The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Jeremy Hunt receives ‘Humanitarian Award’ for his work in patient safety

https://nursingnotes.co.uk/jeremy-hunt-receives-humanitarian-award-work-patient-safety/

Jeremy Hunt has been awarded ‘Humanitarian Award’ at the World Patient Safety Summit for his global leadership on patient safety.

The Health Secretary, Jeremy Hunt MP, was given the prestigious award during a ceremony at the 6th Annual World Conference on Patient Safety yesterday.

Previous winners of the award include; President Barack Obama, Vice President Joe Biden and Dr. Patrick H. Conway – all of whom worked tirelessly towards free and equal access to healthcare services in the US.

Every year the Patient Safety Movement Foundation identifies the most influential advocates in patient safety and honours them with the Humanitarian Award at the annual World Patient Safety, Science and Technology Summit. This award recognises leaders who have made significant progress in eliminating preventable patient deaths – aiming towards a shared goal of zero by 2020.

Honestly.

• Confused 4

It would appear that the Commissioner for Public Appointments is rather unhappy at the processes surrounding recruitment to the OfS board - most especially about the Dept. of Education's due diligence (or lack thereof) concerning Toby Young and the involvement of No. 10 SPADs' apparent vetoing of candidates for the 'student experience' role.

It's really pretty shoddy stuff.

A link to the report (pdf) can be found here:

Peter Riddell, the Commissioner for Public Appointments, has completed his investigation into the recent appointments to the Board of the Office for Students and published his report.

The Commissioner’s role is to regulate and monitor appointments made by ministers to the boards of public bodies to ensure they are in line with Government’s Governance Code 2016.

The Commissioner investigated these appointments under Section 4(3) of the Public Appointment’s Order in Council 2016.  He has also replied to correspondence he received about the appointments to the OFS board, and written to the Minister for Implementation and the relevant select committees.

The Commissioner has also published a short annex on proportionate and practical due diligence for public appointments as requested by departments, ministers and the Committee on Standards in Public Life.

Peter Riddell commented:

‘My investigation uncovered a number of areas where important principles in the Governance Code were breached or compromised in the appointments to the board of the Office for Students.  In my experience, this episode is unrepresentative of the hundreds of public appointments that take place each year, but it is important that lessons are learned – not least so that talented people from a wide range of backgrounds are willing to put themselves forward to serve on the boards of public bodies.’

Edited by snowychap

Thursday 1st March:

Theresa May urges Britain to 'come back together'

'Theresa May will urge the warring Brexit tribes to put their differences behind them on Friday as she promises to deliver a deal with Brussels that will keep Britain an “open, outward-looking, tolerant, European democracy”.

In a carefully calibrated speech, its platform hastily relocated from Newcastle to London’s Mansion House because of the severe weather, the prime minister will make a deliberate overture to anxious remain voters.

“We must bring our country back together, taking into account the views of everyone who cares about this issue, from both sides of the debate”, she will say, addressing her own divided party, as well as the public.'

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/mar/01/may-overture-to-eu-remainers-puts-stress-on-tolerant-democracy

Monday 5th March:

• Like 3

The Tories have no intention of trying to bring the country together. Their tactics have always been divide and conquer and the country is more divided than I can remember in my adult life (I am 44).

They love a scapegoat as well so when things go wrong they can point the finger and blame away from themselves. When Brexit inevitably all goes tits up and we are up shit creek it will be those who didn't tow the lines fault and "who betrayed the country"

• Like 2

14 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

the country is more divided than I can remember in my adult life (I am 44).

Which just shows we were all united in our hatred of Blair & Brown   :) 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

The Tories have no intention of trying to bring the country together. Their tactics have always been divide and conquer and the country is more divided than I can remember in my adult life (I am 44).

