Tiago Ilori

Demitri_C

What's the double pivot?

The pivot is basically the central DM who sits between midfield and defense.

The double pivot is basically 2 of them, so typically 4-2-3-1 formation.

Interesting to hear that this guy has also played as a defensive MF and is good technically and comfortable on the ball

I think he sounds like a real prospect and gives us more depth and options. 

I'm not sure if he'll play as a full back as he sounds more central and Sherwood seems to prefer attacking fullbacks for width.

Sounds like a good signing and I'm looking forward to seeing if / how he is used.

You sure? Jeison Murillo and Illori are both centre-backs. Did Granada really play two centre backs in defensive midfield as well as two outright centrehalfs. 

Thats quite interesting if they did!

Midlands correspondent (Pat Murphy maybe?) on some radio station was saying Ilori turned down Sunderland as he wasn't being guaranteed first team football.

So... who's making way?

Hutton would be my guess.

But I doubt very much any such guarantee has been given.

Midlands correspondent (Pat Murphy maybe?) on some radio station was saying Ilori turned down Sunderland as he wasn't being guaranteed first team football.

So... who's making way?

I heard he refused Sunderland because it's cold and crap

• Like 1

So... who's making way?

Birmingham isn't much better.

He comes highly rated and still a good age. Adding quality and competition for places can only be a good thing, it's good to have depth.

I wonder where he's at now as there's no pictures or quotes that I've seen. Is he with the u21 Portugal squad?

As for shirt number, I imagine he'll pick up number 2 or 3 now Baker and Bennett are out on loan.

Birmingham isn't much better.

Closer to the equator and not crap.  Sounds a lot better to me :D
  • Like 1

Good thing with this is having an option to buy, player won't have that mentality that I'm heading straight back and couldn't give a shit mentality.

And as fans we're not looking at another Kyle Walker who goes home a much better player.  This one only goes home if he's shit.

Good thing with this is having an option to buy, player won't have that mentality that I'm heading straight back and couldn't give a shit mentality.

And as fans we're not looking at another Kyle Walker who goes home a much better player. This one only goes home if he's shit.

I think that's the key with this transfer isn't it? He does well; we buy and we've got a good player, he does crap; we hand him back. It's about as win win as a loan deal gets.

• Like 1

Yep it's absolutely the key to it.  The only (very remote) scenario where it burns us if it becomes an Alderweireld situation where the player does unbelievably better than the agreed fee during his loan spell and the owner club says f*ck that and sells him to the highest bidder.

I call bullshit on the regular football thing. Sunderland are rotten. They're in trouble an don't look like dragging themselves out. They may just survive but it won't be pretty. He won't want to be associated with that, especially in he's highly rated, as is suggested.

He chose us because we're trying something progressive and interesting.

He's not likely to be an instant starter here anyway. Richards isn't making way and Lescott has just signed.

In Demitri's defence, you mentioned Bacuna and Richardson as being back to midfielders and then only mentioned Richardson as an option at fullback. He's either not an option or they both are :)

I omitted Bacuna intentionally through my hope of not seeing him play there again, that is what I was getting at when i said 'no I didn't'.

Although I should have applied the same to Richardson as well as I hope to never see him play LB for us again either.

Ok that makes sense but Richardson is worse at lb than bacuna is at rb!

I don't see any other place for bacuna in the side barring rb

Â