The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

I had a look on twitter and Lerner is getting stick with lots of people saying a change of manager won't matter which is such bollox. Fair enough if Sherwood was working on a similar budget to Lambert but he's not and has been backed so takes all the blame despite trying his best to push it onto anyone but himself. Lambert signed the players required to keep us up at the very least while Sherwood goes and signs Lescott and Gestede...

I don't think it's completely rubbish to have that opinion. We've been utter garbage under four different managers now.

What can Lerner do? He was vilified for handing O'Neill too much money - he's certainly addressed that. He's been vilified for handing managers too much control of the squad. He's addressed that. He's been vilified for not having any football people around him to help him make decisions - he's addressed that. He's been vilified for his choice of managers - he's brought in people qualified to make those decisions on his behalf. He's desperate to get rid of the club and get something back to cover a fraction of the millions he's wasted. He currently doesn't seem to have any influence not he running of the club other than how much money to put into it.

Does all the hyperbole about Villa being rotten to the core just come down to 'Randy needs to throw more money at it'? He's seems to eventually do everything that people on here demand of him (other than leave).

• Like 3

Basically called the players crap in this.  You cant come back from saying things like this.  He is def looking sacked.

Sherwood maintained that he will keep Villa in the Premier League but his comments about the ability level of the players felt telling. “We can’t do any more as coaches and managers, we’re working as hard as we can, and the players can’t do more regarding effort. They can only give us what they can give us, we can’t turn them into superstars.”

I had a look on twitter and Lerner is getting stick with lots of people saying a change of manager won't matter which is such bollox. Fair enough if Sherwood was working on a similar budget to Lambert but he's not and has been backed so takes all the blame despite trying his best to push it onto anyone but himself. Lambert signed the players required to keep us up at the very least while Sherwood goes and signs Lescott and Gestede...

I don't think it's completely rubbish to have that opinion. We've been utter garbage under four different managers now.

What can Lerner do? He was vilified for handing O'Neill too much money - he's certainly addressed that. He's been vilified for handing managers too much control of the squad. He's addressed that. He's been vilified for not having any football people around him to help him make decisions - he's addressed that. He's been vilified for his choice of managers - he's brought in people qualified to make those decisions on his behalf. He's desperate to get rid of the club and get something back to cover a fraction of the millions he's wasted. He currently doesn't seem to have any influence not he running of the club other than how much money to put into it.

Does all the hyperbole about Villa being rotten to the core just come down to 'Randy needs to throw more money at it'? He's seems to eventually do everything that people on here demand of him (other than leave).

he must just be unlucky then. You've ignored an awful lot of what he's done to somehow argue that he's addressed key issues.

john Percy 2 weeks ago said 2defeats would be the end of Tim, tonight he's saying nothing has been decided & fox will discuss it with randy over the weekend. Journalism at its finest.

EsAoN.gif

• Like 4

john Percy 2 weeks ago said 2defeats would be the end of Tim, tonight he's saying nothing has been decided & fox will discuss it with randy over the weekend. Journalism at its finest.

Must be really proud of his career accomplishments to date. That's a piece to really show to the Grandchildren. 

• Like 1

http://www.football365.com/news/end-of-the-road-for-sherwood-at-aston-villa

End of the road for Sherwood at Aston Villa

Date published: Saturday 24th October 2015 5:44

Tim Sherwood Aston Villa Football365

“I am telling the players it’s a must-win because we need to win a game sooner or later. This is a cup final. Forget Wembley last season, this is a cup final.”

Considering Aston Villa whimpered to a 4-0 defeat in their last cup final in May, Tim Sherwood’s latest missive was perhaps the most ill-advised yet. Packaged as a “must-win” game against Swansea, Villa looked just as lifeless and listless as they had in their previous eight Premier League games. It is now nine league games without victory.

After an insipid first half, it appeared as though a rousing half-time Timmy team-talk had inspired his players. Jordan Ayew, signed by Sherwood for £10million in the summer, stooped to head home and Villa Park erupted with relief.

It was a relief that lasted six minutes. Gylfi Sigurdsson fired home a free-kick soon after, and Andre Ayew crowned another defeat for Sherwood, his 16th – and surely last – in 28 games with three minutes remaining.

Sherwood boasted of a fully-fit squad before the game, a statement which prompted yet more questions as soon as his starting line-up for a “must-win” game was announced.

Alan Hutton, Micah Richards, Joleon Lescott and Kieran Richardson should not have formed a Premier League defence eight years ago, never mind in 2015. Gabby Agbonlahor should not still feature in top-flight games, never mind start them. Villa’s best player in Carles Gil remains on the bench. Rudy Gestede – a man backed by Sherwood as the best header in English football – is fielded, but with no wingers on the pitch. A litany of mistakes, and that was before kick-off.

Bear in mind this is a side who spent more than every other Premier League club aside from Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City and Manchester United this summer. The problems at Villa run as deep as they do high in the infrastructure, but that no longer excuses Sherwood’s clear unsuitability not only for the Villa job, but for any managerial post currently.

“That’s my job as a manager to take that responsibility. I’m not in the background, am I? I’m the manager, I get paid to stand at the front and take it on the chin and that’s what I’m doing.”

Now shackled by a win percentage of just 35% at Villa Park, this appears to be Sherwood’s last defence. He is a Football Man, willing to ‘front up’ and, as the leadership cliches pour out of his mouth, “take it on the chin”.

