Jordan Veretout

MikeMcKenna

Some nice passes, did a lot of chasing back from what I saw, was partly at fault for 2nd goal but it was really on Gana for not controlling/releasing ball well enough/soon enough. Not anywhere near finished article. Think he is improving and there's a player ther.e Like Okore think a Season in the championship could really help him become a solid PL level player. Hope he stays when we go down.

I thought he was crap first half. He kept running into areas where he could easily be marked, rather than free himself and make himself available for the ball. 

He also had a poor role in the second goal, just as the other two midfielders did. 

Yet to be convinced by either him or Gueye

If either one of them came into a experienced midfield they would be fine ,that we put two of them together with Sanchez who himself only had one season in the league has proven to be an epic mistake.

• Like 3

Can't be judging him on 8-9 PL games has done some good things and not so good things ,think he has potential to be a decent player given time .

We don't have time. 

We don't but he is better than a lot of our other midfielders

12 minutes ago, BigAl said:

I agree with that, but that's a damning indictment of them, rather than praise of Veretout. 

In the end, he'll probably be pretty decent. Maybe good even.

We'll have been relegated by then. 

I agree with that, but that's a damning indictment of them, rather than praise of Veretout. 

It looking very likely but Veretout could be vital in getting us back up

One of the worst players on the pitch first half (but it was a tight contest between about 9 of them)

One of the best players on the pitch in the second half.

We need more second half performances from him, but even then I'm not sure he's particuarly good he just looks good occasionally because compared to Sanchez, and even Gana to some extent, he's world class! He's shown nothing to suggest he's even on par with the likes of Delph or Cleverley or that he has it in his locker.

He's pretty average but still one of our best midfielders. Depressing.

Of course. But we basically already are relegated bar the shouting, so what else is there to do except try and enjoy the individual players, give them the experience they need and hope they grow from it?

• Like 1

He knows how to take a free-kick and a corner - for that reason alone we need to find a place for him. Its been 3-4 years since we've looked dangerous from set-pieces.

His corners are poor. He had about 5 in a row that didn't clear the first man.

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Of course. But we basically already are relegated bar the shouting, so what else is there to do except try and enjoy the individual players, give them the experience they need and hope they grow from it?

Sure. My point was, in August we needed to sign a central midfielder who immediately improved the starting eleven, not a project who started to show signs of quality after half a season. 

But obviously yes, it's better that he's better now than if he was worse. He'll either be good in the Championship or we'll get some coin for him. That doesn't mean he was the right signing though. 

• Like 1

Michael Cox: How intelligent Veretout is offering promise for Sherwood-less Villa

There’s been little for Aston Villa supporters to get excited about recently, and the 2-0 weekend defeat to Arsenal offered relatively little comfort. Their performance wasn’t bad after half-time, but realistically Villa simply need results – they’re already eight points away from survival.

There were, however, a couple of bright attacking performances. Scott Sinclair, who has been in and out of the side this season, dribbled forward dangerously towards the right of the pitch, providing Villa with some much-needed pace and directness in possession.

With Villa’s centre-backs suffering from injuries, their holding midfielders unconvincing and Garde unsure of whether to use Jordan Ayew or Rudy Gestede up front, their side is currently based around Veretout.

A prodigiously talented midfielder who came through the ranks at his local team Nantes, Veretout first made his name during France’s U20 World Cup-winning side of 2013, where he played alongside Juve’s Paul Pogba and Geoffrey Kondogbia, now of Inter Milan. Whereas those two impressed with their all-round game, mixing power with great technical quality, Veretout was all about the latter. He’s under 5ft 10in and quite slight, but nevertheless showed great guile in possession, and intelligently varied his position to keep passing moves flowing.

veretout_arsenal.jpg?itok=ouhfm9XF

That performance was particularly impressive considering Veretout, until that point, had never played at a level above Ligue 2, helping Nantes to promotion in 2012/13. Nevertheless, scouts from across Europe were already keeping an eye upon him.

Veretout started the first two games of the season, a win at Bournemouth and a narrow home defeat to Manchester United, but then only started one more league match under Sherwood.

“It was difficult under Tim because I was happy with my performances on the pitch and in training and I was happy with the way I was conducting myself,” Veretout says. “But I didn’t have a lot of dialogue with Tim. We barely spoke and I could never get a proper reason as to why I wasn’t playing.”

Since Garde took charge at the start of November, however, Veretout has played in every minute, contributing assists in both Villa’s previous games, against Watford and Southampton.

It was his performance against Arsenal at the weekend, however, which really showed his quality. Misplacing just three of the 50 passes he attempted, the Frenchman was thoughtful and positive with his distribution, usually staying in an inside-right position and helping Villa build attacks down that flank. The advanced positioning of Alan Hutton after half-time was primarily because Veretout was conducting play so expertly, and begging for an overlap to force pressure down that side.

veretout_1.png?itok=-Un5_z9I

Veretout also impressed with his set-piece deliveries. Boasting a flat, drilled kicking style that seems to cause opponents problems, there was a spell in the second half where Villa had four consecutive right-wing corners because Arsenal simply couldn’t clear their lines properly. With Gestede formidable in the air, and the likes of Joleon Lescott and Micah Richards also capable of moving forward to provide headed goals, dead-ball situations are likely to be a key part of Aston Villa’s approach this season.

Veretout, though, must be wondering how things might have been different. In the summer, he had a choice between joining Aston Villa or Leicester – and chose the former, at a considerable loss to Nantes, because Leicester were actually offering more money. A gentleman’s agreement between Veretout and Nantes chairman Waldemar Kita meant the player was allowed to choose. Nantes lost out – and perhaps so did Veretout.

Rather than playing for the team which started the weekend top, Veretout is now with the Premier League’s bottom club. More than most, therefore, he’ll have particular motivation to keep battling, and ensure he gets to enjoy a second season in England’s top flight.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/michael-cox-how-intelligent-veretout-offering-promise-sherwood-less-villa#:REZo3nIbYLrLFA

Â