The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Is this 'Activate' thing a parody or a genuine(ly cringeworthy) 'movement'?

They have just come out with an endorsement for that Jacob-Tarquinfarquar-Reece-Muggytits or whatever he's called. 

#Mongmentum indeed. 

27 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

They have just come out with an endorsement for that Jacob-Tarquinfarquar-Reece-Muggytits or whatever he's called. 

#Mongmentum indeed. 

Momentum people seem very confident it's real. I thought it was a send up at first but they wouldn't be taking the Mick so much if it was just a troll.

4 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

#Mongmentum indeed. 

It's proof that satire is dead

• Like 1

Speaking of Jacob Rees-Mogg.  What an utter arsehat.  If the question is how do you get a worse leader than Theresa May, then JRS is the answer.  This is from this morning, so hot off the press.  Almost everything I hear about him makes my skin crawl and he is one of the favorites to take over as leader of the Torys and therefore probably the country.

Asked if his opposition was so absolute it included cases of rape and incest, he told ITV’s Good Morning Britain: “I’m afraid so. Life is sacrosanct. It begins at the point of conception, and I think it is wrong.”

He's a proper Victorian old school toff Tory that hides just how nasty those views are to a modern audience with a slant on the Boris routine, Boris goes buffoon, Jacob goes for the harmless quaint toff.

He'd be a horrific leader. You'd have poor houses back within weeks.

18 minutes ago, Rodders said:

rees mogg is a **** moron. but him actually coming out with ludicrous statements like this should help stifle that ironic pro mogg nonsense.

Kind of what we said about Trump.

6 minutes ago, choffer said:

Kind of what we said about Trump.

Same thing struck me.  I wonder how many people follow him on twitter in an ironic fashion?  However many that are tuned in to him for the lols, I'm pretty sure that Tory party HQ are not able to tell the difference and just see him getting surprisingly popular.  Given the absolute paucity of choice in the Tory ranks to replace May, JRS may get the nod and could become PM without even having to go to the polls.  This thought depresses me very much.

Rumours of a Cabinet reshuffle post-conference and that he'll be given a ministerial role. 

If that happens, it'll be a sign that those making the decisions see it as a realistic scenario, rather than the hilarious joke that anybody with a working brain would see it as.

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

rees mogg is a **** moron. but him actually coming out with ludicrous statements like this should help stifle that ironic pro mogg nonsense.

how do you compare Moggs views with say an MP who votes against making it law that gender selective abortion is illegal ?

well I'm pro choice and whatever the reason someone has for an abortion is up to them. Whilst personally I would find gender selection to be an odd reason to have an abortion, I wouldn't make  that illegal.

He should be free to think whatever he thinks, but it would be wishful thinking to think people could acknowledge that personal view but not also have concerns about what he would do about potential changes to legislation .Even though he says he wouldn't change the law, it would still be worrying, even for other stuff unrelated to abortion. It's someone who opposes abortion even for rape and incest, showing a contempt for women's rights and bodies right there, in what other areas could his views cause problems?  One man's "principles" are another's intolerable stubborness / inability to empathise.

He's someone who genuinely thinks 'Every sperm is sacred'. :/

Edited by Rodders

JRM really is the gift that keeps on giving though.

He'd be the biggest electoral disaster to hit the Tories in almost forever. This ain't Murica for one. Jez/Labour are incredibly popular for two.  People really didn't want Billary for three, which gave Trumpton the 'in' that he needed.

The cat's views are abhorrent and Victorian, and as such, if he were to become Tory leader, it'd be a real gift horse for Labour.

Edited by Jon
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

how do you compare Moggs views with say an MP who votes against making it law that gender selective abortion is illegal ?

Gender selective abortion for fashion reasons should be illegal.

Gender selective abortion due to inherited birth defects etc that only pass to one sex..not so much.

Having a position of absolutism on abortion is charming, quaint and reassuringly old school. Unless you're the person that needs that abortion, in which case it's psychotically cruel.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Jon said:

JRM really is the gift that keeps on giving though.

He'd be the biggest electoral disaster to hit the Tories in almost forever. This ain't Murica for one. Jez/Labour are incredibly popular for two.  People really didn't want Billary for three, which gave Trumpton the 'in' that he needed.

The cat's views are abhorrent and Victorian, and as such, if he were to become Tory leader, it'd be a real gift horse for Labour.

don't let Momentum fanboys posting on Facebook  fool you regarding the Dear Leader  , the last poll had those with an unfavourable view of Jez rising from 46% to 51% , I don't call that incredibly popular ( though of course it is a better rating than May if you use her as the benchmark for popularity)

Regarding Mogg  , I've only really seen him in action on QT a few months back , and generally speaking he was very well received  in the Tory heartland that was Doncaster (I believe) where that show was coming from .. I know QT have a tendency to rig audiences so it's hard to judge solely on that ,  but he does seem to speak openly even when perhaps the best course of action would be to not answer the question and then try and move onto blaming Labour ...

as it was the subject matter today , is abortion that strong an issue to turn voters away in droves from him (in the unlikely event he was leader)  ? when Joe Public goes into the box , what % will have abortion as their burning issue  that prevents them voting for him  .. of course coupled with other issues that could make him unpalatable for an electorate  , but as we've seen with Corbyn , the public don't seem to care that you are a opportunistic charlatan if you say enough empty promises that are popular

Just now, chrisp65 said:

Gender selective abortion for fashion reasons should be illegal.

Gender selective abortion due to inherited birth defects etc that only pass to one sex..not so much.

Having a position of absolutism on abortion is charming, quaint and reassuringly old school. Unless you're the person that needs that abortion, in which case it's psychotically cruel.  

I assume by fashion you meant religious grounds , which was what the law was trying to prevent

which is interesting to a degree , MP's voted against blocking abortion on religious grounds yet  in that interview  Mogg stated he was a practising Catholic  (which probably rules him out of being PM anyway) and thus is expressing a view based on his  religious view

Now , we here on VT have our views around religion and people that live by an outdated view and imaginary deities , but there are still some people who live by religion , if we deny Mogg his religious views , should we deny muslims or Hindu's theirs ?  etc etc

Â