The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

9 hours ago, ml1dch said:

As if Johnson knows the difference between gross and net contributions.

Norgrove might as well be complaining that his dog doesn't understand the difference between alternating and direct current.

He knows alright. He's a brazen liar.

I agree with @blandy, and I think saying that Johnson, the beneficiary of education at Eton and Balliol College Oxford, might not be able to grasp what is an exceedingly simple distinction that a ten year old could understand, is letting him off the hook very easily. 

He lies because he likes lying and he finds it advantageous, not because he's simple. 

• Like 3

Let's not forget that Boris was also educated at the European School in Brussels.

Must be nice having the advantages of a european education. Born in the States too. Must be nice being able to take advantage of a little economic migration.

• Like 2

So he lies EU contributions, trotting out this £350m a week nonsense again. Gets called out by the stats authority, then comes off a phone call with them, and lies about what was discussed on the phone. Only to get called out for lying again. 

He'd claim that up is down, and conspire to have journalists beaten up if it suited his personal goals, the lovable toff rascal. :) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I agree with @blandy, and I think saying that Johnson, the beneficiary of education at Eton and Balliol College Oxford, might not be able to grasp what is an exceedingly simple distinction that a ten year old could understand, is letting him off the hook very easily. 

He lies because he likes lying and he finds it advantageous, not because he's simple. 

He's an innumerate classics graduate, he's not qualified to talk about economics.

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He's an innumerate classics graduate, he's not qualified to talk about economics.

Understanding the difference between 'net' and 'gross' is not complex economics. I'm also a humanities graduate, and I can manage to grasp the distinction. 

He has also had huge numbers of people explain to him why that number is not correct over the last year or so.

Edited by HanoiVillan

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Understanding the difference between 'net' and 'gross' is not complex economics. I'm also a humanities graduate, and I can manage to grasp the distinction. 

He has also had huge numbers of people explain to him why that number is not correct over the last year or so.

Obviously is complex to him. His true comfort zone is burying his head in the Illiad, in any other domain he's an incompetent buffoon and a total chancer, I truly despise this man.

Johnson's not stupid. He's a wolf in sheep's clothing. A nasty Tory hiding behind buffoonery. He knows full well what the figures are. He also knows it doesn't matter. The perception is what matters for his ends, which is his spot in the line for leader. The headline and the article are just tools, the actual veracity of the contents is neither here nor there for him.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, peterms said:

They did it in the early 1990s over Europe, and will again.

You are correct but I want a lot more,  I want absolute total chaos where the actual party splits in two never to govern again with hopefully some of them ending up in prison.  May resigns,  find a leader in a wasteland, find one,  have to get rid 2 days later becasue of X & Y and so on.

I suppose Brexit will deliver hopefully. 

But what do I know,  with 350 M a week extra I would expect to see a receipt / order book  type thing per week on exactly what it will be spent on,  few ideas (Radical) : Really,  really try to stop burning poor people in tower blocks or similar and pay people a wage they can actually live on (Nurses etc) ?  Thinking about it, it might be a bit to radical for them actually.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I want a lot more,  I want absolute total chaos where the actual party splits in two never to govern again with hopefully some of them ending up in prison.

You may ask too much.  :)

But the 1990s split left them out of power for almost a generation, with some of them in prison.

Perhaps we can hope for similar, though with the alternative government not being "I'm Tory Plan B".

• Like 2

Boris knows full well what he was doing in his article on the '£350m'. That he was able to allude to the claim made during the referendum campaign whilst not precisely repeating it has allowed him to get in to a back and forth with the statistics agency guy over what he precisely said. That it has taken a longish letter in response to go in to detail about 'taking back control' ought to reinforce the point that the way in which Boris used the statistic (which Faisal Islam's tweet claims isn't even the correct gross figure now or for the near future, I think) was intended to mislead.

Keeping the reference in the mind of the public allows for the time in the future, when NHS spending will have increased by more than this £350m, for the likes of him and others to make a spurious argument that control has indeed been taken back over this amount of money, and it is being spent on the NHS.

Edited by snowychap
A comma or two to break up that long last sentence.
  • Like 1

Â