The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

http://www.football365.com/news/end-of-the-road-for-sherwood-at-aston-villa

End of the road for Sherwood at Aston Villa

Date published: Saturday 24th October 2015 5:44

Tim Sherwood Aston Villa Football365

“I am telling the players it’s a must-win because we need to win a game sooner or later. This is a cup final. Forget Wembley last season, this is a cup final.”

Considering Aston Villa whimpered to a 4-0 defeat in their last cup final in May, Tim Sherwood’s latest missive was perhaps the most ill-advised yet. Packaged as a “must-win” game against Swansea, Villa looked just as lifeless and listless as they had in their previous eight Premier League games. It is now nine league games without victory.

After an insipid first half, it appeared as though a rousing half-time Timmy team-talk had inspired his players. Jordan Ayew, signed by Sherwood for £10million in the summer, stooped to head home and Villa Park erupted with relief.

It was a relief that lasted six minutes. Gylfi Sigurdsson fired home a free-kick soon after, and Andre Ayew crowned another defeat for Sherwood, his 16th – and surely last – in 28 games with three minutes remaining.

Sherwood boasted of a fully-fit squad before the game, a statement which prompted yet more questions as soon as his starting line-up for a “must-win” game was announced.

Alan Hutton, Micah Richards, Joleon Lescott and Kieran Richardson should not have formed a Premier League defence eight years ago, never mind in 2015. Gabby Agbonlahor should not still feature in top-flight games, never mind start them. Villa’s best player in Carles Gil remains on the bench. Rudy Gestede – a man backed by Sherwood as the best header in English football – is fielded, but with no wingers on the pitch. A litany of mistakes, and that was before kick-off.

Bear in mind this is a side who spent more than every other Premier League club aside from Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City and Manchester United this summer. The problems at Villa run as deep as they do high in the infrastructure, but that no longer excuses Sherwood’s clear unsuitability not only for the Villa job, but for any managerial post currently.

“That’s my job as a manager to take that responsibility. I’m not in the background, am I? I’m the manager, I get paid to stand at the front and take it on the chin and that’s what I’m doing.”

Now shackled by a win percentage of just 35% at Villa Park, this appears to be Sherwood’s last defence. He is a Football Man, willing to ‘front up’ and, as the leadership cliches pour out of his mouth, “take it on the chin”.

The thing is, no-one has ever doubted Sherwood’s determination. The issue is that he simply isn’t a Premier League manager; he’s a barely a Football League one.

As speculation concerning his job mounted throughout the week, Sherwood delivered a 427th embattled message: “I’m easy with it. My job doesn’t change. I still need to win a football match which I’m aware of. I’ll be taking full responsibility for the team’s performance and we’ll win tomorrow.”

Sherwood will surely therefore take “full responsibility” for his side having less shots than their opponents, less passing accuracy than their opponents, less passes than their opponents and less possession than their opponents. Oh, and less goals for their opponents.

This, after all, was a Swansea side who had not tasted victory of any kind since August. Only two sides have been on a worse run of form that Garry Monk’s men: 19th-placed Villa and rock-bottom Sunderland. If the Black Cats extend their Wear-Tyne winning run over Newcastle on Sunday, Villa replace them at the foot of the table.

Adamant war cries of “we’ll win tomorrow” are all well and good, and a clear staple of the Sherwood management theory. This does quite the disservice to Brendan Rodgers, but they are bosses built in a similar mould. Few are better equipped to lead a confident side in the midst of a good run of form, but both struggle to ignite that form in the first place.

Nick Miller asked a fortnight ago not only whether Sherwood was a good manager, but whether he was even a manager at all. What is clear is that at some point he has to back up the bluster. All signs suggest that he can’t.

“Am I going to be in the job next week? I’m not the person to ask. I feel like the club is in a hole,” Sherwood added after the game. What he fails to see is that he is the one holding the shovel.

Another journalist who doesn't know the difference between less and fewer. Basic English!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Stuart James from The Guardian claims a decision will be made in the next 24 hours.

Tim Sherwood has vowed to fight on as manager but his position appears desperately bleak and close to untenable

on the back of a sixth successive Premier League defeat,

with the Aston Villa board expected to make a decision on his future within the next 24 hours.

24 Hours..

Edited by dudevillaisnice

Why has he not been sacked yet? Even allowing him to talk about another game is just frightening. He is useless. Honestly worse than Lambert and Mcleish in my opinion.

... Oh and this is just laughable

Just hope you're not forced to repeat this in January when we have our new manager and we're still in the hole. 

There is absolutely no chance that Sherwood will remain in his position. The club will act, of that I am sure. But where to now? The club are in a desperate position.. If you were a half decent manager would you really want to take the poisoned chalice that is Aston Villa? That's how we ended up with Sherwood in the first place. 

