The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

19 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

In fairness wasn't it in the Tory manifesto in 2015 so he pretty much had to go through with it.

The vote should never have gone the way it did and it wouldn't have done had the remain campaign not been based on fear but on shouting out the positives of remaining in the EU. Leave in fairness played a blinder as they promoted positives. They may have been based on total bullshit but they were positives non the less and for many people whose research doesn't go much beyond reading the headline in the sun or daily mail it was enough.

That was the whole point though wasn't it?  Farage and his ilk were stealing a little bit of the limelight and some of the right wing voters were flashing "come and get me" glances in that direction.

Cameron put it into the manifesto to ensure he kept hold of those voters, and attracted a few others who didn't like the forrins.  He never expected to lose, so it was a logical step for him.

Then BJ The Clown rocks up and fancies his chances of getting one over on his old school rival.

The rest, as they say, is misery.

• Like 2

@NurembergVillan I get everything you are saying and it is spot on that it was in the Tory manifesto to snatch a few UKippers but I can't say I really hold that against Cameron as it is the kind of thing parties/leaders have done through out time.

The failing wasn't in promising a referendum to hold off UKIP the failing was in not having a positive remain campaign to defeat them and other leavers.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Risso said:

Don’t forget even Labour were getting nervous, promosing a referendum in the event of a big change in EU laws.

Isn't that a bit like someone saying "you can't blame Tony Blair for the Iraq war, the Tories would have done it as well..." ?

Which I'm guessing you would give the short-shrift that it would deserve.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Chindie said:

Anyway, Tories... More bashing. It's what they're there for.

I mentioned it the other day but, as much as May is dreadful, the rest the party is as bad or worse. There isn't a sensible candidate in there and with Brexit being so bitter inside the party, nobody stands out as having the support of the party. May only managed it by walking through the rain drops. Now? **** me, the names are all atrocious. 

She'll stay in the job partly because nobody else will unite support currently, and mostly because no one is fool enough to let the all the shit spatter them in the current horror show.

Nonsense, Rees-Mogg is a thoroughly likable sort of oddball who harkens back to ye olde tyme. The Gruan said so in a bizarre puff piece today, therefore it is so.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/feb/09/after-decades-in-the-making-jacob-rees-mogg-time-may-be-coming

"Watching Rees-Mogg around parliament shows he is a man of a remarkable calm certainty; if his face flushes slightly under pressure, his steady voice never changes pitch. Political colleagues and opponents say they have never seen him lose his temper; when asked what he is like in private, everybody starts by emphasising his courtesy." :puke:

36 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Isn't that a bit like someone saying "you can't blame Tony Blair for the Iraq war, the Tories would have done it as well..." ?

Which I'm guessing you would give the short-shrift that it would deserve.

No, not an attempt at apportioning blame which starts and ends with the Conservatives. More an attempt at explaining why it was likely that a referendum might have been likely at some point whoever was in power. There was a mood in the country that wasn’t going away.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Risso said:

No, not an attempt at apportioning blame which starts and ends with the Conservatives. More an attempt at explaining why it was likely that a referendum might have been likely at some point whoever was in power. There was a mood in the country that wasn’t going away.

You're not wrong.  Farage and his cohort in the right wing media had stirred the pot successfully enough to ensure something had to happen.  They'd also laid the groundwork to play on a lot of people's unfounded fears and win the bloody thing.

576673f01500002b0073b557.jpeg

04147F9B000003E8-0-image-a-3_15165422914

it was a heady mix of fear of the muslim immigrants massing in Calais and Rotherham, funny pasty waving clown politicians, and fixing the NHS

vs

the grey people that were promising more of the same shit that had landed you with your current bank balance

Once Cameron let that battle happen on those terms, his pleasant amateur toff politician persona was simply not up to the task he'd set himself.

To date, he's getting off very very lightly.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, darrenm said:

Of course don't forget that Cameron was also under pressure from lib Dems to have a referendum.

Clegg-referendum-page-001-353x500.jpg.c88a91fcd361c2769fae9e47baccfc16.jpg

Ah yes, the We'll Say Anything for Votes Party. Nothings changed with them really since I started following politics in the late 70's. The seriously will say anything they think makes them look good.

Take the classic Focus Newsletter where they advertise to everyone in the borough which fences are in disrepair (around a school playing field for example) and they are putting pressure to bear on the relevant department to fix this issue. Sounds great, unless you live on the other side of the fence and the Knobhead Party just advertised.... Burgle Here to every house in the area. Looks good though until you get hit by a Liberal Turdbomb

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

And now they want another one.  Do they just permanantly want an EU Referendum?

A continual referendum might be a good thing actually. Have a live score from smartphones of in or out and our tarriffs can applied in real time.

©Darrenm 2018

Â