The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I wonder if Neil Parish’s wife is going to write him a ‘Deere John’ letter? 

That would lack Claas.

yes, i'm a tractor nerd 

• Like 1

Tory plan to fix housing crisis is to stop building affordable houses

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/michael-gove-plans-scrap-rules-26841507#l2mzb99xenyp0rcc4x

Housing Secretary Michael Gove plans to abolish the "section 106" regulations forcing developers to build affordable housing with money instead being given to local councils

Housing Secretary Michael Gove has triggered a storm with plans to scrap rules that force developers to build affordable homes.

Section 106 regulations ensure that modestly priced properties and community projects are included in large building programmes.

But proposals to be outlined in the Queen’s Speech are set to cut the number affordable homes by 50,000 over 10 years.

Mr Gove is planning to replace the scheme with a building levy which would be paid to local authorities.

• Shocked 1

The trouble with the existing system is you could pay a lot of money for your shitty flat, and still end up living fairly close to some shitty people.

Whereas, if we put housebuilding for poor people back in to the responsibility of councils, they’ll be on separate developments elsewhere, on land the council can afford, further away from my expensive shitty flat.

Or as I like to call it, levelling up.

• Like 3

I do wonder once boris is removed (it will be straight after they lose the next election) no way are they winning.

Who is next? Sunak would have been odds on but after the recent scandal with his wife doubt there put more sleaze as leader. I reckon thwy give it to gove is probably more unlikeable than boris 

• Haha 1

They are also looking to give housing association tenants the right to buy further reducing the amount of social housing at a time when there are over 1 million families on the social housing waiting list.  Last year just over 5000 social houses were built.

The Tories as ever giving those with f all a good kicking and more of the same.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

The trouble with the existing system is you could pay a lot of money for your shitty flat, and still end up living fairly close to some shitty people.

Whereas, if we put housebuilding for poor people back in to the responsibility of councils, they’ll be on separate developments elsewhere, on land the council can afford, further away from my expensive shitty flat.

Or as I like to call it, levelling up.

I don’t understand the point you’re making here. I think it’s that currently “affordable” housing is mixed in with expensive, larger housing, but if councils had responsibility affordable housing would be built in places with cheaper land (and thus be less expensive). And you think that’s a bad thing? 

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

I don’t understand the point you’re making here. I think it’s that currently “affordable” housing is mixed in with expensive, larger housing, but if councils had responsibility affordable housing would be built in places with cheaper land (and thus be less expensive). And you think that’s a bad thing? 

You need to apply the chrisp65 sarcasm filter, then it should make more sense.

Property developers want to maximise their profits. If they can have their whole development at the price they want it, it’s a double whammy as folks don’t run the risk of living in close proximity to the ‘affordable’ units and that encourages more take up of more expensive units. Also, the council are then responsible when insufficient affordable housing is created.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, blandy said:

There is the argument that mixed affordable / profitable housing leads to less ghettoisation of poorer communities

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bickster said:

There is the argument that mixed affordable / profitable housing leads to less ghettoisation of poorer communities

NIMBY. 

• Like 1

Also, traditionally, when Tory government says "We'll give that money to local authorities instead" they tend to then cut the budgets of those authorities by a comparable amount in order to push them into a position where they have to choose between either building affordable housing or collecting the bins. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Absolutely shameful.

When told about a 77 year old pensioner who is struggling so much that she's cut back to one meal a day to save money and has resorted to getting up early and using her 24 hr buss pass to ride the buses so she doesn' thave to pay for heating... his response was to brag that the bus pass was something he introduced.

That's not a joke. That actually happened.

I really wish Covid had killed him.

The like is for the bottom line, if he actually had Covid of course. It would be a shocked reaction for the above, although it really isn't that shocking anymore is it?

He chats absolute shit, he said if they taxed the energy companies (who are recording multi billion pound record profits) even as a one off then the risk is it would put them off investing in things that might bring bills down lower later.

He has absolutely zero credibility. Clearly he’s given them assurances they will keep their profits. Maybe it’s the industry of choice for him after he leaves his current post.

Â