Watford

VillaChris

On 13/02/2022 at 16:44, jacketspuds said:

Are we going to give Woy his first win as Watford manager?

Nothing would surprise me with us right now.

Was it ever in doubt? Charity case Villa as usual. 

• Thanks 1

On 14/02/2022 at 07:17, pas5898 said:

Can't buy a win? Can't score? Manager about to be sacked?

Enter Aston Villa

On 14/02/2022 at 15:55, His Name Is Death said:

I've kept Dennis in my FPL team for that reason. *sigh*

It's amazing how true these things always are we should be millionaires chaps!

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Xela said:

Pleased they are gone for 2 reasons;

1) Proves that their scattergun manager approach doesn't work

2) We never seem to beat the words removed. 

**** off Watford and don't come back. 

Option one how does it not work?

Watford have been in the top flight 14 seasons ever and 6 of them under this management.

What do you think Watford are expecting to do?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Watford have been in the top flight 14 seasons ever and 6 of them under this management.

Completely agree. It’s a strange approach chopping and changing managers as often as they do but it has seen them performing at a higher level than they have for most of their history.

Them getting relegated has far more to do with the strength of their squad than changing manager mid season.

I disgaree with both if you zatman and tom. I thought the 1st manager they had wasnt actually that bad. They pulled the trigger way too quickly sacked him. Then bought in raneri who was a disaster. And Hodgson has flopped too.

Watford have some decent players. I think the chopping and changing is a massive problem. They need stability 

Parachute payments make all the difference when spent wisely. I wonder how easily they’ll find promotion this time around. Watford will need another shipment of managers for the new season. They can’t go into it with just the one. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I disgaree with both if you zatman and tom. I thought the 1st manager they had wasnt actually that bad. They pulled the trigger way too quickly sacked him. Then bought in raneri who was a disaster. And Hodgson has flopped too.

Watford have some decent players. I think the chopping and changing is a massive problem. They need stability 

Yeah Xisco should've got way more than 7 games, he beat us and Norwich in that run so wasn't too bad. Appointing Ranieri mid season pretty much relegated them.

I don't think that squad is great though. Odd exciting attacking player but their defence and midfield options are terrible and much weaker than what they had two seasons ago.

Think they'll have a West Brom type year next season.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

They keep on hiring the wrong managers during the prem seasons though. For example Javi Gracia got them top half and FA cup final in 2019, he was sacked three games into the next season. Then re-hired Quique Sanchez Flores who got them 1 win in about 11 games. so their good run of form under Nigel Pearson meant nothing in the end.

Carbon copy this season, Xisco sacked much too early. Ranieri move didn't work out and really they should've tried to get a Hodgson type in the October/November period so that's where there's little logic to what they're doing.

They also make some odd moves with some of the players they sign. Estupian was there years, barely played and now playing regularly for Villareal.

On 08/05/2022 at 16:07, VillaChris said:

They keep on hiring the wrong managers during the prem seasons though. For example Javi Gracia got them top half and FA cup final in 2019, he was sacked three games into the next season. Then re-hired Quique Sanchez Flores who got them 1 win in about 11 games. so their good run of form under Nigel Pearson meant nothing in the end.

Carbon copy this season, Xisco sacked much too early. Ranieri move didn't work out and really they should've tried to get a Hodgson type in the October/November period so that's where there's little logic to what they're doing.

They also make some odd moves with some of the players they sign. Estupian was there years, barely played and now playing regularly for Villareal.

The ownership seem mental. Jokanovic got them promoted a few years back and got sacked straight away!. Gracia did well and was binned. Their managers this season have got progressively worse. 

On 08/05/2022 at 02:38, Zatman said:

In every way really. It's the parachute payments that get them promoted. The philosophy on managers just means they will never have any stability. 

• Like 1

On 08/05/2022 at 07:26, tom_avfc said:

Completely agree. It’s a strange approach chopping and changing managers as often as they do but it has seen them performing at a higher level than they have for most of their history.

Them getting relegated has far more to do with the strength of their squad than changing manager mid season.

It's just a side effect of the PL which hasn't existed for most of their history. 

If you managed to get in the PL just when the money went silly, as they did you've got a massive chance in fact a complete probability of coming back up again within 3 years due to the parachute payments. 

You've got so much more money than those around you it's easier to keep the bulk of your squad together and replace them with the best players from The Championship who would probably be your challengers. 

You wouldn't have that advantage in days gone by. You would go down and have no real advantage over the best teams around you. Probably lose your best players for not very much and struggle to buy anything as good. 

So it's not the chopping and changing of managers that's seen them have their best seasons, it's the PL money. 

Conversely teams who traditionally would have been bigger than Watford and spent more of their existence top flight can't even get a sniff because they can't compete. 

For Watford also see Fulham and Crystal Palace, 2 other teams who have zero top flight pedigree through most of their history. 

Edited by sidcow

3 hours ago, Xela said:

The ownership seem mental. Jokanovic got them promoted a few years back and got sacked straight away!. Gracia did well and was binned. Their managers this season have got progressively worse. 

They could get away with it in the early days due to the good quality of player they could sign from Udinese or Granada. Interesting how that's changed in recent times, now the likes of Delofeou go to Udinese and Watford get loads of cast offs from Italy instead.

Aside from Sarr, Dennis and that forward who scored some nice goals a few months ago it's a terrible squad when you look at it.

49 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Lost twice to these jokers. I mean it's why we are where we are. 

If we’d beaten them twice instead, Villa would be 6 points away from qualifying for Europe with 2 games in hand!

• Like 1

On 08/05/2022 at 08:16, Demitri_C said:

Yes, we saw the long, slow decline from a lack of stability and chopping and changing managers in a panic. It may work occasionally, but it certainly isn't a strategy

• Like 1

Â