The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Just now, foreveryoung said:

Posts like this remind me why I don't get involved in these threads.

Think i'll agree to disagree that 10k asylum seekers coming over the channel every month in dingys is a good thing, an they are only here to find work and intergrate into our communites. I'll leave it there, people can carry on living in there idealistic worlds as long as they want.

You said they were "illegal". If you can't back that up and won't withdraw it, I'll assume that you were posting for effect.

3 minutes ago, limpid said:

You said they were "illegal". If you can't back that up and won't withdraw it, I'll assume that you were posting for effect.

Like I said, I'm not going to find the page in the law book. But is crossing the channel without authorisation not illegal, what about funding criminal gangs to make the crossing, or not even going through the system, are you yourself not an illegal then?

Just now, foreveryoung said:

Like I said, I'm not going to find the page in the law book. But is crossing the channel without authorisation not illegal, what about funding criminal gangs to make the crossing, or not even going through the system, are you yourself not an illegal then?

A person cannot be "illegal". People have the right to seek asylum in the UK. Otherwise we would be prosecuting them, whether their claim was successful or not.

How many have been prosecuted for these things that you claim they are guilty of? Has there been a single one to justify collectively describing them as "illegal"?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

That's one of the issues, there is no system for most people. I believe there are some safe routes (e.g for Afghans, Ukrainians), but for others the only way they can claim asylum is at the UK border, hence having to make their own way.

Add in completely inadequate processing when applications are made due to lack of funding etc and the end result is what we are seeing now.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Like I said, I'm not going to find the page in the law book. But is crossing the channel without authorisation not illegal (1), what about funding criminal gangs to make the crossing (2), or not even going through the system (3), are you yourself not an illegal then?

(1) You've said you're not going to tell us the law that you are quoting, and I'm not going to look either but my guess is "no". It's possible that are supposed to notify the relevant authorities if you want to swim it, for safety reasons. But I'd be surprised if there is a law against it. Any anyway, anyone embarking on such a journey would need to look at the appropriate French law, if one exists given that leaving the coast of France is where such an offence would be taking place. But I'd be surprised if they've bothered to legislate on it.

(2) These are just bad words you've put together, not a law. There must be laws that these "criminal gangs" are breaking, otherwise they'd just be "gangs". If you give these gangs money to (eg) buy drugs then you are committing an offence, but if you are giving them money for them to help you do something that isn't illegal, then you are not committing an offence. And in addition, (1) applies, in that if this illegality is happening in France, then it's their law that matters. Giving undisclosed people money in Marseille for non-specific services which meant that you ended up on a beach on Kent isn't something that has made it into UK law just yet.  

(3) Which system? The Government could arrange easier, less dramatic ways for these claims to be made, they choose not to. A processing centre in Calais would seem to be the obvious one, and one that the French have said many times that they are comfortable with. Until there are ways that these claims can be made without resorting to dangerous Channel crossings, people will make the crossings and claim that way. 

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I’d rather it was that way round. 
Shouldn’t you be running away crying that nobody agrees with your c*ntish opinion?

Hit a nerve did i? As if I'm gonna run away crying cause some random on a forum comments like he's bored of being on twitter. People are going to have different opinions, try deal with it, though I keep forgetting it's not allowed is it, I have to agree with the crowd, or risk having random comments like the one above, which has nothing to do with the topic ofcourse.

7 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

You’ve already halved your expertly researched estimate by 50% in a single hour. So which is it, 20k, 10k, insert any other randomly made up number followed by drivel? 

I'm impressed, well spotted.

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

It's no good giving them jobs if we can't house them.

According to the most recent government council taxbase figures released in November 2021, there are 238,306 homes in England that are classed as long-term empty homes. This means that they have been left vacant for more than six months.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Designer1 said:

The mask slips again.

It would just be a hell of a lot easier if people were honest that they don’t want to accept anyone coming over at all regardless of the worthiness of their case.

Instead we get this hiding behind certain ‘ ‘red flag’ excuses they’ve picked up by certain publications.

”They’re criminals/illegals” - no one has ever been prosecuted for crossing the channel because there’s no law against requesting asylum.

”they’re all men, why can’t we accept some women” - but we don’t want to set up asylum application centres in foreign countries because that’ll encourage all of them to come.

”they're economic migrants” - but we need them to do the thousands of low skilled jobs we can’t fill.

”they don’t contribute” - all the evidence points to them being a net gain once they’ve been accepted.

Tbh I do fee the conversation got a little off topic because I really don’t think todays latest government shitshow should be about whether any of the people coming across the channel deserve to be here or not. They’re here, so we need to process them in the most efficient and humane way possible. Only someone whose opinion is very morally questionable could argue that what we’re doing now is remotely acceptable.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, choffer said:

The longer it goes on, the more I wonder if there ever was a mask in the first place. Maybe we just presumed there must have been because….well it was easier to think that people didn’t think and behave in such an ignorant and obnoxious way. 

There has been some research into this. The conclusion is not entirely surprising. 

Online Vs IRL behaviour.

The internet doesn’t turn people into assholes so much as it acts as a massive megaphone for existing ones, according to work by researchers at Aarhus University.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Straggler said:

There has been some research into this. The conclusion is not entirely surprising. 

Online Vs IRL behaviour.

Not surprising, although I would suggest that assholes having a giant megaphone, and being able to put their viewpoint on the same platform as reasonable sources legitimises illegitimate ideologies, and enables other assholes. For that reason it is dangerous. 

Â