Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

On 3/23/2016 at 11:53, BOF said:

If we keep telling ourselves the Championship is this big tough cauldron of battle-hardened quality cutting each other's throats then we'll go down petrified of the place.  Rather than the motley collection of subpar kids, past-it pensioners and opportunistic Z-list foreigners that it actually is.  If we apply ourselves properly, there's no reason we don't go down there and murder everyone.

In other words we need to stop putting it on a pedestal.  It'll become a self-fulfilling prophecy if we go down believing that shit.

So, you think your squad, with it's subpar kids, past-it pensioners and opportunistic Z-list foreigners are going to murder the hoofball championship pub teams? Just how well do you compare to Bournemouth/Watford and Norwich, all of whom have mostly the same squads as last years' promotion teams? 

If that's your attitude, arrogant and disrespectful, then you're unlikely to get very far or have an enjoyable season.

You could get the kids in I suppose, they must be top of the U21 league right?

I would suggest, if Villa play together as a team and, as you say, apply yourselves properly, then you would have a good chance of a top six finish. 

You may well win the league but if you think it's going to be 'nice and easy murdering everyone' you'll likely be sorely disappointed.

As you are now, most of the top half of the championship are better than you, teams likely Burnley/Brighton/Boro possibly by some distance.

I wish you good luck though, as a Derby fan with a Villa supporting son I would like us both to go up.

Edited by ColonelBlimp
  • Like 1

Just now, ColonelBlimp said:

So, you think your squad, with it's subpar kids, past-it pensioners and opportunistic Z-list foreigners are going to murder the hoofball championship pub teams? Just how well do you compare to Bournemouth/Watford and Norwich, all of whom have mostly the same squads as last years' promotion teams? 

If that's your attitude, arrogant and disrespectful, then you're unlikely to get very far or have an enjoyable season.

I would suggest, if Villa play together as a team and, as you say, apply yourselves properly, then you would have a good chance of a top six finish. 

You may well win the league but if you think it's going to be 'nice and easy murdering everyone' you'll likely be sorely disappointed.

As you are now, most of the top half of the championship are better than you, teams likely Burnley/Brighton/Boro possibly by some distance.

I wish you good luck though, as a Derby fan with a Villa supporting son I would like us both to go up.

You took me up wrong.  I'm saying we must go down confident.  We must go down with a mindset that does not sell ourselves short.  All you read and hear about that league is how tough it is.  And it may well be.  But then those same pundits in the very next breath go on about the gulf in class to the Premier League.  Well which is it?  The quality of the Premier League is not down there.  That league gets over-sold and over-rated IMHO.  But regardless of that, it doesn't matter what I think.  I'm only on about the psychology of going down with the healthy competitive attitude that 'we are better', whether we are or not.  We've come from the Premier League.  As I said in my OP, if we go down fearing that league then we'll let it dominate us.  If we go down confident then we'll knock it off its pedestal quickly and get into our stride.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2016 at 12:50, Mammoth10 said:

Home to Bournemouth on the 9th April if Norwich pick up 4 points in their next two Newcastle (H), Palace (A), if as you stated we do the likely and lose the next two!

yet around same date last season we were in an FA Cup final :(

7 hours ago, BOF said:

You took me up wrong.  I'm saying we must go down confident.  We must go down with a mindset that does not sell ourselves short.  All you read and hear about that league is how tough it is.  And it may well be.  But then those same pundits in the very next breath go on about the gulf in class to the Premier League.  Well which is it?  The quality of the Premier League is not down there.  That league gets over-sold and over-rated IMHO.  But regardless of that, it doesn't matter what I think.  I'm only on about the psychology of going down with the healthy competitive attitude that 'we are better', whether we are or not.  We've come from the Premier League.  As I said in my OP, if we go down fearing that league then we'll let it dominate us.  If we go down confident then we'll knock it off its pedestal quickly and get into our stride.

Spot on!! It's like the we need a manager with Championship experience line. The only difference I can see is the games come thick and fast do it's more about your team than preparing for the opposition which for us should be ideal. We will be everyones cup final so that may be a challenge but 2/3 of the league are very poor and you only need a run of 10 good games to be in with a fighting chance of at least the Play Offs. If I'm missing something about that league I hope someone can point that out to me but it's not the 80's and most clubs try to play good football so it shouldn't have any fears for us. I totally agree we need to change the defeatist mindset that it'll be very tough and hopefully getting a new manager in sooner rather than later will help this. 

We should ask the players who they want to manage them, if they have so much power?

Then they might actually run around and we might not get relegated.  We could ask them to bribe their opposite numbers to throw the game too.

From readytogo (not a great source, but could he be right?)

It isn't just that Villa are going down, can't keep a manager and have such a poor squad which means they'll struggle to get back up any time soon.

The finance director is a friend of mine and he's taking very early retirement to the south of France.

He says that unless a buyer is found very quickly they'll be in as bad a shape as Leeds United :eek:

Edited by AndyGray1985

Watching the nufc naarwich game - the way Norwich actually chase down the opposition, they're like wild frothing coyotes compared to what we just witnessed at villa park. Anyhoos, NUFC loss today please, 3rd choice keeper in, hopefully Ed Balls can work his magic.

48 minutes ago, AndyGray1985 said:

It isn't just that Villa are going down, can't keep a manager and have such a poor squad which means they'll struggle to get back up any time soon.

The finance director is a friend of mine and he's taking very early retirement to the south of France.

He says that unless a buyer is found very quickly they'll be in as bad a shape as Leeds United :eek:

100% right

1 hour ago, AndyGray1985 said:

I think that is rubbish TBH. Brian Little said this situation is nothing like Leeds or Pompey, and Bernstein has said this situation can be turned around quickly. I trust their judgement rather than some random guy on a Sunderland forum. Sunderland are more likely to suffer financial ruin than us, I read ages ago that their high earners do not have wage drop clauses for relegation. It is scaremongering, plain and simple. The only thing that can mess us up is another bad managerial decision.  

Edited by GENTLEMAN

Beautiful, geordie fans keep hold of the ball to put norwich off from their free kick in injury time, have a great laugh amongst themselves giving it two fingers to the Norwich players wanting the ball,  new ball gets found, they throw the other one back on to delay further, then Norwich head it in from said free kick - lovely stuff.

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

really dont want Newcastle coming down with us. not only will steamroll the division they are probably only team stupid enough to sign our players

You've made a slight contradiction here as any team signing any of our player will have no benefit in doing so.

Â