The thing is, no-one has ever doubted Sherwood’s determination. The issue is that he simply isn’t a Premier League manager; he’s a barely a Football League one.

As speculation concerning his job mounted throughout the week, Sherwood delivered a 427th embattled message: “I’m easy with it. My job doesn’t change. I still need to win a football match which I’m aware of. I’ll be taking full responsibility for the team’s performance and we’ll win tomorrow.”

Sherwood will surely therefore take “full responsibility” for his side having less shots than their opponents, less passing accuracy than their opponents, less passes than their opponents and less possession than their opponents. Oh, and less goals for their opponents.

This, after all, was a Swansea side who had not tasted victory of any kind since August. Only two sides have been on a worse run of form that Garry Monk’s men: 19th-placed Villa and rock-bottom Sunderland. If the Black Cats extend their Wear-Tyne winning run over Newcastle on Sunday, Villa replace them at the foot of the table.

Adamant war cries of “we’ll win tomorrow” are all well and good, and a clear staple of the Sherwood management theory. This does quite the disservice to Brendan Rodgers, but they are bosses built in a similar mould. Few are better equipped to lead a confident side in the midst of a good run of form, but both struggle to ignite that form in the first place.

Nick Miller asked a fortnight ago not only whether Sherwood was a good manager, but whether he was even a manager at all. What is clear is that at some point he has to back up the bluster. All signs suggest that he can’t.

“Am I going to be in the job next week? I’m not the person to ask. I feel like the club is in a hole,” Sherwood added after the game. What he fails to see is that he is the one holding the shovel.

Another journalist who doesn't know the difference between less and fewer. Basic English!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it's fine to use less in that context, it doesn't follow the 'rule' but the rule is bollocks.

Surely  Fox can see from a business point of view that it's not sensible to keep him? 

It is indeed bollocks, nice to see someone stand up to prescriptivist nonsense. 

However, when the writer says 'Oh, and less goals for their opponents', he clearly meant 'than' instead of 'for', so the writer did make a mistake. 

• Like 1

Sherwood has to go but whatever happens we are going DOWN. It is **** heartbreaking that the club has been so badly run into the ground. Lerner our "custodian" should hang his **** head in shame!

It took me four hours to get VP today for that shite and have just got home after another shite journey. Another 11 hours of my life totally wasted!

We are at our lowest ebb in over 30 years and I cannot see any way we can stay up. These really are very dark days for Aston Villa and there is no light at the end of the tunnel :-(

Apart from the very few chanting "We want Sherwood Out" Villa fans are broken and totally apathetic. 

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 1

I don't know what to say at the moment.

It's all very strange to me, we actually don't seem to play that bad. We aren't getting hammered, we create some chances, we should attack better but we seem to defend pretty well at times. You can just feel an error could come at any moment, we are losing games by 1 goal (apart from Chelsea). 

The line ups are strange, we may as well just go for it now. Put on the attacking full backs, change the striker etc. I can't defend the line ups I don't understand them. It's like we never really fix the issues Tim's trying to address, if they don't work one week try a completely new formation/player, doesn't seem to be working.

I think one thing is clear though, Benteke was worth 60m to us, 30m doesn't touch the surface of what is required to bring in the players capable of replacing his performances and what he offered the team. He's made this team look way better than it should have.

Tommo even said on SSN today that we deserved a point. I look at the fixtures list each season and see who we can beat, a few season back I thought, Crystal Palace, West Ham, Swansea, Southampton, Stoke should be games we win at home, we are way behind them now in terms of squad quality, each season there are becoming less and less teams that are worse than us, which will only lead to one thing.

• Like 1

Sherwood has to go but whatever happens we are going DOWN. It is **** heartbreaking that the club has so badly run into the ground. Lerner our "custodian" should hang his **** head in shame!

It took me four hours to get VP today for that shite and have just got home after another shite journey. Another 11 hours of my life totally wasted!

We are at our lowest ebb in over 30 years and I cannot see any way we can stay up. These really are very dark days for Aston Villa and there is no light at the end of the tunnel :-(

Is the club being wound up soon? Must've missed that one.

• Like 1

Same here. Maybe Sunday noonish.

Will we have a caretaker??????

I'd let Kevin MacDonald take charge against Southampton.

memories of Newcastle game all over again

though Lerner seemed to want hire McDonald when MON left wonder what chance he would have of taking over

Same here. Maybe Sunday noonish.

Will we have a caretaker??????

I'd let Kevin MacDonald take charge against Southampton.

memories of Newcastle game all over again

though Lerner seemed to want hire McDonald when MON left wonder what chance he would have of taking over

It's a cup game. No point giving it to Sherwood. MacDonald will suffice for that game whilst the search for a new manager is going on ready for the weekend.

Sherwood has to go but whatever happens we are going DOWN. It is **** heartbreaking that the club has so badly run into the ground. Lerner our "custodian" should hang his **** head in shame!

Is the club being wound up soon? Must've missed that one.

go and wind someone else up pal

After the final whistle I was so sure he'd be sacked I'm almost surprised there hasn't been an announcement yet. 

Just do it, ffs. There is no point in keeping us waiting. KMac and Sid can't possibly do any worse while we're looking for a replacement anyway. 

Â