The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

17 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

She’s taking pelters for this, but there really is no dignified way of curtseying. The whole point is it’s meant to show what a subservient pleb you are. Stupid tradition. Let the women do a little head bow like the men.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Edit- although (and I've mentioned this before) the Times Radio focus group episodes that Matt Chorley does every couple of weeks are always really good for this stuff.

They did one post-new PM and pre-new King, and pretty much the whole group was:

Voted Tory 2019. Wouldnt vote Johnson over Starmer. Hadn't heard of Truss before Monday. Would vote Truss over Starmer. 

Bleak.

Edited by Rolta

4 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Oh, absolutely. I'm not here to provide good news. 

I think that was nationally banned as a concept sometime around 1997.

To cheer you up, I think those James Johnson focus groups for Times Red Box are basically bull shit. They’re engineered for entertainment, and don’t tell you much about what is actually going on, nor what will happen.

”People who voted Tory in 2019” is a very wide section of the population, and it all depends who you speak to, and how you frame the conversation. 8 random Tory voters aren’t statistically representative of anything, and of course a lot of previous Tory voters are going to vote Tory again regardless of who the leader is.

What matters is the swing voters in marginal seats. And bear in mind, that the Lib Dems (and Labour tactical voters backing Lib Dems) will be doing a lot of the heavy lifting in middle England. I think Starmer’s in a very strong position.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

What matters more is the turnout and the abstainers. 

Yes although turnout has a very strong, and relatively predictable pattern. People who have routinely voted in previous elections will most likely vote again, people who see voting as a duty, people who are politically engaged - there’s loads of academic research on this in the UK, and it’s pretty solid.

You’d expect turnout to be somewhere in that 65-75% range. I’d guess it’ll be at the upper end this time because more seats than usual will be perceived as winnable/loseable, and there are lots of different powerful motivations next time (possibility of new party of govt, Lib Dems detoxified, Greens more popular, energy / inflation crisis, etc).

But I think the general rule in an FPTP election that whoever makes the strongest pitch to swing voters in marginals still stands.

In the US, there’s been a lot of talk in recent years about turnout/abstention being more important, but they have lower average turnouts to begin with, massive voter suppression programmes by the Republicans, mass party registration and direct targeting of voters which isn’t possible here, and all kinds of electoral corruption, gerrymandering and pork barrel politics that doesn’t really occur here (at least, nowhere near the same scale).

• Like 1

It’ll be interesting to see what happens in Tamworth. Always a tory safe seat, but with Pincher still hanging around as an independent now.

Nobody is gonna vote for him again. Will they vote for a random they stick in a blue tie? Or will it switch to Labour? 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

It’ll be interesting to see what happens in Tamworth. Always a tory safe seat, but with Pincher still hanging around as an independent now.

Nobody is gonna vote for him again. Will they vote for a random they stick in a blue tie? Or will it switch to Labour? 

Wanna bet? 

There's always a section of idiots/nutters. 

Kwarteng is a dangerous man. He's directly responsible for 80% cap on our energy prices and is currently working on a raft of banking deregulation to make us more 'competitive' with Asian markets - the first of which will be to lift the cap on bankers bonuses that links them to their salaries - just what the country needs right now, more money for bankers and the encouragement for them to gamble.

Looks look the govt also intends to rollback some of the legislation on selling sweets at tills an food labelling,

Corporatocracy.

• Like 4

Â