Starting Lineup....

GeordieVillan

Thought I'd have a stab at the final 25 + (Under 21s). Please try to get past where I've put people and the formation please! Just it's easier to see our relative positional depth in a chart like this rather than a straight table.

-------------------------------- Guzan/Steer/Bunn --------------------------------

Hutton/Crespo ---- Richards/Okore -- Clark/Baker ------ Amavi(21)/Bennett

-------- Gana/Bacuna ---- Westwood/Sanchez --- Vertout/Gardner ------- + Richardson

Gil/Adama(21)/Agbonlahor --------------------------- Grealish(21)/Sinclair/Cole

------------------------------- Gestede/Ayew/Kozak ------------------------------

24 + 3 Classifying as Under 21 (Amavi was born after 1 January 1994)

That means from the "First Team Squad" shipping out N'Zogbia, Senderos and Tonev. Think these three most have agreed upon are unlikely to be among Tim's plans.

So Having 3 First Team players classifying as Under 21 we would have space for one more player. I think that's either N'Zogbia, if he stays, some new player, or it'll remain open for use in January. We could still sign an Under 21 (Still think we'll try to sign a developmental right back).

• Like 1

When I look at that I wonder, do we need another centre mid more than anything else?

Obviously a top class striker or centre back would be welcomed, but we look low on strength in depth if we play a 3 man midfield. Maybe I'm being a little greedy?

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

Don't forget Sherwood will likely want to bring some through the academy too. If things got so bad that we couldn't field a central 3 then we now have enough attacking options that we could revert a to just a central pairing and then 3 more attacking midfielders.

I think generally Tim would much prefer not having to play purely with a 2. He likes a 3 where one of side of the trio bombs foreword from deep, leaving the other two as a double pivot of sorts whilst in an attacking position.

If we only get in Adama then this is our strongest line-up IMO. I honestly know nothing about Crespo, I've heard differing reports on whether he's better at RB or CB. If only Richards could play in his natural RB position and we'd get in a CB we'd even stronger. But he did play very well at CB vs Bournemouth so hopefully he'll shut us up and be amazing there. Even now our squad is ridiculously better on paper than last season. Looking at how the squad is set up I fairly confident Sherwood will go for another striker to rotate with Gestede. If we are in fact done in the transfer market I'd still be very confident for the coming season!

Guzan

Bacuna - Richards - Clark - Amavi

Veretout - Westwood - Gueye

Adama - Gestede - Grealish

Subs:

Bunn

Okore

Gil

Ayew

Gabby

Sanchez

Sinclair

Reserves:

Gardner

Steer

Hutton

Baker

Crespo

Bennett

Richardson

Youth players

• Like 2

agree with the above , would like sanchez in for westwood for certain games probably against the big boys to add that steel in the middle . other then that spot on.

Also dont think ive seen a bench that strong ever at the villa , and no nzogbia could this get any better ??

Think Richardson will be kept purely because of his experience and versatility. He's not a bad squad player to have at all. Similar to Cole.

Good to have a few old heads around the place.

• Like 3

When I look at that I wonder, do we need another centre mid more than anything else?

Obviously a top class striker or centre back would be welcomed, but we look low on strength in depth if we play a 3 man midfield. Maybe I'm being a little greedy?

I don't think you're being greedy at all. I don't hold out much hope that Gardner is going to storm the league this year. Gana seems to have settled in. Westwood will do his job, Veretout may take a while to acclimatise, Sanchez needs to find some consistency. If Gardner leaves on loan as expected then as long as there are other full backs available our second string looks like Bacuna--Sanchez--Richardson unless Mason or Calder get a chance.

We've only replaced Cleverley and Delph so far. Injurys worry me. Especially as I've been watching one of the worst Villa midfields I can recall in recent years.

Edited by VILLAMARV
  • Like 1

---------------Guzan

Hutton-Richards-Clark-Amavi

-----------Vertout-Gueye

---------Traore-Gil-Grealish

---------------Gestede 

Possibly abit to attack minded , i think we'd probably have to drop maybe Gil and bring in Westwood or Sanchez but i like it .

are we done spending yet?

clearly not all of tims signing will be starters, but to fit the right players in is going to be a headache

i think we now have too many players on the books now

are we done spending yet?

clearly not all of tims signing will be starters, but to fit the right players in is going to be a headache

i think we now have too many players on the books now

I don't think a headache really..

Adama, Amavi, Richards, Veretout and Gueye are sure starters when fit. 

Crespo and Bunn good utility players to have on the bench and signed as such.

Gestede/Ayew as the strikers, they'll be more rotation here with Gabby and Kozak in mix, obviously Gestede now looking like starter but it can quickly change if one of others catches form, good to have competition especially at this place.

Leaves Sinclair as the only uncertain one, he came over to play more at Villa, but with Grealish on the left he'll struggle I imagine, but for now he is a starter again and will provide good competition to Jack.

I mean I don't think its headache, its actually fairly nice to have such nice options available throughout the team. :P

Edited by Alakagom

I would actually like to see this line-up:

----------------------Guzan-----------------

Crespo-----Richards---Clark---Amavi

-------------Veretout-----Gana------------

Ayew-------------Traore--------Grealish

-------------------Gestede------------------

Subs: Bunn, Bacuna, Baker, Richardson, Gabby, Sinclair, Gil

That's really decent attacking options from the bench! And, the starting top four will kill teams.

That's really decent attacking options from the bench! And, the starting top four will kill teams.

that's one way to celebrate Westwood's new contract!

I'd swap Gil for Ayew. Then that's a solid team.

that's one way to celebrate Westwood's new contract!

He was injured when I picked this line-up ;) throw him in for Richardson! In fact, you can change Baker for Okore whilst you're at it.

Edited by villarocker

I just don't envision Grealish playing primarily out wide on the left.  He doesn't have enough pace imo.  Last season I thought he played better a bit more central behind the strikers.  I'm thinking he will rotate with Gil as the central AM.  However, if we don't sign another LW then we really only have Sinclair to play wide left.

Perhaps Grealish will rotate between LW and AM?  That would give him plenty of game time.  I'm of the opinion that TS will use 2 formations primarily (given the signings)...  442 <> and a typical 4231 with wingers.  Its just so exciting with all the player options we have now!

442<>

---------------------------------Guzan/Bunn-------------------------------

Bacuna/Hutton---Micah/Okore---Clark/Baker---Amavi/Bennett

-----------------------------Westwood/Sanchez-------------------------

-----Gana/New CM-------------------------Veretout/Richardson-----

--------------------------------Gil/Grealish---------------------------------

-------------Ayew/Gabby-------------------Gestede/Kozak------------

---------------------------------Guzan/Bunn-------------------------------

Hutton/Bacuna---Micah/Okore---Clark/Baker---Amavi/Richardson

----------Gana/Westwood----------------Veretout/Sanchez----------

Traore/Ayew--------------Gil/Grealish-------------Sinclair/Grealish

-------------------------Gestede/Kozak/Gabby--------------------------

Obviously Grealish could flip and be a starter in these slots if he proves it on the pitch.  Maybe he is best used with these options wide left in the 4231??  ;)

Edited by ejs1111