The Hillsborough inquest

BOF

Was there any behaviour on the part of the football supporters which may have caused or contributed to the dangerous situation at the Leppings Lane turnstiles? Yes or no.

No.

• Like 4

Hopefully this is the start of the end. The families of the 96 have never given up their fight for justice, and at long last they seem to be heading towards some closure. I've nothing but respect for those who have kept this campaign going, and hope that this shows they were vindicated.

• Like 4

As a tiny side issue, it'd be nice if a few of the people who've posted in this thread and elsewhere looked back at what they wrote and now took a private moment to reconsider.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, blandy said:

As a tiny side issue, it'd be nice if a few of the people who've posted in this thread and elsewhere looked back at what they wrote and now took a private moment to reconsider.

Hear, hear. The lies have been disproven. The families who pursued the truth against the odds and were often vilified by supporters of other clubs should be greatly admired. 

• Like 1

And Boris Johnson

The deaths of more than 50 Liverpool football supporters at Hillsborough in 1989 was undeniably a greater tragedy than the single death, however horrible, of Mr Bigley; but that is no excuse for Liverpool’s failure to acknowledge, even to this day, the part played in the disaster by drunken fans at the back of the crowd who mindlessly tried to fight their way into the ground that Saturday afternoon. The police became a convenient scapegoat, and the Sun newspaper a whipping-boy for daring, albeit in a tasteless fashion, to hint at the wider causes of the incident.

He later apologised.

• Like 1

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/apr/26/hillsborough-disaster-deadly-mistakes-and-lies-that-lasted-decades

Really worth reading the full article - the extract below is just a tiny part of it

...Duckenfield had arrived at the converted courtroom in Warrington with traces of his former authority, but over seven airless, agonisingly tense days in the witness box last March, he was steadily worn down, surrendering slowly into a crumpled heap. From his concession that he had inadequate experience to oversee the safety of 54,000 people, to finally accepting responsibility for the deaths, Duckenfield’s admissions were shockingly complete.

He also admitted at the inquests that even as the event was descending into horror and death, he had infamously lied, telling Graham Kelly, then secretary of the Football Association, that Liverpool fans were to blame, for gaining unauthorised entry through a large exit gate. Duckenfield had in fact himself ordered the gate to be opened, to relieve a crush in the bottleneck approach to the Leppings Lane turnstiles.

5 minutes ago, maqroll said:

So does this open up any possibility of Duckenfield being prosecuted? 

Well the police knew there were problems with that stadium and had a crowd management plan for it that they had used in previous years. 

Duckenfield did not bother with implementing it and then compounded his error by ordering an exit gate to be opened. 

It sounds like he had no idea what he was doing to the point of criminal negligence. 

The lies and coverup afterwards was just the icing on the cake. 

He also had no idea about football, and how to police a match, let alone an FA Cup semifinal. Whoever gave the ok for him to lead the cavalry that day should be held to account as well. 

Fair play they got the verdict finally.

I will always have deepest sympathy for the fans who didn't come back home and the families who were waiting for there loved ones.  But it bothers me they forget about the terrible scenes in Belgium that got us banned for 6 years.

Other than both incidents involving fans of the same football club, one has nothing to do with the other. I respect everyone's right to have their opinion (even though I did, and still do feel very strongly opposed to many of the views expressed in this thread, before the inquest), but I don't see why you even needed to bring it up. 

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Fair play they got the verdict finally.

I will always have deepest sympathy for the fans who didn't come back home and the families who were waiting for there loved ones.  But it bothers me they forget about the terrible scenes in Belgium that got us banned for 6 years.

Who forgets about it?

34 people were arrested, 26 charged and 14 convicted of manslaughter because of what happened at Heysel.

Those responsible were dealt with accordingly, which is precisely what the Hillsborough campaigners have been asking for for the last 27 years.

I'm not actually sure I'd it ticks the positive or not but hopefully this is thestart of safe standing and maybe even the end of away fans being second class citizens

I doubt it, policing that day is confirmed to be wrong, would you honestly say th policing well experience this weekend will be right?

The incident had a huge impact on football hopefully these findings will too 

Â