The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

11 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Hasn't he expelled diplomats on the basis of his evidence of Russian responsibility?

He hasn’t, done that, no. Not his decision.

thought this was quite interesting on the   bolshevik broadcasting corporation

The leader of Britain's biggest teaching union this week told his members they had succeeded in making school funding the biggest issue at the 2017 general election.

And he made "no apology" for spending £326,306 of their money - more than UKIP or the Green Party - on campaigning in the year before the snap election

They found 10.4% of voters changed their mind about who to vote for due to school funding policy, the equivalent of 795,000 people switching their vote.

Education also rose rapidly up the league table of issues voters cared about as the campaign progressed, according to pollsters Ipsos Mori.

5 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

thought this was quite interesting on the   bolshevik broadcasting corporation

What did you find interesting about it? genuinely interested, because it's one of those things that can be looked at in many ways - e.g "look at that bad union spending money to change (sort of) the result - they're no different to Cambridge Analytica!" or "I didn't know unions spent that much on publicising their viewpoint" or "they've done well to bring the concerns of so many teachers to the attention of the public" or etc.?

22 minutes ago, blandy said:

What did you find interesting about it? genuinely interested, because it's one of those things that can be looked at in many ways - e.g "look at that bad union spending money to change (sort of) the result - they're no different to Cambridge Analytica!" or "I didn't know unions spent that much on publicising their viewpoint" or "they've done well to bring the concerns of so many teachers to the attention of the public" or etc.?

Bit of everything I suppose

I was surprised that that the teachers union had actually done that , not so much in the bad union way ,teachers have by and large  always been lefties so them being anti Tory is part of the territory to some extent , just i didn’t necessarily realise it was within their remit to do what they did (or allowed to be ) .

I hadn’t really heard of the campaign itself tbh (right wing media bias perhaps :) ) Yet although  it didn’t get as much publicity as say Momentum did arguably it delivered as much / maybe more than they did  ?  

So interesting to a degree how a few thousand people can shape an election ...the  Tories don’t really have any grass roots campaigning  like that on its side ( other than Putin who is currently campaigning for them :) ) for the the next election whereas ,as  Bicks says other areas could be mobilised in an anti austerity / Tory movement for future elections 

and finally I thought I’d read that momentum were trying to break labour away from the Unions ( or maybe it’s just a fringe of members ? ) and thus it seemed counter productive that they couldpotentially lose support that helped them stop May from within the party itself 

* slight ramble as I’m trying to do 3 things at once and failing on all 3 counts 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

...the  Tories don’t really have any grass roots campaigning  like that on its side

Just to mention three things:

They have an effective ground campaign based on getting out the vote.  The concept is an old one, they execute it efficiently, and it is effective.  The old joke is about giving pensioners a lift to the polling station, but it's so much more than that.

They have got to grips with social media.  Thankfully my journeys on the web don't take me to those dark places, but I gather they have become quite good at connecting with a certain segment, younger than the dying cohort mentioned above, who respond to the dog whistles.

Dog whistles of course takes us to the media.  It's a sort of grass roots campaigning, influencing outcomes without actually speaking to people.  It's effective as well.

And we haven't even touched on Cambridge Media, or Taxdodger Ashcroft's targetted camaign funding in marginals...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

i didn’t necessarily realise it was within their remit to do what they did (or allowed to be ) .

Not 100 percent sure, but the tories, through the lobbying bill have now rigged the game to prevent charities etc. from campaigning in the run up to elections. The original aim of the bill was to prevent secret corporate lobbying of ministers by big business etc, but they swerved that and put a gag on a wide range of charities and other open bodies.

• Like 1

HateMail (don't click the link, it only makes them grow stronger):

Top Conservative MP tipped as a future Prime Minister admits breaking the law by hacking into a Labour opponent's website

'A Tory MP tipped as a future Prime Minister has admitted breaking the law by hacking into a Labour opponent’s website.

Kemi Badenoch, a newly appointed vice-chairman of the party, confessed that she launched the cyber-attack on the Labour MP’s site in order to write pro-Tory propaganda under their name.

Hacking into websites is a criminal offence – and can be punished with a prison sentence of up to two years.

Her confession, in an interview obtained by The Mail on Sunday, is particularly embarrassing for Downing Street because Ms Badenoch is a rising star who has been tasked by Theresa May with increasing the number of women and ethnic-minority MPs in the party.

Ms Badenoch, MP for Saffron Walden, Essex, made the admission when she was asked what was the ‘naughtiest’ thing she had ever done. 

She replied that before she became an MP she had ‘hacked into a Labour MP’s website’, adding: ‘I changed all the stuff in there to say nice things about the Tories.’

Last night, Ms Badenoch apologised for what she described as a ‘foolish prank’. 

She declined to identify the Labour MP.

Tory chairman Brandon Lewis is standing by Ms Badenoch.'

Last line is key - Lewis is indeed standing by her:

'Hostile environment' success stories keep a-rollin' in:

Man living in UK for 56 years loses job over immigration papers

'An experienced special needs teaching assistant lost his job after his employers ruled that he was an illegal immigrant, despite the fact he has lived in the UK for more than 50 years.

Michael Braithwaite, who arrived in Britain from Barbados in 1961, had worked at a north London primary school for over 15 years when a routine check on his immigration status revealed he did not have an up-to-date identity document.

The personnel department got in touch to tell him that without a biometric card he could not continue to be employed. The 66-year-old lost his full-time job in 2017 after the local authority ruled he needed to submit documentary proof that he had the right to live in the UK. He has been trying for two years without success to get the Home Office to acknowledge that he is in Britain legally.

The unexpected immigration difficulties have pushed him close to a mental breakdown. “It made me feel like I was an alien. I almost fell apart with the stress,” he said.

Braithwaite arrived in London with his family when he was nine, when his father moved to work for the Post Office, and he has lived in the UK since. He had always assumed he was British, having attended primary school and secondary school here, and having worked continuously since leaving school. He married in London and has three British children and five grandchildren.

“I never applied for a British passport. We thought we were British,” he said. Because he arrived in the UK before 1973 he has an automatic permanent right to remain, but the introduction of the “hostile environment” policy by Theresa May as home secretary in 2013 has required employers, the NHS, Jobcentre staff and landlords to run checks for papers, causing problems for people who do not have documentary proof of their right to live in the UK.'

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/09/special-needs-teacher-uk-50-years-loses-job-immigration-status

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Theresa May not invited to Harrys wedding :crylaugh:how humilating 

Cant be true surely ? Serving PM and all that. 

What a disaster PR wise.  Whatever she does on that day she will look a word removed.  To dull,  like walking around a garden centre with her 1940's forger husband,  or too flashy, goes up the Thames on a Jet ski lopping the left one out.  What a quandary, what to do.  I bet she would love a bit of bad news on that day so she can be clear about it on TV and it gives her an excuse why she cant be there in person.

1 hour ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Cant be true surely ? Serving PM and all that. 

What a disaster PR wise.  Whatever she does on that day she will look a word removed.  To dull,  like walking around a garden centre with her 1940's forger husband,  or too flashy, goes up the Thames on a Jet ski lopping the left one out.  What a quandary, what to do.  I bet she would love a bit of bad news on that day so she can be clear about it on TV and it gives her an excuse why she cant be there in person.

Heard it on the radio if true hilarious 

• Haha 1

Â