Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

6 hours ago, Genie said:

Putting my GB faux pas to one side, it’s weird how different the Island of Ireland looks in that image to what it looks like on google maps.

The image shows a lighthouse on its southern coast, which is still NI?

Geez, I thought it was just us yanks who made mistakes with UK, GB, England.   I won't feel so bad the next time I tell people in Wales that it's great to be back in England!

Edited by il_serpente
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Never really realised how big the Isle of Man is.

Has this been image been ‘corrected’ by the Apollo mission?

Also proves that stonehenge is in fact somewhere in Scotland between Dumfries and Edinburgh.

Edited by bielesibub
  • Like 1

There’s another version of this map out there sonewhere where the lighthouses are all animated to represent their actual individual light signals. I’ve tried to locate it but alas cannot find it but I did find this

A zoomable lighthouse map of the world

https://geodienst.github.io/lighthousemap/

Which attempts the same thing but isn’t the one I was thinking of

16 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Geez, I thought it was just us yanks who made mistakes with UK, GB, England.   I won't feel so bad the next time I tell people in Wales that it's great to be back in England!

A lot of Britain has a frankly scary blindspot towards Northern Ireland. One they themselves are largely not aware of. We see it over here, as and when it manifests. But they largely don't (which is why it's a blindspot I guess).

My favourite Britain-related thing to do over here in Ireland before I'm visiting is to say "I'm going over to the mainland". That REALLY pisses the right kind of people off. Then you get the Brits who unironically still call it the mainland as well :lol: 🤦‍♂️

So no, it is definitely not just yanks who make GB/UK/England/Ireland related mistakes. And that's not even getting into the new 'is NI still in the EU/land borders' nightmare, which technically isn't even resolved yet.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’m struggling with how that Wrexham map came to be. There’s seemingly no rhyme nor reason as to which clubs they’ve included. At the very least they must know which are other Welsh clubs. Maybe they’re deliberately trying to wind Cardiff up by putting them in Taunton. 

If I was being ultra cynical I’d say that was a little bit of silly viral marketing they’ve made us a take part in. But I’m not sure the show needs that exposure and there must be better ways of doing so if they wanted to.

• Like 1

Â