The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

6 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

How annoyed do we think Johnson is on missing out on being PM when the Queen died? He’d have loved being an important part of all the pomp and circumstance that’s going to follow. Trying to look all statesmanlike at an historic moment. The parallels with Churchill being the first PM serving during her reign that would undoubtedly have been made, probably by him…

Just imagining him seething about it, it’s hard not to smile.

Very. Huw Edwards read out his verbose blather, that he clearly had up his sleeve for the occasion. 

• Like 2

Just now, Chindie said:

We all knew Truss was an appalling orator, but her statement on the Queen last night was like listening to a children's play performed by particularly untalented kids.

I was surprised how well she did in PMQs the day before as I expected so little. Think the nerves got to her yesterday

Just now, Davkaus said:

I was surprised how well she did in PMQs the day before as I expected so little. Think the nerves got to her yesterday

JUST SAY THE WORDS, SLOWLY, CAREFULLY, AND CLEARLY, UNTIL THE WORDS... STOP.

Awful. Stephen Hawking had more emotion and passion in his delivery.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

JUST SAY THE WORDS, SLOWLY, CAREFULLY, AND CLEARLY, UNTIL THE WORDS... STOP.

Awful. Stephen Hawking had more emotion and passion in his delivery.

I was watching with fascination wondering if she'd do that weird long pause until the awkwardness compelled people to clap.

34 minutes ago, Chindie said:

We all knew Truss was an appalling orator, but her statement on the Queen last night was like listening to a children's play performed by particularly untalented kids.

I've often wondered how she would cope orally. 

• Haha 2

That Truss bounce people were predicting, well there were some council by-elections on Thursday

And yes, Foggy Furse is the name of a ward in Hartlepool

Those are seats in some significant areas with signs of tactical voting in the Lancaster one

• Like 3

5 hours ago, bickster said:

That Truss bounce people were predicting, well there were some council by-elections on Thursday

And yes, Foggy Furse is the name of a ward in Hartlepool

Those are seats in some significant areas with signs of tactical voting in the Lancaster one

If she doesn't see a big polling bump from her solemn royal speeches, feeling of national togetherness (mileage may vary) and her energy handout u-turn, she may as well hand over to Johnson or Badenoch before Christmas. 

Edit- although (and I've mentioned this before) the Times Radio focus group episodes that Matt Chorley does every couple of weeks are always really good for this stuff.

They did one post-new PM and pre-new King, and pretty much the whole group was:

Voted Tory 2019. Wouldnt vote Johnson over Starmer. Hadn't heard of Truss before Monday. Would vote Truss over Starmer. 

Edited by ml1dch

4 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

If she doesn't see a big polling bump from her solemn royal speeches, feeling of national togetherness (mileage may vary) and her energy handout u-turn, she may as well hand over to Johnson or Badenoch before Christmas. 

My worry is they know they are dead in the GE so will run the country into the ground making 1 final splurge of tax payers billions into donors banks to make the job of the next government as good as impossible.

Â