Tiago Ilori

Demitri_C

I haven't really been able to find out much about him - can't tell if his loan moves were successful ones or not but it seems that for 22, he has very little senior experience - which is obviously quite a risk for us.

A risk in what way?

"he has very little senior experience"

I'm going to hazard guess and say that we didn't have a great deal of money left in the pot but its not like he has come to be a guaranteed first choice.

We've now got Lescott, Richards, Clark(e), Senderos, Okore, Illori and Crespo who can all play centre back. I'd call that competition for places, something we haven't had for a long time.

Why are you guys putting Ilori as a RB or LB? He is the future CB of the portuguese national team alongside Paulo Oliveira from Sporting CP. He is a CB, and i don't recall seeing him playing as a RB or LB.

You can see him here against England (Euro U-21) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srQ7RUUpIa0

Italy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWyfFdzbZZw

Sweden at the final - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GfDsCm3VLQ

As for the pronunciation of his name as He-lo-ri

Good post, thanks.

From the clips looks very comfortable on the ball, and seems to read the game pretty well.

The first clip of the Italy game made me laugh a little, because he did exactly what Clark should have done at the weekend for their 2nd.

I'm going to hazard guess and say that we didn't have a great deal of money left in the pot but its not like he has come to be a guaranteed first choice.

We've now got Lescott, Richards, Clark(e), Senderos, Okore, Illori and Crespo who can all play centre back. I'd call that competition for places, something we haven't had for a long time.

Nobody's going to argue with that - competition is healthy, hopefully he'll be good. 

Ok.

I'm wondering what the risk is to us? We're not exactly short on defenders.

I can't really tell if you're being obtuse for the sake of it or not - I'll humour you this time.

If he plays, we're putting an CB in with absolutely zero premier league experience and very little senior experience. Seeing as experience is very important when it comes to defending, this presents a risk on the field. 

I'd be suprised if the reason we signed him was to create more competition, we already had 6 senior centre backs(7 including baker) which is overkill imo.

I think its more likely someone tim or the scouting system rated highly enough that even though we were well stocked they thought it too good an opportunity to pass.

It pisses Liverpool fans off that we've signed him, and that's good enough for me.

Yes, I'm currently sat in my office listening to a pair of Liverpool fans moaning about this deal. I don't know anything about the player but worth it just to hear their soundbites.

I'd be suprised if the reason we signed him was to create more competition, we already had 6 senior centre backs(7 including baker) which is overkill imo.

I think its more likely someone tim or the scouting system rated highly enough that even though we were well stocked they thought it too good an opportunity to pass.

Right, so if he is going to be around the first team then he is competition for other players in that position.

Right, so if he is going to be around the first team then he is competition for other players in that position.

Wires crossed, thought you were saying that's why we signed him.

I agree it gives us pretty fierce competition for places.

• Like 1

It pisses Liverpool fans off that we've signed him, and that's good enough for me.

Yes, I'm currently sat in my office listening to a pair of Liverpool fans moaning about this deal. I don't know anything about the player but worth it just to hear their soundbites.

I bet they don't know anything about him either

• Like 1

Hearing good things about him from Liverpool fans up here

While that's good, we do need to be aware of the Cuéllar quotient.  Ilori has never played a single minute for Liverpool's first team.  That almost makes him eligible for the Ballon d'Or.

Ok.

I'm wondering what the risk is to us? We're not exactly short on defenders.

I can't really tell if you're being obtuse for the sake of it or not - I'll humour you this time.

If he plays, we're putting an CB in with absolutely zero premier league experience and very little senior experience. Seeing as experience is very important when it comes to defending, this presents a risk on the field.

Isn't that the deal with all young players, particularly central defenders as you say. If he shows enough in training and cup games then he will earn his spot.

We don't know at this point what the plan is though do we.

If we had signed him and not Lescott I would agree it is one hell of a risk. However, we negate that risk by having plenty of options in that position. I doubt he will start against Leicester.

I bet they don't know anything about him either

Knowing Liverpool fans he was the greatest young centre back in the world until the very second he signed for us.

Whilst this is an obvious jibe at Liverpool fans its actually not far off the truth. Many many of them have been asking for him to be in the team instead of Louvren of the 15 Pizzas for ages. They hate Louvren and after Saturday its easy to see why. Not sure if their assessment of Llori is based on hating Louvren or Lori's talent however.

Â