The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

10 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Hot take alert

No idea who that is, but incredibly poor taste path to take immediately after an MP has been stabbed.  State of the nation summed up quite nicely all round, really.

Hopefully the stabbed MP makes a speedy recovery.

Edit:  Seems that, sadly, reports are he has died.

Edited by bobzy
  • Sad 1

Feel like we might need to protect our MPs a bit better going forwards. Jo Cox wasn't that long ago and it seems like it's way too easy for a lunatic to murder one of them.

Horrible news for his family and the country as a whole.

Edited by Panto_Villan

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Exactly this. Violence against the people's representatives is always wrong. It was terrible when Jo Cox was stabbed and died, when Stephen Timms was stabbed and survived, and it's no less terrible today.

I've also just read about a Lib Dem who was killed with a samurai sword in 2000, again at a constituency surgery!

RIP, agreed with those who say we need to do more to protect our representatives. An attack on an MP ought to be considered an attack on our democracy. It should be life imprisonment with absolutely no possibility of parole.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Feel like we might need to protect our MPs a bit better going forwards. Jo Cox wasn't that long ago and it seems like it's way too easy for a lunatic to murder one of them.

Horrible news for his family and the country as a whole.

What all 650-odd of them?

Not sure that's going to be practical. We might see reduced access to MPs rather than actual security measures (body guards etc) which is a terrible state for our democracy to be in but if we're going to see 2 MP's murdered every 5 years it's hard to argue against.

Not to make light or anything but I wondered why I recognised him so well out of the none cabinet MPs.  He was on the Brass Eye 'Cake' shit were they duped him into saying something stupid.

Anyway awful news, this should never happen to anyone doing their job.

4 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Not sure that's going to be practical. We might see reduced access to MPs rather than actual security measures (body guards etc) which is a terrible state for our democracy to be in but if we're going to see 2 MP's murdered every 5 years it's hard to argue against.

If Tony Blair can have round the clock public security (I think at three of his properties, I could be wrong) then I don't see why we can't have basic security for current MPs. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

I'm sure it would be possible to have a single (potentially armed) policeman with each MP when they do public events like this one. They don't do them *that* often from what I understand so it'd only be a few days a month per MP.

1 minute ago, TreeVillan said:

If Tony Blair can have round the clock public security (I think at three of his properties, I could be wrong) then I don't see why we can't have basic security for current MPs. 

I don't know about the particulars around 1 war criminal's security arrangements. I would think that a family as wealthy as the Blairs could afford to pay for a lot of that themselves.

Regardless, I'd wager that protection for 3 residences is much less than for ~650 people.

7 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

A lot lies at the feet of the media.

Labelling public figures as enemies of the people on the front pages was a turning point I feel.

When an MP from one party is saying a bomb should be delivered to a rival MP, and the deputy leader of the opposition is calling government MPs scum, I'm not sure you can pin the blame entirely on the media.

Jo Cox was murdered 6 months before the "enemies of the people" headline too.

• Like 1

Just now, Panto_Villan said:

When an MP from one party is saying a bomb should be delivered to a rival MP, and the deputy leader of the opposition is calling government MPs scum, I'm not sure you can pin the blame entirely on the media.

Jo Cox was murdered 6 months before the "enemies of the people" headline too.

Oh 100% too, but it feels like the media has ramped up the rhetoric.

• Like 1

They will have to do a wholesale review of al constituency surgery  meetings after this with full security, panic rooms and booked appointments after this.  It would be a less democratic model but as a society we murder our representatives once every five years it has to be done.  Four serious attacks in the last 20 years with 3 people getting killed. It has to stop. You might disagree strongly with their views but for surgery meetings they are just doing their job.

• Like 2

Â