The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

38 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Cause you have all the facts I'm sure! 

You have avoided talking about a huge percentage of asylum seekers who have no interest in going through the system and just disappear into the country somewhere, these are mostly the ones who live off crime, they come here for it. It's known around most of eastern Europe the UK are known to be easy pickings, due to our lifestyle and laws, you need to know some and speak to them to get facts.

In the end its a complex topic, I'm sure we share that fact. There are no real factual answers what they are 'all' coming here for. But if you think it's all to make a new life for there families, learn the language, get a 9-5  and intergrate into UK communities, you are far more naive than your posts suggest.

I've not claimed to have all of the answers. A brief recap. You moaned that they don't integrate, I highlighted the problem with us putting up barriers to that integration, and you go on to change the subject and make more spurious claims based upon facts you've admitted that you don't have.

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I've not claimed to have all of the answers. A brief recap. You moaned that they don't integrate, I highlighted the problem with us putting up barriers to that integration, and you go on to change the subject and make more spurious claims based upon facts you've admitted that you don't have.

It's not the barriers that stop integration. Many different communities have lived  here for decades and still don't intergrate.

6 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

I’d actually be quite happy if we passed a law that meant you couldn’t claim asylum if you’d crossed the channel in an undeclared fashion but I’d also like to see a law passed to go with this requiring the government to set up centres abroad where these people can actually declare their need to claim asylum status. The two go hand in hand, unless the intention is to just **** these people over because you don’t want to take any of them…which I suspect is the position of a few.

I might be wrong (perhaps someone would be more knowledgeable than me on it?) but I don’t think the European Court of Human Rights would permit the UK to enact such a law.

Off shore processing (in countries like Naru) was also a part of the Australian approach.

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I don’t think the European Court of Human Rights would permit the UK to enact such a law.

Which is why many Tories want out of it. What right have these bloody 'Europeans' to tell us what to do in our own glorious country. Who won The War, anyway? 

30 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

It's not the barriers that stop integration. Many different communities have lived  here for decades and still don't intergrate.

How integrated do you feel with the Eton words removed that are robbing your children blind?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Straggler said:

You put them in the same category as people who have no interest in going through the system and disappear into the country to live off crime. The people who want to avoid the system and live off crime are illegal immigrants. By your own definition an asylum seeker is awaiting a decision and are therefore inside the system. They cannot be both inside the system and avoiding it. That you are conflating the two suggests you are either unable to tell the difference or are deliberately using inflammatory and inaccurate language to strengthen your argument. 

Unfortunately genuine refugees and genuine crooks and economic migrants are all arriving via exactly the same route. It’s sorting out the people deserving and needing safe asylum from the Albanian and other mainly Eastern Europe crooks which needs to be done efficiently and effectively, and it isn’t being done that way. It seems incredible, but 2% of the Albanian male population under 40 is believed to have come to the uk. It’s a poor nation, but they are not refugees, they’re at best economic migrants and at worst criminal gangsters, stealing cars, dealing drugs, running prostitution and so on. The ne’erdowells are hoping to pass themselves off as refugees, or to at least once they’re on British soil, to do a runner before they are returned. Illegal immigration is harmful, and while it’s never going to be stopped and is only a small percentage 4 or 5% of genuine refugee numbers, it’s still a significant number, given the 10s of thousands of people arriving here via the channel crossings.

I think the government quite intentionally conflates the two groups and it’s hard to blame people who don’t follow things closely for believing what the government implies.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I might be wrong (perhaps someone would be more knowledgeable than me on it?) but I don’t think the European Court of Human Rights would permit the UK to enact such a law.

Off shore processing (in countries like Naru) was also a part of the Australian approach.

One of the (many) misinterpreted European Laws Rules. Whilst we have to consider the impact of the HRA (and convention of Human Rights), UK Judges only have to take the Courts decisions into account;  they don’t have to follow it.

UK Supreme Court & Europe

The Human Rights Act also requires UK courts, including the Supreme Court, to "take account" of decisions of the European Court of Human Rights (which sits in Strasbourg). UK courts are not required, however, always to follow the decisions of that Court. Indeed, they can decline to do so, particularly if they consider that the Strasbourg Court has not sufficiently appreciated or accommodated particular aspects of our domestic constitutional position.

There is almost certainly a pragmatic, cost effective way to deal with the immigration situation in a humane way, it just doesn’t suite the Tories to solve the problem. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, limpid said:

What have they done that is "illegal"? Specifically, which law have they broken?

Section 40 of the 2022 Nationality and Borders act, which amends section 24 of the Immigration Act 1971 to create two new offences:

Where a person who requires entry clearance under the immigration rules (almost certainly any small boat arrival) knowingly arrives in the UK without valid entry clearance (section 24(D1), commenced 28 June 2022).

Where a person is required under the immigration rules not to travel to the UK without an ETA knowingly arrives in the UK without such an ETA (section 24(E1), not yet commenced).

https://freemovement.org.uk/are-people-crossing-the-channel-in-small-boats-doing-anything-illegal/

• Like 3

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

The whole concept of “integration” is based on the idea that there’s a static, authentic British culture, but there isn’t. Even within the white British community, the culture changes constantly.

I’d love someone to explain what British culture is. What they usually mean is their own personal culture within their immediate social circle.

I imagine my “indigenous” white British family wouldn’t have much in common with you culturally, but we’ve been here just as long as your family. People are quirky and have their own ways.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Unfortunately genuine refugees and genuine crooks and economic migrants are all arriving via exactly the same route. It’s sorting out the people deserving and needing safe asylum from the Albanian and other mainly Eastern Europe crooks which needs to be done efficiently and effectively, and it isn’t being done that way. It seems incredible, but 2% of the Albanian male population under 40 is believed to have come to the uk. It’s a poor nation, but they are not refugees, they’re at best economic migrants and at worst criminal gangsters, stealing cars, dealing drugs, running prostitution and so on. The ne’erdowells are hoping to pass themselves off as refugees, or to at least once they’re on British soil, to do a runner before they are returned. Illegal immigration is harmful, and while it’s never going to be stopped and is only a small percentage 4 or 5% of genuine refugee numbers, it’s still a significant number, given the 10s of thousands of people arriving here via the channel crossings.

I think the government quite intentionally conflates the two groups and it’s hard to blame people who don’t follow things closely for believing what the government implies.

Some fair points, and certain politicians definitely conflate the groups, because to them its just all one group who they look at with contempt and disgust. However, i'm not sure i'd absolve people of blame for blindly following them (and their mouthpieces in the mail, express etc) and joining in with their nasty rhetoric; it doesn't take much to do a quick google and do your own reading around the subject.

It can be hard at times not to judge by appearances, but for a persons first thought about anyone who ends up in a dingy to immediately be 'scrounging scum' ; well i struggle to understand that lack of empathy. 

Economic migration is an interesting one; i'm not sure i'd blame anyone for wanting to seek a better life elsewhere (although i'm probably biased as my partner is the granddaughter of an economic migrant). What if you take it right down to within the country; if you move to a different town/city than where you grew up for work, are you not taking a job and a house from a local? Is that more acceptable just because you happen to be born within the same man-made lines on a map of the world? If you are willing to work and contribute positively, then it doesn't really bother me.

Its not an easy issue to solve, but the current lot are making no attempt to do so.

• Like 2

Â