Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/443141/EXCLUSIVE-Villa-prepare-15m-bid-Chelsea-Liverpool-target-Charlie-Austin

Villa boss Tim Sherwood has earmarked Austin as his first big signing should he lose star striker Christian Benteke.

Austin's 17-goals for relegated Rangers have put him on the brink of an England call-up.

The 25-year-old is expected to be named in Roy Hodgson's squad tomorrow for the games with Ireland and Slovenia.

And Sherwood sees Austin as the proven goalscorer to spearhead his Villa revolution should Benteke head for the exit door.

The £30m-rated Belgian is on Liverpool's radar with a host of other top clubs at home and abroad also expected to make a move.

Sherwood is desperate to hang on to 15-goal Benteke but knows he may be fighting a losing battle.

The player has made no secret of his desire to move to a bigger club and, with Villa up for sale, owner Randy Lerner could well give the green light to cash in.

Sherwood would then hope to persuade the American tycoon to re-invest a big part of the cash from Benteke's sale to bolster his squad.

He could double Austin's £28,000 a week wages without smashing Villa's pay structure and show a hefty profit into the bargain.

The capture of Austin would also appease unrest among fans should terrace favourite Benteke be prised away.

Austin has put all talks of a new contract on hold and has also put holiday plans on the back burner as he anticipates a busy summer.

Newcastle are also keen to land the former Burnley striker.

But a move to the North East is unlikely to appeal, even if the Geordies avoid the drop, given the on and off-field problems are threatening to tear the club apart.

Austin would also prefer to stay down south but without one of the capital's elite clubs coming in for him, Villa would appeal.

He's been one of Rangers' few success stories in a miserable season and has plundered almost half of their entire goal tally.

Only this week QPR director of football Les Ferdinand slapped a £20m price on his head and Villa would struggle to go that high.

But Rangers are in a perilous position as they face possible £58m fine by the Football League over failure to comply with financial fair play rules.

For me, a lot of it comes down to how important "Premier League experience" is.  I think I heard somewhere that, of the 40 richest clubs in Europe (might have even been the World), all of the current Premier League clubs are included.  The specific quote was that "Burnley are richer than Ajax".  This, inevitably, means you pay a premium when signing domestically because clubs simply don't need to let players go for 'small' amounts.

I'm not massively against signing Charlie Austin but, for a quoted £15m, I think you'd be able to get much better from abroad?

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 2

"Austin would also prefer to stay down south". So be it then.

With relegation, their money problems and a year left on his contract £10-£12m should be about the asking price. I wonder if he would be so happy to stay down South if it was Liverpool who wanted him rather than Ings for nothing?

I like the look of the player but he is no Benteke and this looks more like a deal for West Ham than for us.

I agree that Austin at £12m-£15m looks like a West Ham signing, but I don't think that'd be a bad thing. It's also a bit of a MON signing.. English, expensive, done it in the Prem (even if it's for one year).

We need that mix of proven (but overpriced) players and promise. If we go down the Kozak/ Helenius/ Benteke route for Benteke's replacement, then we could get another Benteke or we might get a Kozak/ Helenius. Obviously Helenius was a cheaper 'potential' player, but Kozak wasn't, and I wouldn't be too confident having Kozak (or a Kozak-type) as our replacement for Benteke.

For once, I think I'd just be happy with a calculated risk as opposed to an outright gamble.

With relegation, their money problems and a year left on his contract £10-£12m should be about the asking price. I wonder if he would be so happy to stay down South if it was Liverpool who wanted him rather than Ings for nothing?

I like the look of the player but he is no Benteke and this looks more like a deal for West Ham than for us.

I agree that Austin at £12m-£15m looks like a West Ham signing, but I don't think that'd be a bad thing. It's also a bit of a MON signing.. English, expensive, done it in the Prem (even if it's for one year).

