The Hillsborough inquest

BOF

Manslaughter trial of Hillsborough police chief begins

Almost 30 years after 96 people were killed at the FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest at Sheffield Wednesday’s Hillsborough football ground, the police officer who was in command of the match, David Duckenfield, will on Monday stand trial on a criminal charge of gross negligence manslaughter.

Graham Mackrell, the Sheffield Wednesday club secretary and safety officer at the time the disaster happened, will stand trial alongside Duckenfield, on two counts of breaching his duties under safety legislation.

The trial at Preston crown court, which will be presided over by the judge Sir Peter Openshaw, is scheduled to last four months, due to conclude in May.

... more on link

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, hippo said:

Quite surprised they couldn't reach a verdict - not even a majority one.

Will they get the retrial they are after   ? 

At least one of the family members was vox popped on the radio, saying he didn't want to go through the pain of a retrial. 

46 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

At least one of the family members was vox popped on the radio, saying he didn't want to go through the pain of a retrial. 

Big call I suppose - I can understand they want justice, but looking on from afar it would seem a series of events were to blame - not just the actions of one man making a split second decision.

I used to know someone who was at that game who paints quite a different picture of pre match - there was quite a few problems before kick off.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hillsborough: David Duckenfield found not guilty of manslaughter

The former South Yorkshire police chief superintendent David Duckenfield has been found not guilty of gross negligence manslaughter more than 30 years after he commanded the police at the 1989 FA Cup semi-final at Hillsborough between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest, at which 96 people died.

The verdict came in a retrial that began on 7 October. A first trial on the same charge, heard by the same judge, Sir Peter Openshaw, ended on 3 April with the jury unable to reach a verdict. Duckenfield was charged in June 2017 following a new police investigation into the disaster, Operation Resolve, and verdicts of unlawful killing returned by the jury at the 2014-16 inquests in Warrington.

...more

55 minutes ago, hippo said:

Couldn't see why it went to retrail to be honest

Because the jury couldn't reach a verdict in the first trial, the CPS applied for a new trial and the judge ruled that he ought to face a retrial?

Edited by snowychap

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think the need to blame someone has taken over everything in this instance.

Of course it was tragic, of course there were no doubt mistakes made (as there are with the vast majority of tragedies) but what does trying to pin it all on one person achieve?

I don’t know if it was about ‘pinning it all on one person’ but if people in position’s of authority had acted negligently and people are killed it is right they face their day in court. 

Where would we be as a society if we threw our hands up and said ‘it’s all too hard’ when a complex set of events leads to a significant tragedy occurring? 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I don’t know if it was about ‘pinning it all on one person’ but if people in position’s of authority had acted negligently and people are killed it is right they face their day in court. 

Where would we be as a society if we threw our hands up and said ‘it’s all too hard’ when a complex set of events leads to a significant tragedy occurring? 

Maybe man, I just find the blame (and often, subsequent compensation proceedings) game tedious sometimes, without wanting to trivialise an awful event.

No amount of blame or admittance of neglect will bring these people back, it’s almost as much of a tragedy that not only did it take the lives of those present but also has now taken up a lot of the lives of those campaigning for ‘justice’.

I am front and centre on seeing police reprimanded for mistakes but I just think that sometimes there are accidents, however awful the impact may be but they remain as that, accidents.

Im sure I’d have a different view if it was me or mine affected, easy to be objective sitting from afar I know.

25 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I get that, I know a legal process has identified that mistakes occurred.

How that then forms a judgement on individuals is where we perhaps differ in opinion.

No, it didn't just 'identify that mistakes occurred', the jury found that they were unlawfully killed.

Still, blather on about 'accidents' and these things 'remaining as that' if you want.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, snowychap said:

No, it didn't just 'identify that mistakes occurred', the jury found that they were unlawfully killed.

Still, blather on about 'accidents' and these things 'remaining as that' if you want.

Okay cool, not going to get into it with you because it's obviously distasteful.

I have my opinion(s) but will keep them to myself now.

Â