weeding vow renewal the other day .. finally got photographed wearing my glasses :)  .. I'd have tried to memorise it apart from the fact I didn't know I was doing a reading until my mate called me up to do it ( I'd read it at the wedding in Niagara when they got married) 

I went for a brand called Reykjavik , i wouldn't call them designer but they were priced like they are made out of vibranium , went for them as they were lightweight and comfortable 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Ah, this thread reemerges and the remainder of my evening is me humming that Rod Stewart song but only really knowing the four titular lyrics.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon but to settle down and write you a line 

I've been meaning to phone ya, but from Minnesota, hell it's been a very long time 

But You Wear It Well - there ain't a lady in the land so fine, oh my 

(etc.) 

I know the whole thing, from memory. Never a Dull Moment was a very important album to the 18 year old Mooney. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I know the whole thing, from memory. Never a Dull Moment was a very important album to the 18 year old Mooney. 

Thanks. Unfortunately I think I’m destined to forever sing “But you wear it well…” hum that little tune bit that follows it, then segue into more familiar territory with Maggie May. 

On 18/11/2021 at 12:17, sidcow said:

I had no idea River Island still existed.  Was my go to shop for a while before I realised everyone in there has 10 years younger than me and I thought all their clothes looked stupid.

Was a big fan of concept man for a while

• 1 month later...

Slim fit, basically these, but this chap has forgotten his belt.

990048A8-E355-4C76-A913-BC33F0FA981E.jpeg.7d462979b8ab1e680a64deab0abc2afd.jpeg

I know that baggy jeans are apparently making a bit of a comeback, but frankly I lost too much weight and spent too much money on half a dozen pairs of these jeans just to go back to baggy now.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I know that baggy jeans are apparently making a bit of a comeback, but frankly I lost too much weight and spent too much money on half a dozen pairs of these jeans just to go back to baggy now.

Right on the belt thing. A belt finishes an outfit. 
Also when I lost weight, a distant memory back, I gave skinny chinos a go, I will never financially recover from it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Right on the belt thing. A belt finishes an outfit. 
Also when I lost weight, a distant memory back, I gave skinny chinos a go, I will never financially recover from it. 

I dabbled with chinos years ago, never felt quite right. 

This was around the time I was desperate to find an alternative to jeans. I also had a couple of pairs of linen trousers (my man from Del Monte phase). Again, terrible idea.

I did have a pair of black moleskin trousers. They were pretty good, they had a sort of geography teacher at a smart casual party vibe and were very comfortable.

These days it is just jeans. 

21 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Still, those slims seem like a good balance. I know skinnies are out, but slims aren't lumped in with them. I see women wearing mega baggies in the States where I live, but not too many men right now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Still, those slims seem like a good balance. I know skinnies are out, but slims aren't lumped in with them. I see women wearing mega baggies in the States where I live, but not too many men right now.

These are from River Island, based on the names of the fits, these would be the third slimmest/tightest fit.

I think it goes -

Spray on - skinny

Skinny 

Slim fit

Straight 

Bootcut

Loose

The first two are simply not an option. 

• Like 1

Straight for me. I'm too fat for anything slim/skinny. My jeans are stretch though so they're a good compromise. 

Prior to that I had a bootcut selection that Richard Hammond would have been proud of. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Xela said:

Straight for me. I'm too fat for anything slim/skinny. My jeans are stretch though so they're a good compromise. 

Prior to that I had a bootcut selection that Richard Hammond would have been proud of. 

When I was a kid, in the late 70s and early 80s, bootcuts had a very special signifying role in suburbia, etc. worn by slightly athletic small-time pot dealers, nerds who smoked too many cigarettes, gay men still hanging on to disco ... love 'em. Really great look. Here's some bootcut trousers ... 

dc592491f6d376ea7b8eee64913be711.jpg

Edited by Marka Ragnos

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I dabbled with chinos years ago, never felt quite right. 

This was around the time I was desperate to find an alternative to jeans. I also had a couple of pairs of linen trousers (my man from Del Monte phase). Again, terrible idea.

I did have a pair of black moleskin trousers. They were pretty good, they had a sort of geography teacher at a smart casual party vibe and were very comfortable.

These days it is just jeans. 

Corduroys in the cold months are a solid choice. You can dress them up a bit too.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

Just now, maqroll said:

Corduroys in the cold months are a solid choice. You can dress them up a bit too.

Yeah I had a pair about 15 years ago. They were ok, a bit flare-y. I occasionally toy with the idea of wearing cords again to mix it up but it’s always jeans.

• Like 1

Â