We need that mix of proven (but overpriced) players and promise. If we go down the Kozak/ Helenius/ Benteke route for Benteke's replacement, then we could get another Benteke or we might get a Kozak/ Helenius. Obviously Helenius was a cheaper 'potential' player, but Kozak wasn't, and I wouldn't be too confident having Kozak (or a Kozak-type) as our replacement for Benteke.

For once, I think I'd just be happy with a calculated risk as opposed to an outright gamble.

Was 3 or 4 of them 17 goals not penalties?  I agree that with 15 mill you could get twice the player abroad. 

• Like 1

Was 3 or 4 of them 17 goals not penalties?  I agree that with 15 mill you could get twice the player abroad. 

You could also spend twice as much on a flop. Austin can score goals in the PL for the worst team in the league.

• Like 1

Jay Rodriguez got a bad injury so in his defence he was unable to repeat that. PLus Yakubu was a 12-15 goal a season striker

There is loads more examples Stephen Fletcher for Burnley gets 8, then moves to Wolves for £6.5m gets 22 goals over 2 seasons and moves to Sunderland for £12m, where after a red hot start he's managed 18 goals in the 3 seasons he has been there.

Michael Ricketts bangs in 12 for Bolton and gets an England call up and a £3.5m move to Middlesbrough where he gets 3 goals in the next 1.5 years.

Andy Johnson scores 21 in the Premier League for Palace gets a move to Everton worth £8.6m, he scores 17 in 61, then moves to Fulham where he scores 13 in 86.

Marlon Harewood once scored 14 goals in a season for West Ham, the next season he managed 3, before moving to us and scoring 5.

Peter Crouch managed 12 in a season for Southampton before getting a £7m move to Liverpool where he scored 8 the following season.

Mikael Forssell scored 17 for Blues one year before signing permanently and scoring 3 the next year.

James Beattie scored 23 for Southampton one year, 14 the next, then moved to Everton for £6m and scored 13 in 3 years.

To think we are even thinking about splashing £15m on this guy is insane for me. We might as well just wait for the next world cup and buy some one who has a great tournament.

• Like 2

I don't believe the article, it says we'll make the move should Benteke leave, Sherwood has already said that no one can afford him.

You actually believe him? It's to push up the price but clubs will be able to afford him.

Does he believe himself? I think he does. Didn't he call Benteke the best striker in europe recently, I think unless a team like Man City or Real Madrid come in and offer silly then Benteke won't be going anywhere.

It might not be his choice.

So the Daily Star says Benteke is £30m rated and that Ferdinand has slapped a £20m price tag on Austin's head. Jog on Les!  

Edited by John

So the Daily Star says Benteke is £30m rated and that Ferdinand has slapped a £20m price tag on Austin's head. Jog on Les!  

I think realistically £30m or there about is sadly all we can hope to get for Benteke (I rate him higher than that)

English players will always be a premium simply because teams like Man C, Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal... needs to add to their homegrown player quota.

That said £20m for Austin is a joke and will come down to £10m near the end of the transfer window when he's still there

Really think we should look at the the Marco van Ginkel Chelsea/Milan situation in the summer.

He'd be a perfect addition to our midfield.

Delph  Westwood  Cleverly

van Ginkel Grealish

Benteke

A'la Ancelotti at Milan

Could easily be changed by removing a CM and adding Sinclair on the flank and moving Grealish to the other flank

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

What does everyone here think of Wojciech Szczęsny of Arsenal? Rumours they will sell in summer and he is only 25 and can improve (See Fabianski since he went to Swansea)

Would he be a good option for potential new goalkeeper..

I have always rated him highly. Great shot stopper, just makes stupid errors at time. At one time I thought he was up there with De Gea as best young goalkeeper arouund

Extremely ambitious I know, but Nigel De Jong is on a free this summer.

If we get taken over by someone really rich he's the exact type of player i'd go for. Highly unlikely though

Dear God, no.

£15m for Austin would be good business but I'd guess that Qpr won't be in a hurry to sell and will hold out for as long as possible to get a bigger fee as clubs get more desperate. 

5 in 17 since Christmas and they want £15m, how is that good value.

Its QPR he's playing for