Micah Richards

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

The fact that it is there at all. Why would the club put it in otherwise when it is detrimental to them? 

We are of course assuming that it is there.

The point is not that it is there, more so that whoever was negotiating these clauses did not do a very good job, however it is dressed up. Why would the club give Gabby his contract that he's on?

The bottom line is that we've had mash mellows negotiating on our behalf all the way through the Lerner era. Being a nice person and being a football negotiator simply do not mix. Shirt sales have improved though, so I'm led to believe.

At the end of the day, a man like Levy, Wyness or even Doug Ellis would have better represented our club in negotiations than numptys like Fox, Faulkner, Reiley etc.

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

I'm amazed people still don't understand the basic premise of negotiations :(

Yep. 

People still seem to think they're put in by our side for shits and giggles

11 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

The evidence is the contract.

That is not evidence.

That simply shows how soppy we were.

Now if DDID had shown us that, for example, we dropped £5k a week off our initial offer in return for a lower sell on clause, then I could live with it but to claim he wouldn't sign unless we took a hit on the sell on fee because its in a contract (supposedly) is little more than idle gossip.

For me, this is further testimony of why transfer committees do not work and why real football should be in charge of these things, which thankfully seems to be the case moving forwards.

15 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

That is not evidence.

That simply shows how soppy we were.

Now if DDID had shown us that, for example, we dropped £5k a week off our initial offer in return for a lower sell on clause, then I could live with it but to claim he wouldn't sign unless we took a hit on the sell on fee because its in a contract (supposedly) is little more than idle gossip.

For me, this is further testimony of why transfer committees do not work and why real football should be in charge of these things, which thankfully seems to be the case moving forwards.

So, to conclude, without evidence of anything that had been offered previously nor competition from other clubs, the team have given in on a terrible release clause and not negotiated well.

However, without evidence of anything that had been offered previously nor competition from other clubs, anyone who disagrees with this is "soppy" and the entire episode is proof that transfer committees don't work?

Riiiiight.

Edit:  To be fair, you didn't say people were soppy - just the club.  The point stands though :(

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

:lol: this thread.

We protect ourselves in the event of relegation by inserting wage reductions into players' contracts

The players protect themselves by inserting a small(ish) release clause into the contract in the event of a relegation.

It's not rocket science. You can't just have it one way. Well you can try, but the player wouldn't sign. 

I would venture to suggest that ours was by far the best offer on the table to him (if indeed there were others), hence the deal being done so early.

Do you really think that he wouldn't sign if we said we wanted £8 million for him, not 7?

We were his preferred choice, be it because we were PL and/or because we were offering him the highest package. He wouldn't jeopardise that for the sake of £1million on a release clause.

4 minutes ago, Richie k said:

i thought richards must be gone when i saw all the new replies on this thread,damn ye

Likewise.  Very very disappointed in you all.

IMO we don't know anywhere near enough about each contract to either criticise or praise the Club.  Chances are in some cases we did good business and in others not so good. Even then it would be very subjective.  One thing for sure, however clued up or not the Club were the players will almost all have had differing offers and their Agents will have sought the best deal.  That is bound to mean that to get someone you really want you may not get the best deal from the Clubs viewpoint.  But the same goes for every Club.

• Like 1

Just now, Butterfingers said:

I would venture to suggest that ours was by far the best offer on the table to him (if indeed there were others), hence the deal being done so early.

Do you really think that he wouldn't sign if we said we wanted £8 million for him, not 7?

We were his preferred choice, be it because we were PL and/or because we were offering him the highest package. He wouldn't jeopardise that for the sake of £1million on a release clause.

I have no idea, it's all guesswork really who was/wasn't in for him, what he would have accepted or not, we don't know. We may have done really well to get him to accept a £7m release clause as he may have wanted a £3m release clause for all we know. On the other hand, he may have accepted a £15m release clause had we tried. There's little point saying we did good or bad in this, because without being privy to the discussions, we simply do not know. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

Well based on your previous replies on this thread, the only way that this suggestion can be taken seriously is if you provide us with proof.

Or is conjecture and supposition only relevant when it's yours?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Wow, I wrote that ^^^ before I'd read the last couple of pages.

Even more bewildered now that people don't get how this works!

People seem to think it's like a job in a supermarket, and the club just issues its standard terms of employment. Baffling.

Â