The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

3 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Of course, the other reason we know flags are sexy, is that the Welsh flag features an animal.

Defo top 3

spacer.png

spacer.png

But there’s real competition out there.

52 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Defo top 3

spacer.png

spacer.png

But there’s real competition out there.

Joking aside, it did strike me as an anomoly that Wales is not included on the Union Jack.

I did wonder whether the introduction of a national flag for Wales in 1959, had anything to do with creating a symbol for the campaign to inspire a sense of Welsh nationalism.

As Eddie Izzard pointed out, the justification for the UK's dominion over the colonies, was that we had a flag and the natives didn't.

This suggests that flags are essential, when attempting to establish a country's sense of nationhood.

2 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Joking aside, it did strike me as an anomoly that Wales is not included on the Union Jack.

Wales wasn't included in the Union flag because it wasn't considered to be a separate country but just a principality of England. By the time Wales got it's own official flag, the Union Flag was already well established

Which well then set off all the vexicologists because they'll say it wasn't included because it didn't fit the theme of the flag (they'd be idiots), then one of them will pipe up that they should use the "other" Welsh flag, the cross of St David to keep in with the theme. I don't see how a yellow cross with a black background would fit the "theme" either. (also the flag of St David didn't come into use until the early 20th century in any case.

The much simpler solution is just to abandon the Union Flag on the grounds that it is jingoistic imperialist horeshit

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I did wonder whether the introduction of a national flag for Wales in 1959, had anything to do with creating a symbol for the campaign to inspire a sense of Welsh nationalism.

As Eddie Izzard pointed out, the justification for the UK's dominion over the colonies, was that we had a flag and the natives didn't.

This suggests that flags are essential, when attempting to establish a country's sense of nationhood.

Ok if we’re going to be a little bit serious, you’re date of 1959 kind of shows you’re coming at it from an english perspective anyway. 1959 was when Westminster decided Wales could have a flag.

Versions of that flag had been flown for hundreds of years, since the Tudors in the 1400’s. Earlier flags included Glyndwr’s  Y Draig Aur, and the Aberffraw flag before that. Then there’s the flag of St David which is popular lately.

We’ve had pretty flags with dragons on for quite a while.

spacer.png

But its nice to have one endorsed by Westminster.

The fact that Westminster allowed the dragon in ‘59 has absolutely nothing to do with the rise of the Republican Tricolour from ‘49 onwards.

spacer.png

I like flags because they are colourful and interesting. But it’s important to keep them in perspective, and not start kissing them or saluting them or worrying someone else has been rude to them. That’s weird and shaggy.

• Like 3

I wonder if Nadine Dorries is even the slightest bit self aware.

Whether she knows she's creating this character of the nasty, bullying moron and she's happy with it because it lets her do shitty things day in and day out.

Or whether she's dumb enough to think she's outsmarting the nation with her unparalleled skills of political persuasion.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I wonder if Nadine Dorries is even the slightest bit self aware.

Whether she knows she's creating this character of the nasty, bullying moron and she's happy with it because it lets her do shitty things day in and day out.

Or whether she's dumb enough to think she's outsmarting the nation with her unparalleled skills of political persuasion.

What’s she done now?

41 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

She's just the worst. 

There really were not. BBC Commentary was even at a bit of a loss to explain it when it happened. It wasn't expected, especially at such an event and it certainly wasn't co-ordinated. It also came from what you would imagine to be a high Tory voting demographic

Then you've got stories of people being asked to pull their letters from the 1922 because no-one has a campaign organised to replace Johnson (as if that is remotely true)

The Tories know they are f***ed when a jubilee crowd boos the Prime Minister

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

she's dumb

This. One of those people who also don’t let facts or information get in the way of their “thinking”. Ambition, ignorance, lack of critical thinking, just lack of awareness plus a closed mind. Dreadful.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

You can’t judge what the country think of Johnson based on a rag tag militia of royalist pensioners.

No, but you can tell what that bunch of royalist pensioners think, and that’s interesting if nothing else.

Edited by alreadyexists

19 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Bit of a swing if it comes to pass.

If that comes to pass then I think Johnson is done. I am not sure how good a thing that is though as the longer he stays and the more he damages the Tories the more seats they'll lose come the next election. Having said that any of the likely candidates to replace him are also tarnished by association. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

If that comes to pass then I think Johnson is done. I am not sure how good a thing that is though as the longer he stays and the more he damages the Tories the more seats they'll lose come the next election. Having said that any of the likely candidates to replace him are also tarnished by association. 

They will get the same trick they always try. New leader followed by “but we aren’t as bad as the previous lot!”

Â