The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

If that comes to pass then I think Johnson is done. I am not sure how good a thing that is though as the longer he stays and the more he damages the Tories the more seats they'll lose come the next election. Having said that any of the likely candidates to replace him are also tarnished by association. 

I also think about that but I'm at a point where it's better if he goes soon. There has to be consequences. Yes he might make the tories lose, but what long term damage does it do to our democracy for him to get through all of this with no punishment. 

Whats stopping someone else down the line being much worse? 

7 hours ago, DCJonah said:

She's just the worst. 

Well, er, yes. Booing a sitting PM is definitely more headline worthy than cheering a PM. Thanks for stating the obvious you **** bat.

7 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Yup. It's all "me, me, me". Nothing about the wellbeing of the nation, or even honesty and integrity. It's all just about keeping their own jobs. Absolute Representatives for Wellingborough who care about nobody but themselves. But that's basically the official Conservative slogan.

Yep. I hope people don't forget this even if Boris is gone. They only reacted when it was in their best interest. There's no integrity in this party at all. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

The narrowest of Johnson victories please.

i agree. keep him there to avoid the new manager bounce but enough lack of confidence to keep the shambles rolling along until the next election

It sounds like he will win the vote and there's no way he'll resign. Expect a hammering in these upcoming by-elections and a lot of tory mps feeling worried about their future.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Oh, so it turns out that they are capable of coherent analysis when it turns out that it's their careers on the line rather than the future of the country 

My thoughts exactly. Not an attack of the morals but concern that they could lose their job in the next election with bunter in charge.

However like most things the Tories do, this has been bungled with seemingly no real coordination. They should have waited until the 2 by elections in June as they are currently expected to lose Wakefield.  Big dog will survive this as about 70-80 will only vote against him and they will be stuck with him for another year unless he resigns himself. Which I doubt he would do as he has lied to the house and shown no remorse on this.

9 minutes ago, djdabush said:

It sounds like he will win the vote and there's no way he'll resign. Expect a hammering in these upcoming by-elections and a lot of tory mps feeling worried about their future.

Not so sure.

The speed of the vote is very un Boris - he likes to drag things out and muddy the waters. 

There's another enquiry in the pipeline for Boris - more damaging headlines. 

Makes me think the game is up and the Tories want him gone........quickly.

8 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I’ve seen and heard it said that May won 63% and was gone six months later.

How much would Johnson have to win in order for this to be considered a “good” result for him? 80%? 

I'm not sure that it was the VONC that did for her. May had the disadvantage of running what was pretty much a minority government while trying to please all sides of the party, which was an impossibility. When she started losing vote after vote in the commons that was the end.

If Johnson wins the vote I can definitely see the MP's falling back into line. He'll be safe for 12 months and when that is up we're fully into election territory so to do anything else would be akin to shooting yourself in the foot, then the face to make sure.

Annonymous vote though isn't it - any Tory MP looking to the by elections will know how bad that will be, and how at that point they'll be smashed but stuck with the man who caused the defeat, I think they'll topple him. 

16 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

and they will be stuck with him for another year unless he resigns himself.

While I think you're right, there's the nuclear option if he wins and they think he's causing serious damage to the nation.

They can't use their internal VONC, but they could issue one in the commons, and with the support of the opposition it'd take 30 odd tories to win a motion of no confidence in the PM.

8 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Big dog will survive this as about 70-80 will only vote against him and they will be stuck with him for another year unless he resigns himself. 

Reckon it'll be more than that. I reckon 115 to vote for him to leave. 

@bickster, sweepstake?

Â