Jordan Ayew

HeyAnty

Realistic goal target for Jordan Ayew for the season in all competitions?

I think he'll have more link player duties and being a counter attacking outlet rather than being the out and out goalscorer.

Would 11-15 be seen as reasonable?

I think that's fair but he's an interesting player and it depends what Sherwood want from him.

With Gil I can see a good partnership, Ayew makes a lot of runs and unlike Gabby backs himself to score. As ever we need improved service.

I wonder if all this transfer nonsense has inspired him, he loves the attention and he'll develop some sort of fan relationship however he performs.

L'equipe seemed to think it was around 12m Euros. Wasn't that the original deal of sorts?

Yes , the reported fee originally was between £6.99 and Charles Nzogbia's badminton racquet and shuttlecock & 256mil.

**** Lorient, I hope we never do business with them again, and crush them in the Europa League and scare their fans

mask_fangora_m.PNG Bwahah!

OAMSN, like many kids he seems to simply have reacted to what he perceives as unfair treatment from his club, which I totally understand. Unless Villa tries to do the same stunt as Lorient, changing the goal posts in the middle of negotiations, we shouldn't need to experience that. I like to believe that we're not that kind of club.

Other than that, my impressions are good. He is very focused, a hard worker, takes his trade very seriously, first to enter the training area and last one to leave-sort of type. He seems down to earth and pretty philosophical when it comes to things like abuse from fans, simply concluding that some people are idiots then getting on with it. Hopefully he's gotten smart enough not to say things that would alienate Villa fans, so that his tendency to show underpants now and then becomes an endearing sign of a colorful character and not a visual reminder that he's a general grade A plonker. He does seem a guy with (future) ability to set Villa Park alight, which I very much look forward to.

(I don't really know the player, this is based on bits and pieces on the net, and the analyse thingy posted in this thread x pages back)

• Like 1

**** Lorient, I hope we never do business with them again, and crush them in the Europa League and scare their fans

mask_fangora_m.PNG Bwahah!

OAMSN, like many kids he seems to simply have reacted to what he perceives as unfair treatment from his club, which I totally understand. Unless Villa tries to do the same stunt as Lorient, changing the goal posts in the middle of negotiations, we shouldn't need to experience that. I like to believe that we're not that kind of club.

Other than that, my impressions are good. He is very focused, a hard worker, takes his trade very seriously, first to enter the training area and last one to leave-sort of type. He seems down to earth and pretty philosophical when it comes to things like abuse from fans, simply concluding that some people are idiots then getting on with it. Hopefully he's gotten smart enough not to say things that would alienate Villa fans, so that his tendency to show underpants now and then becomes an endearing sign of a colorful character and not a visual reminder that he's a general grade A plonker. He does seem a guy with (future) ability to set Villa Park alight, which I very much look forward to.

(I don't really know the player, this is based on bits and pieces on the net, and the analyse thingy posted in this thread x pages back)

:D  :D  :D

I'm keeping my expectations low I mean I wasn't expecting 20 a season from Bent and we paid like £18 million for that guy.. Provided Ayew contributes with some goals and it doesn't feel like we're playing with 10 men every match (thanks Bent) then I'm happy. Yes £9 million is a lot, but it's also not in this wacky age of football. As some have said we'd barely get a good Championship player for £9 million and this guy on his day is vastly better than that. Yes he is still young and he is still very much learning his craft and growing, so my expectations aren't super high. 

Edited by Daweii
  • Like 1

I don't see him as a Benteke replacement, I still think that player is to come 

I don't think it will be a Benteke type replacement as such, but certainly I think another striker is to come, but a more `direct' type striker than Ayew, if that makes sense.

• Like 1

For the money were spending i expect at least 10 - 15

What you expect and what you get is totally different so I hope we give the guy a chance and don't judge if he doesn't !!

At the end of the day he doesn't have to do much to impress us right now. I mean last-season Agbonlahor - 6 goals in 32 apps.. Weimann - 4 goals in 33 apps.. Benteke - 15 goals in 33 apps.. So for me Ayew ideally needs to score more than Gabby and less than Benteke to be considered a success right now. So that is where my expectations lie. For all I know he could come here and score 1 goal in 30+ apps, but he could also come here and score 25 goals. Provided his tally is closer to 10 by the end I'll be content with that provided we have goals coming in from elsewhere as well..

Edited by Daweii
  • Like 1

What is the standard of the French league like compared to the Premier League? He scored 12 league goals last season, 3 of which were penalties, so can we reasonable expect him to get double figures next season for us? I guess if we do sign Adebayor as well and they can get 20 goals between them that would be enough to ensure safety. 

I'm keeping my expectations low I mean I wasn't expecting 20 a season from Bent and we paid like £18 million for that guy.. Provided Ayew contributes with some goals and it doesn't feel like we're playing with 10 men every match (thanks Bent) then I'm happy. Yes £9 million is a lot, but it's also not in this wacky age of football. As some have said we'd barely get a good Championship player for £9 million and this guy on his day is vastly better than that. Yes he is still young and he is still very much learning his craft and growing, so my expectations aren't super high.

This is what it's all about. We are talking about buying and investing in humans. The mental aspect can make or break a player. Look at Falcao, look at Torres. Undeniably great players who for whatever reason didn't make the same impact with a change of scenery. Different surrounds, different tactics and playing systems, different managerial styles, all these and more play a part. At the end of the day we are just gambling. The clubs job is to make the most educated gambles, weighing up risk vs rewards at any given moment. I think for the money we are spending the risk vs rewards scenario here is in our favour.

• Like 2

I don't see him as a Benteke replacement, I still think that player is to come 

I don't think it will be a Benteke type replacement as such, but certainly I think another striker is to come, but a more `direct' type striker than Ayew, if that makes sense.

It does make sense. If anything the pre season games have shown how lacking options up front we have. I think Sherwood will also realise that a couple of knocks here and there to say Gil and Grealish and we will definitely need versatility with players. I think its a given we will see another striker. I think Ayew will also at times play wide in a three up top or sit just behind the main striker giving us another option in attack. Plus 9m in todays market is a good price especially for a full international player. And let's be fair, we paid nearly as much for NZogbia 4 years ago and got what in return?.......Still waiting imo.

Personally I don't see any gamble whatsoever with having Ayew at Villa as most all of our forwards bar Benteke have massively underachieved in recent years. If anything I'm pleased we are bringing in players with big ego's and a little attitude after what we have endured. We need peacocks not pigeons and Ayew fits that bill;)   

I expect him to be proud to wear the colours and give his all. Anything else is a bonus!

This all day. Was going to post the same.

Don't agree with that at all.  We may as well have kept Weimman and Albrighton if that's all we expect from our players.

What is the standard of the French league like compared to the Premier League?

The French league is absolutely terrible in comparison.

except Chelsea and Arsenal was both knocked out by French teams from Champions League ;)

• Like 3

Â