The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

18 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

There should be votes of no confidence in the coming weeks and the tories out by Christmas the way things are right now.

With the size of the Tories majority, motions of no confidence are not going to happen no matter who the leader of the opposition is

The opposition is weak due to the number of seats it has

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

The opposition is weak due to the number of seats it has

One of the reasons, it's not the reason that despite the shitshow in the last year they're still behind in the polls though

• Like 2

Will the report on how we handled covid last year have any impact? Or will it just be Boris did his best and Corbyn would have been worse? 

“one of the most important public health failures the United Kingdom has ever experienced”

Is a pretty strong statement. 

32 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Will the report on how we handled covid last year have any impact? Or will it just be Boris did his best and Corbyn would have been worse? 

“one of the most important public health failures the United Kingdom has ever experienced”

Is a pretty strong statement. 

It'll make zero difference. The establishment gaslight of 2015-2019 that Tories are the natural party of government is now so ingrained in 40% of voters that they'll vote Tory no matter what happens.

• Like 3

I actually have hopes for this report. Not for its substance so much but as a sign that his party are coming for Boris. It is no surprise to see Jeremy Hunt behind it - he has been needling Bozza for some time, and this is very much an intentional wounding too, there will be more and more of this as the party jostles for a new leader.

Love to fondly reminisce about that period, and remember how Britain's political media were, as usual, holding the opposition and the public to account on behalf of the government:

FBdDE9xXIAUKiE3?format=jpg&name=large

I've heard Ayesha Hazarika asked to give her opinion on multiple different stories on Radio 4 in recent weeks. 

EDIT: Momentarily forgot the other classic of the period:

Eb2VHZtXYAMYiDl?format=jpg&name=medium

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

So the decision making by the Government led to deaths, official. 

No calls for the Prime Minister who was regularly going against expert advice to resign?

He did his best

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

The one that sticks in my mind was the return after Christmas. Covid was rampant and schools and teachers unions were pleading to delay the return of students.

Boris refused all requests, insisted they all return from their mixy, mixy Christmas break for 1 day before then closing schools.

There must be hundreds and hundreds of deaths linked to this alone.

He needs to be arrested, not fired/resign.

That really was absolutely mental

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

It proved he put his own personal stubbornness ahead of people’s lives. 

Johnson isn't stubborn. It's all about him and his optics, he does what is best for that, he'd change his mind at the drop of a hat as long as it worked in his favour

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Johnson isn't stubborn. It's all about him and his optics, he does what is best for that, he'd change his mind at the drop of a hat as long as it worked in his favour

I thought at the time he didn’t want to be seen to be told what to do by the unions so refused it just for one day as an act of stubbornness.

Sunday night: We’re opening schools as planned tomorrow despite the wave of opposition.

Monday night: We need to immediately close the schools to stop the spread.

He only came out of that worse. Must be stubbornness.

43 minutes ago, Genie said:

The one that sticks in my mind was the return after Christmas. Covid was rampant and schools and teachers unions were pleading to delay the return of students.

Boris refused all requests, insisted they all return from their mixy, mixy Christmas break for 1 day before then closing schools.

There must be hundreds and hundreds of deaths linked to this alone.

He needs to be arrested, not fired/resign.

It was disgraceful and equally as shocking as to how its been forgotten. 

There are no consequences anymore. 

• Like 1

You have to scroll a long way down the BBC mobile homepage to find the story, and then it’s the headline 

Covid inquiry: When will it happen and how does it work?

A new report by MPs has put the government's decision-making during the coronavirus pandemic under the spotlight.

It's led to fresh calls for an independent public inquiry to begin straight away - but the government says it will not start before the spring.

A nice side step by the Beeb of what the big story is today.

• Like 1

It's just an unbelievably incompetent government, isn't it? I despised the coalition government, and May was even worse than that, but I trusted them to keep the lights on. 

It's not been as bad as it could have been (that'll be BoJo's 2024 GE slogan), but more than once in the last few months when shops were mental and then again when I couldn't get fuel, I was glad for my under the stairs "Brexit Box" of dried goods, which I really thought was an absurd last resort, and I didn't really expect to need it. I wasn't seriously worried about energy over the winter until the energy secretary said he was certain the gas would stay on; I've ordered some candles and batteries this week. The idea of needing them a couple of years ago would have been absolutely daft, but would you bet against it this winter?

• Like 3

The problem with the covid inquiry, and in particular the apparent focus on decision-making in March 2020, is that ministers will point out that it was an essentially unprecedented situation in our lifetimes (and they'll be right), that other large comparator countries haven't had all that many fewer deaths proportionally (Belgium, Italy and the US have a higher per-capita death rate, ours is slightly higher than Spain, a bigger gap to France and then worse to others - they can spin that, especially since we compare everything to the US as a default), and most importantly that they were following scientific advice (which is largely true, especially at the early stage).

I think they will defend that quite easily. Harder questions would be about the confusion around the New Year lockdown, (separately) the complete mess they made of education and exams, and their disastrous decision to release covid-positive old people into care homes while doing nothing about agency staff. However, some of that was already brought up as part of Cummings' testimony, so we already have an idea of how little lasting impact even those issues have.

Unfortunately, I think most people are either a] so glad it's over (or 'over') they don't want to relitigate it (I kind of feel that way myself), or b] prepared to put it down to a freak occurence that no one could have done a better job of. I think that's very disappointing, but that's where I'm at.

Johnson was just bloody unlucky so many of the key covid events coincided with his holidays.

The times he had to come back to take personal control of situations. It was crazy.

I believe he’s away at the moment, and here we are, yet again, discussing it in his absence. The poor bugger. 

• Like 3

Â