The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

It seems to be the opinion of the Tory members, too. They  picked "none of the above" when asked. I think the next highest was David Davies with 19%

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2017/08/our-survey-next-tory-leader-none-of-the-above-leads-the-field-many-party-members-want-to-skip-a-generation.html

that's a wee bit rascal'ish with the truth isn't it  ? ... it lists other and then asks you to name them  .. Jacob Rees-Mogg was written in under the “Other” category as the choice of 142 respondents.  If he had been in the survey, he would have come second

the survey also states they only named 11 candidates  , but could have had a lot more

All these have been named since the election in one media outlet or another, but we have taken pity on our respondents and kept the number of contenders reasonably short.  We have also retained last month’s real winner: a write-in category for Others.

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

that's a wee bit rascal'ish with the truth isn't it  ? ... it lists other and then asks you to name them  .. Jacob Rees-Mogg was written in under the “Other” category as the choice of 142 respondents.  If he had been in the survey, he would have come second

the survey also states they only named 11 candidates  , but could have had a lot more

Rascalish ? The Tory internet site? With their reputation?

whether it is or not, there's clearly no obvious clear choice for them to get in favour of. The current cabinet don't seem to be held in much esteem in terms of leadership by the members, that much is clear. It's probably because they're a bunch of words removed, would be my guess.

• Like 1

On 13/08/2017 at 10:11, chrisp65 said:

R4 Today programme suggesting Jacob Rees Mogg using the parliamentary recess to consult chums on a leadership challenge.

On 13/08/2017 at 14:36, snowychap said:

Nanny said definitely not but teddy's all for it!

**** you 'The Mash Report'...

Edited by snowychap
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, snowychap said:

**** you 'The Mash Report'...

ha ha!

I've switched the TV on for the first time in about weeks and I saw that.

TV's going back off if I can't find an episode of American Dad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can anyone remember the name of the Prime Minister?

Pretty sure it's a woman and was going to deal with Brexit night and day with all her energy. I'm sure she was around in May or early June, there was an election, she was still around after that I'm sure of it. I'm fairly sure she popped up a week or two ago as a quote in an article about bongs. Wanted to spend more money on a better bong? Was that her?

Tabitha Bot? Tamara Kray?

Anyway, no matter, not like there's anything much on the agenda over the next 18 months.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Chindie said:

May will have been delighted to discover that the figures for non-EU students over staying is actually tiny, despite her apparent desire for it to be otherwise.

Have we got to the bottom of just what it is about non-EU students that she despises so very much?

Because it's pretty clear at this point that this is a May thing, not a Tory thing. 

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Have we got to the bottom of just what it is about non-EU students that she despises so very much?

Because it's pretty clear at this point that this is a May thing, not a Tory thing. 

I thought non-eu students essentially kept our universities afloat by paying extravagant fees? I guess she's afraid of hearing a foreign language in Berkshire.

18 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

I thought non-eu students essentially kept our universities afloat by paying extravagant fees? I guess she's afraid of hearing a foreign language in Berkshire.

You're correct, they do. So it really does cause a furrow of the brow when considering why would want to crash one of our most successful industries and best sources of soft power, right at the time we need it most. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

You're correct, they do. So it really does cause a furrow of the brow when considering why would want to crash one of our most successful industries and best sources of soft power, right at the time we need it most. 

Because they are morons is the only logical conclusion I've managed to come to

37 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

From an economical stand point I can say that Hampshire University would be absolutely in the gutter if we didn't have the £10-20k a year that we get from our non-eu students.

1 minute ago, magnkarl said:

From an economical stand point I can say that Hampshire University would be absolutely in the gutter if we didn't have the £10-20k a year that we get from our non-eu students.

I think a real university would suffer, even more, you know, one that actually exists

• Haha 1

Just now, bickster said:

I think a real university would suffer, even more, you know, one that actually exists

Ha. It's what the workers at Winchester uni calls the uni here (screw Southampton and Portsmouth!), Winchester is the capital of Hampshire after all. :) 

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Because they are morons is the only logical conclusion I've managed to come to

It would seem logical, for sure, but then you have the Osbornes and Johnsons and Hammonds and Soubrys and whoever else all saying it's a terrible idea. Most of those people are of little greater mental acuity than May, so how have they all come to the right conclusion and she hasn't?

Edited by HanoiVillan

14 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It would seem logical, for sure, but then you have the Osbornes and Johnsons and Hammonds and Soubrys and whoever else all saying it's a terrible idea. Most of those people are of little greater mental acuity than May, so how have they all come to the right conclusion and she hasn't?

She's Chinese. It's about losing face

Â