The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Can't we just forget he ever had anything to do with the club?

It's probably an indication of how poor we have been as a club but in the last 5 years, my best memories as a Villa fan were mainly down to Sherwood in charge, in the short spell after he took over and got us to the FA Cup Final.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

We were terrible because he remains the worst manager we've ever had.

I dont care if he was just a caretaker but Eric Black was still one of the biggest poisons ever at the club

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Almost 900 pages and still counting

I agree it is madness. He was here for such a short amount time in our history he is pretty much an irrelevance. I come at this from the angle though where I place little blame on him for our relegation. He was very much a bit part player along with many others. A man who had never purchased a player should never have been in the position of having to overhaul a squad of players that had lost its four best players from the previous season where the club had again narrowly avoided relegation. Fifty odd mill to rebuild that squad was always a tough ask but in the hands of such an inexperienced manager along with incompetent fools like Reilly, and both singing from different hymn sheets, was never going to end well.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I agree it is madness. He was here for such a short amount time in our history he is pretty much an irrelevance. I come at this from the angle though where I place little blame on him for our relegation. He was very much a bit part player along with many others. A man who had never purchased a player should never have been in the position of having to overhaul a squad of players that had lost its four best players from the previous season where the club had again narrowly avoided relegation. Fifty odd mill to rebuild that squad was always a tough ask but in the hands of such an inexperienced manager along with incompetent fools like Reilly, and both signing from different hymn sheets, was never going to end well.

I agree with a lot of what you post.

And I'm not at you as an example.

But!

I can get passed the fact that (imho) RL shot himself in the foot continually by pulling the financial plug. A sinking ship full of holes with an endless supply of cost cutting band aid at the managers disposal.

At 1st under GH and the McLoser it wasnt so apparant.

Looking back, Lambert was the Patsie. He'll probably never get any credit for doing the impossible by keeping us up as long as he did, as all those bad records he broke will be his marker. He was a well and truly broken man by the time we lost to Hull. However, he has enough money to build a Spa and health center just for himself.

Sherwood had a number of things in his favour.

1) we couldnt get any worse.

2) The relief of the players & fans that there was some hope now PL was gone must have been enormous.

3) Benteke, Cleverley & Delph all playing for moves

TS had nothing to lose as we were as good as down.

I can only presume the lineups he sent out against Liverpool (FAcup semi) & Leicester (last season) were our best at those particular times.

Its my opinion that once Reilly brought in the new players and he was talked out of his ex Spurs favs he was only saving face saying they were his choices. (lets not forget he renegaded on this once it all didnt come off).

He knew PL had offered his resignation but was offered a new contract.

He also knew that once we'd hit the relegation places PL was as good as sacked and compensated.

This is why I believe TS deliberately nose-dived us to the bottom of the league.

He had NO connection to Villa. Is a cockney-wide-boy who probably never wanted to leave Laaaandan.

So how do you get out of a job in Brum at AVFC with a payoff?

Answer : Take em to the bottom of the league ASAP.

I believe he did it intentionally with his scatterbrain tactics, lineups & subs. He went back on previous statements and admitted that he was trying different lineups till something clicked.

He is not a football manager. He's a Chancer, a Charlatan and he knows it. he also checks how the media works and what to say exactly when. (ref: 'Arry - the Laaandan media slags lav im)

From where he took us to and how he destroyed the squads mentality ensured we were down. Nobody but a naive Garde would touch us with a barge-pole. TS insured that.

That it cost him a few grey hairs, the odd wrinkle and a shellshocked look was probably worth it.

He'll never manage a top club or England (not a top club). so as much as he knows 'he's not for football as a manager' he definately knows that 'Football management' is "naaaa nat faw mey"

So now he can be a DoF at Swindon and blag his was through as a media pundit. All he has to do is not lose his accent.

I think he's as big a blagger as Arry, only arry could manage to a certain degree.

I think he chanced, got burned, reacted, then did a runner out of here as best and fast as he could with a wad.

2 things are for sure

1) We'll never know for sure as he's silenced.

2) he'll play the popularity card "fans were great"

The only thing he's 100% right with is that the Villa fans are great.

Sherwood said himself after 2 months with working with squad "I don't know what my best team is"

no idea about tactics; no idea about training, no idea about anything really.

he turned up, motivated a few players and kept us up, that semi final win over Liverpool was brilliant but the final 4-0 defeat was embarrassing.

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Suggesting he did as badly as he did deliberately suggests he, at some point, knew what the **** he was doing. 

Sorry but I don't buy that. 

We were terrible because he remains the worst manager we've ever had.

Forgetting di Matteo then? He was hands down the worst for me

24 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

Sherwood said himself after 2 months with working with squad "I don't know what my best team is"

I watched that squad all last season and I still dont know what the best team was

Tim Sherwood - 28 games with 10 wins, 2 draws and 16 defeats (win 35.7%)

Remi Garde - 23 games with 3 wins, 7 draws and 13 defeats (win 13.0%)

Eric Black - 7 games with 0 wins, 1 draw and 6 defeats (win 0%)

Roberto Di Matteo - 12 games with 1 win, 7 draws and 4 defeats (win 8.3%)

All numbers from Wikipedia so could be completely wrong!

• Like 2

Kept us up and got to an fa cup final. How that proves he was a worse manager than RDM, Black and Garde, I'll never know. Also didn't do too badly at spurs. 

He also had around a 10 game terrible period, nothing like the 2 and a half years where Lambert cemented our unstoppable losing mentality within the club. 

He's shit, really shit. But no way I'd say he's the worst. 

23 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Kept us up and got to an fa cup final. How that proves he was a worse manager than RDM, Black and Garde, I'll never know. Also didn't do too badly at spurs. 

He also had around a 10 game terrible period, nothing like the 2 and a half years where Lambert cemented our unstoppable losing mentality within the club. 

He's shit, really shit. But no way I'd say he's the worst. 

There's a reason why Lambert lasted 2.5 years and Sherwood didn't. 

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

There's a reason why Lambert lasted 2.5 years and Sherwood didn't. 

Well he didn't inherit a losing team like Sherwood did, makes it easier to survive when it's not already a team on a complete downward spiral. 

Lambert is probably the better manager but he caused much more damage than Sherwood did at this club. Lambert was a significant reason we are in the championship. 

4 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Lambert > Sherwood everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

As a villa fan, nothing Lambert did could match the enjoyment of that semi final. 

I probably enjoyed a few months under Sherwood more than any period under that loser. 

• Like 1

Â