They love a scapegoat as well so when things go wrong they can point the finger and blame away from themselves. When Brexit inevitably all goes tits up and we are up shit creek it will be those who didn't tow the lines fault and "who betrayed the country"

How do you think these divisions manifest themselves?  I'm 46, so a bit older than you, and in my the country felt a lot, lot more divided in the 80s.  Things were a lot shitter in the 70s, but I suppose you could argue that everything was shit, and just about everybody was poor.  So the country was less divided, because it was universally dreadful for everybody.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Risso said:

How do you think these divisions manifest themselves?  I'm 46, so a bit older than you, and in my the country felt a lot, lot more divided in the 80s.  Things were a lot shitter in the 70s, but I suppose you could argue that everything was shit, and just about everybody was poor.  So the country was less divided, because it was universally dreadful for everybody.

I was 16 in 1990 so wasn't an adult during Thatchers years of destruction but I am certainly aware that the witch created and resided over a very divided nation.

I think today that division manifests itself in widening inequality and on a very real level in the way in which people will happily point the finger at those on benefits or at foreigners for any woes and a tendency since brexit of telling foreigners, or perceived foreigners,  to go home.

Politically the gap in the differences in the two main parties has never been wider during my adult life. The Tories have certainly gone further to the right and Labour are as far left as they have been since the 80's.

Edited by markavfc40

1 hour ago, Risso said:

How do you think these divisions manifest themselves?  I'm 46, so a bit older than you, and in my the country felt a lot, lot more divided in the 80s....

Probably worth noting that after relatively long periods of Tory government, whether it''s the 80s or the nowsies (can I copyright that,?) the country ended up bitterly divided. It's what they do.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

I was 16 in 1990 so wasn't an adult during Thatchers years of destruction but I am certainly aware that the witch created and resided over a very divided nation.

I think today that division manifests itself in widening inequality and on a very real level in the way in which people will happily point the finger at those on benefits or at foreigners for any woes and a tendency since brexit of telling foreigners, or perceived foreigners,  to go home.

Politically the gap in the differences in the two main parties has never been wider during my adult life. The Tories have certainly gone further to the right and Labour are as far left as they have been since the 80's.

I don’t agree with the last bit. The Labour party are obviously as far left as they’ve ever been, but I don’t agree the the Tories are further to the right really. They’re obviously making a balls up of Brexit, but I wouldn’t say that makes them right wing especially, just a bit useless.

Just caught up on a few pages.  

Do any of you before posting, just look at what's going on, regardless of where you stand, and think "things aren't meant to be like this, surely?". 

Now for the older guys, has the country ever been in its current fractious state before?  Is this just another part of history like this, or is it as bad as it feels it is? 

48 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I suspect that the divisions have always been there, but until social media got going, they were never so exposed. 

That's true, I'm sure. I think also, however, that in the 80s when there were the poll tax riots, the miners strike, Wapping, vast parts of the north hating Thatcherism and Thatcher (and even more so Scotland really, really hating Thatcher)...and then now, where Brexit has opened up new splits, and then there's the NHS stuff, "immigrants" and all that kerfuffle, that the tories when they're in for a while really seem to be so divisive.

On top of that, and for some sort of balance, inept Labour (Corbyn now, Foot then and then Kinnock - with Labour splitting int two halves, really) and there was the SDP  - things are now, as they were back then, particularly divided. And of course twitter and I assume facepage and those ones, amplify it, or make it more visible or immediate.

3 hours ago, Risso said:

I don’t agree with the last bit. The Labour party are obviously as far left as they’ve ever been, 

I agree with @bickster on this. They aren't as far left as they have ever been but they are certainly the furthest left they have been since the 80's, although given they spent 15 years under Blair/Brown being centre right, that wasn't difficult.

Edited by markavfc40

North West parks could be sold by cash-strapped councils

More than half of councils in the North West of England are considering selling parks or finding other organisations to maintain them within the next three years, a BBC investigation has found.

The local authorities claim they are being forced to take these measures to counterbalance government budget cuts.

Knowsley Council says it intends to sell 17 parks and use the money raised to "forever" protect its remaining 144.

Protesters say giving up green space for development is "soul destroying".

The BBC Inside Out North West investigation revealed 60% of local authorities had cut their parks budgets since 2015.

It found 57% were considering selling or handing over responsibility for them and 31% had done so already.

BBC

Music to the ears of lobbyists for the building industry.

Â