Micah Richards

Demitri_C

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I was hoping he was dropped rather than injured, he's deserved it on his last few outings and I think we looked better without him.

Spurs could easily have 5, they targeted Okore every time knowing that his reading of the game is poor. With or without Richards our defence is awful.

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Spurs could easily have 5, they targeted Okore every time knowing that his reading of the game is poor. With or without Richards our defence is awful.

Richards has been absolutely, without question, the worst defender i have ever seen pull on a villa shirt in the last 3 games he has played. 

I only saw the hi lights of yesterdays game and okore looked awful. Positionally he was caught out & he looks overweight to me...very slow.

Our defence without richards is awful, and with him it is catastrophic...i almost think we would be better off without him on the pitch, with just lescott/okore & 2 fullbacks. 

• 2 weeks later...

Micah Richards labels Aston Villa fan 'a clown' and says players deserve break due to 'long hard season'

BY GREGG EVANS
The captain was pictured in Dubai with Gabby Agbonlahor this weekend as Villa were granted extra days off over the Easter period

SHARES

COMMENTS

Enter your e-mail for our Aston Villa FC newsletter
 Subscribe
Micah Richards commentMicah Richards comment

Micah Richards has labelled an Aston Villa fan ‘a clown’ for tagging him in a picture on Instagram.

The Villa captain, who has 128,000 followers on the social media site, posted a reply to one supporter which read:

“Don’t tag me in your stupid photos u clown! Excuse us for having a few days away after a long hard season.”

While it’s not clear what picture Richards was referring to, the skipper’s comments have angered some supporters as they prepare for their team’s first top-flight relegation for almost 30 years.

Micah Richards of Aston VillaMicah Richards of Aston Villa
Over the weekend the ex-Manchester City ace was pictured on holiday in Dubai with the club’s longest-serving player, Gabby Agbonlahor.

The subject has been a hot topic among the claret and blue faithful, and his reaction to this separate incident, at a sensitive time of the season has now sparked more debate.

The Villa pair who jetted away from the Midlands late last week are entitled to a break from their day-to-day routine and should not be criticised for enjoying their time off.

Players with no international commitments were granted a long weekend away from Bodymoor Heath to coincide with the four-day Easter holiday that the majority of the nation enjoyed away from work. Other members of the squad spent time with their friends and families, so should they be lambasted, too?

There’s a myth that days off are counter-productive because players should be slogging away trying to right the wrongs of this campaign.

Aston Villa Coca Cola Cup glory 1996

Doug's tears

Flashback

Naked chanting

Where are they now?
But time away to free your mind from some of the troubles over what has been a ‘long, hard season’ albeit a disastrous one, can often have a positive effect.

Granted, Richards and Agbonlahor could have spent their time doing extra fitness work, or even meeting fans to address some of the issues that have haunted Villa, but it’s hard to imagine either of them even considering the latter given the abuse they’ve received on social media this term.

And, after all, this isn’t a regular occurance. It’s a short break during a hectic season that has taken it’s toll on everyone associated with Villa.

Deep down Richards will know that his performances haven’t been up to scratch in recent times but he always puts in a shift and tries to rally his team.

As captain he’s also had to face up to the press more often that not in times of defeat. That’s more than can be said for the rest of the under-performers who shirk media duties whenever they can.

I understand the frustrations among Villa fans right now and incidents like these only fuel the fire.

But are we turning on players just for the sake of it these days?

Another day, another falling out with the fans

what does he mean, after a long hard season? you're right in the **** middle of it.

No issue with players taking a break, everyone deserves and needs time off, spending it drinking and smoking cigars as a professional athlete still in the middle of a season isn't acceptable to me. Get pissed on your millions in your long summer break.

• Like 3

not to mention he is supposed to be the captain, excellent role model behaviour calling fans clowns on social media.

I wonder if he ever called out fans in Italy, I'd love to hear what the guys on ViolaTalk think of him.

• Like 1

Thick as **** players + social media = This

And Micah (sadly because I thought he was smarter than this) is the stupidest of the lot!  It's been happening all season: Bacuna posting his sunbathing pic, the Lescott's car fiasco, Richards' argument with Ian Wright etc etc.  We clearly didn't have a media relations advisor briefing the players under the old calamitous board, but surprised we haven't fixed this with the new guys coming in.

Perhaps they're happy to let them hang themselves but I can't see the PR doing the club any favours.

So I'm guessing this little excursion was sanctioned by the club?

If not then I expect both players to be stripped of their captaincies (as they should be either way) fined and be forced by Duverne to run laps until they puke.

Just when you think you couldn't hate a player anymore, this comes out.

If Micah thinks this season has been hard, then he'll have a rude awakening playing for a team where he will actually have to work!

Â