The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Both the referendum vote to leave the European Union and Donald Trump’s successful run for the US presidency have highlighted increasingly negative sentiments towards immigration.

One argument frequently used to explain anti-immigration sentiment is that native-born populations object to immigration because they fear competition in the labour market. If that is the case, immigrants might also oppose further immigration because they are even more likely to compete with more recent immigrants in the labour market than natives. In a recent research paper, we decided to look at the evidence for what immigrants in Britain actually think about immigration.[...]

[...]When we looked at the position of immigrants, we found that overall nearly 50% were opposed to further immigration. But this proportion rises to 53% for immigrants who have lived in the UK for over five years, and falls to 33% for more recent immigrants.[...]

The Conversation. The authors of the academic research wrote the article and there are links to the research in the article

This could have gone in here or the cost of living thread, but In what other job can you blame failure on the bloke/women you took over from 12yrs ago? 

I’ve never been into politics as much as some people but the last 2yrs I’m becoming more and more angry with this government and the people that vote for them. People are on their arses, fuel bills are stupid, inflation is rocketing and all I hear from prat’s that support them is that they got Brexit over the line and had a tough time will Covid. 

Do these people not realise that Brexit and the decisions made on Covid are the very things that have put us in the shit? 

The only reason these idiots are in power is because they convinced stupid labour voters that brown people are the problem. And not only is that utterly sickening, even if there was one iota of truth in the fact that our problems are down to immigration, which there isn’t. They have even failed on that front. 

It’s infuriating that so many still believe in them. 

Edited by av1

Carl Chinn was on ITV News just talking about accent discrimination.  Obviously whatever study it was ranked the Brummie accent as the least respected.

He then started to go on about the political class that all emerge from a select few schools and then said "look at the state the country is in" because of them.

He was cut off by the presenter (out of time apparently) within 1 second of the comment.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Every single aspect of living in this country has got worse over the last 12 years.

I usually hold back from such sweeping statements but if you vote Tory at the next GE you're a word removed.

The trouble is mate they have played the racist card beautifully. The prat I sit next to in the office loves Boris. When I ask why he says that he sorted Brexit. When I ask why that is a good thing, all he has is immigration. When I talk about the numbers, I get ‘I know nothing about politics, but why do these people get council houses’

The bloke is an idiot, but the Torries have drip fed this into the nation for a decade or more now. 

43 minutes ago, av1 said:

This could have gone in here or the cost of living thread, but In what other job can you blame failure on the bloke/women you took over from 12yrs ago? 

I’ve never been into politics as much as some people but the last 2yrs I’m becoming more and more angry with this government and the people that vote for them. People are on their arses, fuel bills are stupid, inflation is rocketing and all I hear from prat’s that support them is that they got Brexit over the line and had a tough time will Covid. 

Do these people not realise that Brexit and the decisions made on Covid are the very things that have put us in the shit? 

The only reason these idiots are in power is because they convinced stupid labour voters that brown people are the problem. And not only is that utterly sickening, even if there was one iota of truth in the fact that our problems are down to immigration, which there isn’t. They have even failed on that front. 

It’s infuriating that so many still believe in them. 

The 'system' is set up to benefit the Tories.

Our media is run by people that either have an interest in what the Tories are selling, are their mates, or went to the same school and have the same acquaintances. They run the narratives that become the truth. The BBC used to be reasonably sheltered from that, in that it basically supported the mainstream line and didn't get into areas of bias all that much, but now it's been kneecapped with Tories running it. Any outlets that do become more critical to the Tory line get cut off.

Meanwhile the Tories have used this freedom from critique to break the old fashioned notions of public service by doing things like plainly lying. The old joke about politicians lying and their lips moving isn't quite true - they'd dodge and redirect questions or be vague, they wouldn't just lie, because lying was bad and would bite you very hard when it came out. Now, nobody does anything about it. Johnson and his ilk just spout pure lies with abandon, they've even managed to get Parliament to become lax on it.

And obviously all this has emboldened them, into screwing the system for their own gain (an investigation into COVID and Brexit spending by the government should lead to a number of people going to prison for a very long time), acting immorally and **** over the country with no recourse. The current Prime Minister is on record having done the rounds promising to get more money given to the leafy suburbs of the home counties by redirecting it to them when nearly every city north or west of Watford is getting hammered on every front with budget cuts and services going down the shitter.

And then the words removed have the temerity to hire a buffoon to run the country who managed to nearly crash the economy in less than a months work.

We genuinely should be getting the pitchforks out. It's a **** disgrace.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Every single aspect of living in this country has got worse over the last 12 years.

I usually hold back from such sweeping statements but if you vote Tory at the next GE you're a word removed.

Or just my dad.

I’ve given up even trying to argue with him any more, he’s getting more racist the older he gets and in parallel has become more entrenched as a Tory supporter.

His view (on politicians) - they’re all the same (when confronted on specific various issues).

You cannot win with these people and there’s plenty of them about unfortunately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, one_ian_taylor said:

I don't  know Bev. Who is shutting everyone down?

Bev has a Twitter tick, she's verified. A verified absolute nobody. Claims to be a writer and broadcaster, reading between the lines on her website, her broadcasting experience is phoning up talk radio stations and the writing?... well that appears to be a blog on substack.

To think that the WHO actually has control of the parliamentary standards ctte, the make-up of which is 4 Tories, 2 Labour (one of whom is Chris Bryant - The Chair) and 1 SNP plus 7 independent lay members is just mentalist thoughts

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Well if you are retired home owner with no mortgage in theory you are probably better off due to the house price rises. Who often tend  to vote Tory. Other than hedge fund managers struggling to think of many people in the plus column.

2 hours ago, Risso said:

I've met Andrew Bridgen and he's as thick as a submarine door. I've also met Mere Plantations, the firm he was shilling for, and to call it a giant scam would be generous. They basically sell teak tree saplings in Ghana, and promise colossal returns in 10 years time when  the trees are harvested. For a £50K investment they promise returns of £400K and above. No audited accounts or anything obviously, and Bridgen's recommendation is used as a selling tool. Not for me, sorry.

I’ll be stealing “thick as a submarine door” on a regular basis. Thank you

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Well if you are retired home owner with no mortgage in theory you are probably better off due to the house price rises.

I am. 

21 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Who often tend  to vote Tory

I don't. 

• Like 1

Â