Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

8 minutes ago, Danwichmann said:

Beef/Yak is not the most popular meet in Nepal. It's about 80% Hindu so beef is only available in a few tourist places and Yak meet is only in the sparsely populated mountains. Buffalo is fairly widely eaten so maybe they are including that as beef or yak. 

Yeah chicken is about 46% of the market share in Nepal , buffalo around 33% then goat 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Yeah chicken is about 46% of the market share in Nepal , buffalo around 33% then goat 

That seems about right. The goat there is absolutely vile, you either get a lump of fat or a bit of old leather. Either way you have to chew on for 20 minutes before swallowing (or subtly pass it to the dog) 

8 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

So do Hindus consider buffalo to be totally different from cows? 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

reading into it , In Nepal they have a Hindu festival called the Gadhimai festival every 5 years where they slaughter  buffalo  , pigs, goats, chickens .. but not cows 

In some Indian states where  cow slaughter is banned, cows are often slaughtered illegally and their meat sold as buffalo. !! 

so , i guess the answer is yes 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Yeah, my Hindu wife has never quite managed to explain the logic of it to me, but suggesting eating beef has her reacting the same way most people would to eating cat, but buffalo is fine apparently. 

9 minutes ago, Danwichmann said:

suggesting eating beef has her reacting the same way most people would to eating cat

Cats. One is never enough.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Genie said:

Does anybody recognise this place from 1955?

F86-D5294-EAC7-4701-980-F-CA1-C99929126.

Reveal hidden contents

Digbeth High Street apparently, I’m not familiar enough with the area to verify

Yep, Digbeth, looking up towards the Bull Ring markets (no Rotunda at that date). Midland Red bus station and St Martins on the left of the picture. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yep, Digbeth, looking up towards the Bull Ring markets (no Rotunda at that date). Midland Red bus station and St Martins on the left of the picture. 

Yeah, taken pretty much from opposite the Barfly/O2 whatever it's called now I reckon (which presumably wasn't a music venue back then?)

On 24/03/2023 at 12:55, Genie said:

Does anybody recognise this place from 1955?

F86-D5294-EAC7-4701-980-F-CA1-C99929126.

Reveal hidden contents

Digbeth High Street apparently, I’m not familiar enough with the area to verify

Definitely digbeth high street looking towards the city centre 

Edited by theboyangel

Â