The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Theresa May has refused to rule out giving US companies access to NHS contracts as part of a future trade deal with Donald Trump’s White House.

At prime minister’s questions on Wednesday, the Liberal Democrat leader, Vince Cable, challenged May over how she would respond if Washington pushed for access to Britain’s public services for US corporations.

“The prime minister knows that one of the key objectives of American trade negotiators in any future deal after Brexit is to secure access for American companies to business in the NHS,” he said. “Can she give an absolute guarantee that in those negotiations the NHS will be excluded from their scope? And can she confirm that in her conversations with President Trump she’s made it absolutely clear to him that the NHS is not for sale?”

The prime minister refused to do so, instead insisting that Cable, a former business secretary, “doesn’t know what they’re going to say in their requirements for that free trade agreement. We will go into those negotiations to get the best possible deal for the United Kingdom.”

Afterwards May’s press secretary repeatedly refused to comment further. He stressed that as part of TTIP, the US-EU trade deal that has never been finalised, the UK had secured exemptions to ensure the NHS could not be targeted.

However, he would not rule out, in principle, US private sector involvement in the NHS in future.

Grauniad

9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Indeed. Though many posters on this site seem not to like the only way to do that.

I was more talking internally within the Tory Party. A leadership election is needed, if it leads to a massive schism, so be it

• Like 1

Just now, blandy said:

Not even close. This lot are in a different league of incompetence, ideological idocy and delusion in every area.

the only surprise was that you didn't try and qualify it with VT's standard " and I'm not a labour supporter" line :) 

May still has time (or maybe not ) but for now Brown is a stand out winner , the current mob bad as they are can only sit in awe at the true master

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Most incompetent and inept definitely, worst? Depends on how you define that I guess

Relentlessly botching (at best, willfully **** up at worst) one of the most important political decisions in our history has to put some weight behind them being truly terrible.

If they had red ties we wouldn't even have a debate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

article-1134492-033A9667000005DC-994_233

History I think will be a little kinder to Big Gord than you. As Chancellor, he presided over the longest period of sustained economic growth  ever. As Prime Minister , he took up the challenge of the Global banking crisis and prevented what could have been a total meltdown. Compared to the utter idiots in charge of the disaster that is upon us now, he looks like a rock of competence. Having met him, and listened to him, I can honestly say he is one of the warmest and most caring politicians one could hope to meet. Pity he isn’t still PM. Wouldn’t be suffering the shit storm were having now.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Risso said:

Hundreds of thousands of dead Iraqis say hello.  Or they would, if they hadn't died as a result of an illegal invasion.

Henry Herbert Asquith wonders why he's been ignored if deaths during pointless wars is a criterion

• Like 1

Â