Tiago Ilori

Demitri_C

It's also going to be one of those very-oft misspelled names isn't it. Eye-Ell-Oh-Orr-Eye.

Not in Welsh its not :D

The Welsh will think it starts with two 'ells'.

Initially I thought this was an odd one when I thought he was just a CB but seemingly he is more versatile than that.

So it appears we now have the following options;

RB - Hutton, Crespo, IIori

CB - Lescott, Richards, Clark, Okore and perhaps Crespo and IIori

LB - Amavi, Richardson, Lescott

Baker and Bennett have gone out on loan and I'd imagine Bacuna and Richardson are now back to being midfielders rather than makeshift full backs, although I wouldn't be surprised to see the later go on loan.

That leaves Senderos who we've barely seen in 12 months and who you'd have to wonder if we will see again.

We've been woefully stocked in terms of defenders the last few years, particularly in the full back positions and we've had some real poor players across the back 4.

I'm not sure I think we are now over stocked, or that Sherwood has gone CB happy I just think we've forgotten what it is like not to have to need to depend on midfielders to have options at the back. I also still think there are some big question marks in relation to Okore and his fitness.

One of my absolute pet hates in football is having to make two changes to accommodate one change in a starting line up, it is the very definition of a poorly balanced squad.

You forgot bacuna at rb also so Weare definitely covered in defence.

As stated by another poster, he is a CB and will Imo be played as CB.

I'm sure he can be played in RB, just like Mellberg or Cuellar.  Atm thou, he is a CB.

But in time (few years down the line) considering his attributes and pace he might be turned into our RB version of Branislav Ivanovic, if he remains here...

Still think he'll play his career as a CB

What's the double pivot?

The pivot is basically the central DM who sits between midfield and defense.

The double pivot is basically 2 of them, so typically 4-2-3-1 formation.

Interesting to hear that this guy has also played as a defensive MF and is good technically and comfortable on the ball

I think he sounds like a real prospect and gives us more depth and options. 

I'm not sure if he'll play as a full back as he sounds more central and Sherwood seems to prefer attacking fullbacks for width.

Sounds like a good signing and I'm looking forward to seeing if / how he is used.

What's the double pivot?

Interesting to hear that this guy has also played as a defensive MF and is good technically and comfortable on the ball

I'm not sure if he'll play as a full back as he sounds more central and Sherwood seems to prefer attacking fullbacks for width.

Sounds like a good signing and I'm looking forward to seeing if / how he is used.

Kids.... back in my day, that position was known as a "stopper" :)

• Like 1

What's the double pivot?

In my day (early 90s playing the early Championship Manager) he was the anchor.

I miss anchors and sweepers.

Initially I thought this was an odd one when I thought he was just a CB but seemingly he is more versatile than that.

So it appears we now have the following options;

RB - Hutton, Crespo, IIori

CB - Lescott, Richards, Clark, Okore and perhaps Crespo and IIori

LB - Amavi, Richardson, Lescott

Baker and Bennett have gone out on loan and I'd imagine Bacuna and Richardson are now back to being midfielders rather than makeshift full backs, although I wouldn't be surprised to see the later go on loan.

That leaves Senderos who we've barely seen in 12 months and who you'd have to wonder if we will see again.

We've been woefully stocked in terms of defenders the last few years, particularly in the full back positions and we've had some real poor players across the back 4.

I'm not sure I think we are now over stocked, or that Sherwood has gone CB happy I just think we've forgotten what it is like not to have to need to depend on midfielders to have options at the back. I also still think there are some big question marks in relation to Okore and his fitness.

One of my absolute pet hates in football is having to make two changes to accommodate one change in a starting line up, it is the very definition of a poorly balanced squad.

You forgot bacuna at rb also so Weare definitely covered in defence.

No I didn't :)

In Demitri's defence, you mentioned Bacuna and Richardson as being back to midfielders and then only mentioned Richardson as an option at fullback.  He's either not an option or they both are :)

With an 'option to buy', does that mean if we bid the agreed fee at the end of the loan Liverpool cannot reject it?

Just thinking, if he's any good we might be able to snatch a good player off Liverpool for a reasonable fee.

If he has an excellent year you can guarantee his value will shoot up and Liverpool will want stupid money. Remember Scott Carson?

What's the double pivot?

I'm still playing and my gaffer reckons I'm an anchor ..... at least I think that's what he shouts from the dugout !!!

• Like 2

I still think Bacuna's position is right back. Although he has been pretty poor so far this season.

With an 'option to buy', does that mean if we bid the agreed fee at the end of the loan Liverpool cannot reject it?

Just thinking, if he's any good we might be able to snatch a good player off Liverpool for a reasonable fee.

If he has an excellent year you can guarantee his value will shoot up and Liverpool will want stupid money. Remember Scott Carson?

Pretty much yes.  We have a pre-agreed fee structure in place.

• Like 1

What's the double pivot?

I used to be called a wan.....

Yes. In some cases the player has to agree contractually in advance too, saves **** around trying to after terms at the end of the loan. Though I'd have thought it rare that a club would invoke such a clause if the player didn't want to join at the end!

Though this deal went through yesterday, we don't actually know how long we have held an interest or had contact.

In Demitri's defence, you mentioned Bacuna and Richardson as being back to midfielders and then only mentioned Richardson as an option at fullback.  He's either not an option or they both are :)

I omitted Bacuna intentionally through my hope of not seeing him play there again, that is what I was getting at when i said 'no I didn't'.

Although I should have applied the same to Richardson as well as I hope to never see him play LB for us again either.

• Like 1

I like this if only for the reaction of 3 bin dippers who I work with.

First they hate that Benteke has signed, earlier in the transfer window they were going on about not paying more than 20m for Benteke as he's not good enough for them. The dirty looks I received after laughing at their blank expressions when they paid 32.5m made my day, even though I think Benteke will do well for them.

And now this, they all hate Loveran's and wanted Ilore to replace him, now they want Rogers out!

Them two name mistakes are worse than the Clark/Clarke

I omitted Bacuna intentionally through my hope of not seeing him play there again, that is what I was getting at when i said 'no I didn't'.

Although I should have applied the same to Richardson as well as I hope to never see him play LB for us again either.

Hopefully the left-field (pun intended) acquisition of Ilori is the final nail in Richardson Villa coffin although I'd hope that coffin was fairly well nailed shut before he arrived.

Hopefully the left-field (pun intended) acquisition of Ilori is the final nail in Richardson Villa coffin although I'd hope that coffin was fairly well nailed shut before he arrived.

I think so especially as Lescott can also cover there if needed.

No midfielders at full back.... aren't we fancy. 

I would take the dissapointment of LIveprool fans with a pinch of salt.

They think every youngster they own is the next coming of Pele.

Everyone knows the next coming of Pele is far from unpredictable.

• Like 1

Â