Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

I don't get all this fear about signing Spurs "rejects". It makes no sense. You can't go into it with that mindset, you have to take each potential deal in isolation. They aren't the same players. Just because we've had bad experiences in the past doesn't mean we shouldn't sign players from them. That would be stupid.

For the right deal, Adebayor would be a solid short term stop-gap should Benteke leave. Even if he stays, he could be good to have around as another option. The manager knows him and has shown he can get the best out of him. If they were to subsidise his wages a little, and if he was available for a reasonable transfer fee, I'd take him.

• Like 2

Aston Villa further boost to sign ex River Plate ace after talks

Cagliari News 24 have claimed today a move forTernana forward Felipe Avenatti to Cagliari is looking even more unlikely after a club official confirmed a deal will be difficult. The player did seem to be on his way to the Serie B a couple of weeks ago but talks have recently ground to a halt as we reported last week. These latest developments will give Aston Villa a boost after they held talks with the player’s agent last week.

According to Cagliari News 24 a deal to take the former River Plate striker to the Sardinian side is looking very complicated, and this has been backed up by one of the directors of the club. The director in question has revealed there are difficulties in sealing a deal for the Uruguayan which could allow Aston Villa to press ahead for the 22 year old.

We covered reports last week that Aston Villa had stepped up their pursuit for Avenatti and are currently in discussions with the player’s agent with regards to a move to England this summer. Last month the Premier League side registered their interested in the 22 year old striker but face competition from Leeds United and Cagliari. However, it now seems Aston Villa are looking to get ahead of their rivals by opening talks with his representatives and the youngster is expected to leave Ternana this summer in order to progress in his career.

I'm confused...

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/aston-villa-further-boost-to-sign-ex-river-plate-ace-after-talks

Lord knows. We were linked by the metro it seems!

His youtube video starts with a few clips of him failing to convert chances. 

I thought that was the Turkish striker?

I like Townsend as a player, if we signed him he'd be one of our best players.

Agree, he was fantastic when on loan with QPR, probably the biggest reason they stayed up. He's still young, has terrific pace, isn't afraid to take players on and can shoot with either foot. I think he would prosper under Sherwood. Hope we sign him!

Erm, didn't they finish bottom and get relegated, during his time there on loan? For the record, I think he's better than what we have in that area (Bacuna / N'Zogbia etc), so would take him in a heartbeat, if he's not going to take up too much of our budget.

Tim knows him better than anyone. Certainly better than anyone here. That's not to say that he wants to sign him, but IF he does then I'll trust his judgement. Context is important, if a deal were to happen. As a replacement to Benteke potentially leaving then it's a poor move. As an extra striking option, if the manager can get him firing then he'll add another dimension to our squad.

As someone pointed out, the extra revenue for finishing a place higher is huge these days. If Adebayor came here, I'm sure it would be a subsidised deal. If Tim can get a few goals out of him then bring him in. It will pay for itself, irrespective of lack of resale value.

We're not exactly blessed with goals, but we've become so conditioned on finances over the last few years. One of the first things discussed about any potential new recruit is his salary and fee, but the income from the TV rights these days should allow us to take a few more risks, providing it's alongside adding proven quality.

When clubs like Stoke and Watford are dishing out £50k per week contracts, it seems alien to us Villa fans, but this is the price of the Premier League and the salary of bang average players these days.

• Like 1

Tim knows him better than anyone. Certainly better than anyone here. That's not to say that he wants to sign him, but IF he does then I'll trust his judgement. Context is important, if a deal were to happen. As a replacement to Benteke potentially leaving then it's a poor move. As an extra striking option, if the manager can get him firing then he'll add another dimension to our squad.

As someone pointed out, the extra revenue for finishing a place higher is huge these days. If Adebayor came here, I'm sure it would be a subsidised deal. If Tim can get a few goals out of him then bring him in. It will pay for itself, irrespective of lack of resale value.

We're not exactly blessed with goals, but we've become so conditioned on finances over the last few years. One of the first things discussed about any potential new recruit is his salary and fee, but the income from the TV rights these days should allow us to take a few more risks, providing it's alongside adding proven quality.

When clubs like Stoke and Watford are dishing out £50k per week contracts, it seems alien to us Villa fans, but this is the price of the Premier League and the salary of bang average players these days.

I thought the new, awesome TV deal kicked in next season?  (i.e: 2016/17)

I think we need another 5 players minimum

We need to start releasing players then, currently we have 26 players over 21.

Hmm. That is a problem.

Have you included Herd in this? N'Zogbia is one i'd like to see go but I can't see him leaving.

Benteke will most likely leave but we will buy replacements.

have a feeling Cissokho/Senderos will be moved on.

The numbers we have need to be reduced but at the same time we need to get quality in.

I thought the new, awesome TV deal kicked in next season?  (i.e: 2016/17)

it does, in effect most lower prem teams will spend that money in anticipation or in an attempt to stay up, id guess the january transfer window will be worse but teams will start to gamble with the money they havent got yet

id expect once the dust has settled 15/16 teams will have spent £20m+ this summer us included

Linked to Ayew now with a few other sides

He gone to Swansea already

Different Ayew

Jordan Ayew? Or is there another one somewhere?

He couldn't make it Marseille and I doubt he would in the Premier League.

How many more players do we think we realistically need? I think we only need another three personally (left back, forward, winger)

I would say a lot depends on what target we're trying to hit.

To stay up? Mid table? Top half finish?