The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

There are 122 MP's on the pay role (ministers) and there is little chance any of those will vote against him. That means 180 of the remaining 237 Tory MP's need to vote against him. There is no chance of that happening. 

I'd imagine no more than 90 will vote against him and the shit show/rot can set in for a bit longer further damaging their chances of winning the next election. 

14 minutes ago, juanpabloangel18 said:

It's been pointed out that this is a really good letter. 

And I would agree, if the guy hadn't just voted through the Public Order Bill, wasn't a hard Brexiteer, and hadn't professed to support Johnson for 15 years

**** these self-serving words removed, the lot of them

Publicly backed him as recently as a month ago

Edited by Davkaus

3 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

There are 122 MP's on the pay role (ministers) and there is little chance any of those will vote against him. That means 180 of the remaining 237 Tory MP's need to vote against him. There is no chance of that happening. 

I'd imagine no more than 90 will vote against him and the shit show/rot can set in for a bit longer further damaging their chances of winning the next election. 

Thatcher and May both won their votes. A sizeable vote against any PM holes them beneath the water, it comprises their authority and simply portrays the division in a Party. He’s toast I think.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

Jeremy Hunt will be getting ready for his leadership pitch no doubt.

More chance of his brother Isaac getting elected leader......Teflon BoJo will weather this storm.....unfortunately.

14 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

This is a good (sweary) thread on the contenders. Eesh.

Edited by StanBalaban
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I’m wary that the clusterf@&k that is Liz Truss has been very very quiet in recent months and left the attack dog Dorries to protect Boris.

Reminds me of Theresa May’s play for the leadership during the Brexit debate - once it was clear there may be a change of leader, she crept backwards and became less vocal/non-commital about her thoughts until Cameron lost the vote. The knives were then out and she made her intention clear. 

I can see Truss thinking she can do the same but with a more embarrassing outcome

7 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Thatcher and May both won their votes. A sizeable vote against any PM holes them beneath the water, it comprises their authority and simply portrays the division in a Party. He’s toast I think.

Thatcher was under a different system. This was a leadership challenge rather than a vote of confidence. It happened twice. In 1989 she defeated a 'stalking horse' backbencher Sir Anthony Meyer by 314 vote to 33, but still showed that her authority was waning. The next year she actually won the first round by getting 254 votes to Helestine's 152 but was 4 votes short of the required 15% margin. And then came the infamous men in grey suits who told her that the game was up. So basically the first leadership challenge in whatever system they have usually wounds the leader only for them to stagger on for about 6 months to a year.

14 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Theresa May managed to get Leadsom to step down from her leadership bid after some innocuous off camera comment about motherhood… that won’t be happening this time, let’s face it, no one will resign over having illegal gatherings let alone a throw away comments! 

How our ‘noble’ politicians have gone off the cliff with their morals and code of conduct. 

Edited by theboyangel
Poor grammar

I'm actually surprised it has come to this given the Tory party has stuck with him so long despite his obvious flaws. I guess it's finally dawned on them that the polls aren't going to improve unless they change leader. I'm not sure what outcome I want really. Probably for Boris to continue limping along, mortally wounded and bleeding support.

This country has been in complete political paralysis since the day after the Brexit referendum though and another 3+ years of a government incapable of governing isn't going to be good either. It's already been six years. Hopefully they'll call a new election sooner rather than later.

Surely a vote of confidence in the PM just makes it more likely that the 2 by-elections are heavier defeats for the Tories? I don't see how he gets out of this situation one way or another. 

Â