The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

There's at least one generation of teachers who've never learned it, let alone taught it.

There aren't any, none, not one

My missus is 60 next month and she's in the last year of when it got taught in infant schools. Any teachers who learned it have retired by now

• Like 1

17 hours ago, juanpabloangel18 said:

It's a dead cat which neatly doubles up as a fake Brexit benefit, in case that needed to be pointed out

• We drink pints
  • Our speed limits are set to miles per hour
  • We report our weight in stones and pounds, height in feet, lengths of other things in inches

Merits of imperial vs. metric to one side, what is this actually going to impact

Depends how far they take it. Are construction projects for example going to have to fall in line with the change? That would be a fairly massive change considering most construction materials come from countries which use the metric system. How do you order concrete from now on? Do you have to order it in cubic ft now as opposed to cubic metres? Are construction tolerances now going to be changed to 1/8 or 1/4 of an inch as opposed to being measured in millimetres like in most other countries? Also, all surveying equipement is calibrated metrically so is that all going to have to be adapted to suit the imperial measurement system?

Apologies that this story is 15 months out of date but it may amuse some long standing members

Top East Staffordshire Tory councillors kicked out of party after 'bullying and harassment' allegation

Two senior councillors have been expelled from the Tory party after allegations of 'bullying and harassment', it has been revealed.

Former East Staffordshire Borough Council leader Richard Grosvenor and leading Uttoxeter county councillor David Brookes have been stripped of their membership from the East Staffordshire Conservative Association and the Conservative Party, following allegations they had been spreading false information and misleading the public, as well as claims of bullying and harassment.

Local Reach Rag

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Depends how far they take it. Are construction projects for example going to have to fall in line with the change? That would be a fairly massive change considering most construction materials come from countries which use the metric system. How do you order concrete from now on? Do you have to order it in cubic ft now as opposed to cubic metres? Are construction tolerances now going to be changed to 1/8 or 1/4 of an inch as opposed to being measured in millimetres like in most other countries? Also, all surveying equipement is calibrated metrically so is that all going to have to be adapted to suit the imperial measurement system?

They aren't going to stop you using metric, in fact if they force a VONC next week I doubt they'll ever do anything about this

• Like 1

Imperial measurements are defined by standard metric measurements, meaning the continued use of them is just a bizarre affectation and delight in making things more awkward.

I'm reminded of a footnote in the (brilliant) book, Good Omens, where the UK's pre-decimal currency is described...

NOTE FOR YOUNG PEOPLE AND AMERICANS: One shilling = Five Pee. It helps to understand the antique finances of the Witchfinder Army if you know the original British monetary system:

Two farthings = One Ha'penny. Two ha'pennies = One Penny. Three pennies = A Thrupenny Bit. Two Thrupences = A Sixpence. Two Sixpences = One Shilling, or Bob. Two Bob = A Florin. One Florin and One Sixpence = Half a Crown. Four Half Crowns = Ten Bob Note. Two Ten Bob Notes = One Pound (or 240 pennies). Once Pound and One Shilling = One Guinea.

The British resisted decimalized currency for a long time because they thought it was too complicated.

Good Omens quote on Good Reads

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Andrea Loathsome is doing that Tory thing of criticising Johnson but not actually saying she'll do anything about it.

To her constituents she says she doesn't agree with Johnson, to her party machine she's saying carry on

Just another duplicitous and typical Tory

Happens all the time, lots of criticism, not enough letters

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Imperial measurements are defined by standard metric measurements, meaning the continued use of them is just a bizarre affectation and delight in making things more awkward.

I'm reminded of a footnote in the (brilliant) book, Good Omens, where the UK's pre-decimal currency is described...

Good Omens quote on Good Reads

I'm not going to agree with the whole move to imperial measurements nonsense that the Troies are talking about because it's stupid and I much prefer the consistency and standardisation of metric units (especially for temperature, I mean come on) BUT...

Imperial units in certain areas were actually kind of useful, especially in the pre-calculator age. A lot of units were based on base 12 or other powers-of-two numeric bases, and this made quick calculations very easy. 12 has a lot of factors - 2,3,4,6 - and it's easy to divide and multiply. Base 10 is actually really cumbersome and hard for the human brain to work with quickly for anything other than very basic maths.

The biggest issue with Imperial units is the stupid array of inconsistency and variation and poorly chosen scales (Fahrenheit I'm looking at you).

But, in this day and age, decimal makes much more sense and everyone knows it (apart from road distances which I still hate in km for no good reason).

Edited by Lichfield Dean
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Oh, the germans taking the p***. That won't go down well with the little Englanders.

Little Englanders wouldn't recognise the sarcasm in the tweet in the first place

• Like 3

21 hours ago, juanpabloangel18 said:

• We drink pints
  • Our speed limits are set to miles per hour
  • We report our weight in stones and pounds, height in feet, lengths of other things in inches

Yes to pints, speed limits, and height.

But I think a lot of people (under 40) use kg for their weight and most length of things in cm.

6 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Yes to pints, speed limits, and height.

But I think a lot of people (under 40) use kg for their weight and most length of things in cm.

I definitely do. It means that the number used is larger.

• Haha 1

Â