Why has he not been sacked yet? Even allowing him to talk about another game is just frightening. He is useless. Honestly worse than Lambert and Mcleish in my opinion.

... Oh and this is just laughable

Just hope you're not forced to repeat this in January when we have our new manager and we're still in the hole. 

Nothing but a huge hint:

The OS slideshow on the main page, number 2 was about "the boss" and had a picture of TS. It's now been removed. The ones after and before remain, just any of TS's face have been removed...

Cant get much worse than this clown, Sherwood is the worst. Just clueless, his tactics his subs everything. I knew he was the wrong man from when he was appointed. Gave him a chance but failed miserably

http://www.football365.com/news/end-of-the-road-for-sherwood-at-aston-villa

End of the road for Sherwood at Aston Villa

Date published: Saturday 24th October 2015 5:44

Tim Sherwood Aston Villa Football365

“I am telling the players it’s a must-win because we need to win a game sooner or later. This is a cup final. Forget Wembley last season, this is a cup final.”

Considering Aston Villa whimpered to a 4-0 defeat in their last cup final in May, Tim Sherwood’s latest missive was perhaps the most ill-advised yet. Packaged as a “must-win” game against Swansea, Villa looked just as lifeless and listless as they had in their previous eight Premier League games. It is now nine league games without victory.

After an insipid first half, it appeared as though a rousing half-time Timmy team-talk had inspired his players. Jordan Ayew, signed by Sherwood for £10million in the summer, stooped to head home and Villa Park erupted with relief.

It was a relief that lasted six minutes. Gylfi Sigurdsson fired home a free-kick soon after, and Andre Ayew crowned another defeat for Sherwood, his 16th – and surely last – in 28 games with three minutes remaining.

Sherwood boasted of a fully-fit squad before the game, a statement which prompted yet more questions as soon as his starting line-up for a “must-win” game was announced.

Alan Hutton, Micah Richards, Joleon Lescott and Kieran Richardson should not have formed a Premier League defence eight years ago, never mind in 2015. Gabby Agbonlahor should not still feature in top-flight games, never mind start them. Villa’s best player in Carles Gil remains on the bench. Rudy Gestede – a man backed by Sherwood as the best header in English football – is fielded, but with no wingers on the pitch. A litany of mistakes, and that was before kick-off.

Bear in mind this is a side who spent more than every other Premier League club aside from Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City and Manchester United this summer. The problems at Villa run as deep as they do high in the infrastructure, but that no longer excuses Sherwood’s clear unsuitability not only for the Villa job, but for any managerial post currently.

“That’s my job as a manager to take that responsibility. I’m not in the background, am I? I’m the manager, I get paid to stand at the front and take it on the chin and that’s what I’m doing.”

Now shackled by a win percentage of just 35% at Villa Park, this appears to be Sherwood’s last defence. He is a Football Man, willing to ‘front up’ and, as the leadership cliches pour out of his mouth, “take it on the chin”.

The thing is, no-one has ever doubted Sherwood’s determination. The issue is that he simply isn’t a Premier League manager; he’s a barely a Football League one.

As speculation concerning his job mounted throughout the week, Sherwood delivered a 427th embattled message: “I’m easy with it. My job doesn’t change. I still need to win a football match which I’m aware of. I’ll be taking full responsibility for the team’s performance and we’ll win tomorrow.”

Sherwood will surely therefore take “full responsibility” for his side having less shots than their opponents, less passing accuracy than their opponents, less passes than their opponents and less possession than their opponents. Oh, and less goals for their opponents.

This, after all, was a Swansea side who had not tasted victory of any kind since August. Only two sides have been on a worse run of form that Garry Monk’s men: 19th-placed Villa and rock-bottom Sunderland. If the Black Cats extend their Wear-Tyne winning run over Newcastle on Sunday, Villa replace them at the foot of the table.

Adamant war cries of “we’ll win tomorrow” are all well and good, and a clear staple of the Sherwood management theory. This does quite the disservice to Brendan Rodgers, but they are bosses built in a similar mould. Few are better equipped to lead a confident side in the midst of a good run of form, but both struggle to ignite that form in the first place.

Nick Miller asked a fortnight ago not only whether Sherwood was a good manager, but whether he was even a manager at all. What is clear is that at some point he has to back up the bluster. All signs suggest that he can’t.

“Am I going to be in the job next week? I’m not the person to ask. I feel like the club is in a hole,” Sherwood added after the game. What he fails to see is that he is the one holding the shovel.

Another journalist who doesn't know the difference between less and fewer. Basic English!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it's fine to use less in that context, it doesn't follow the 'rule' but the rule is bollocks.

Surely  Fox can see from a business point of view that it's not sensible to keep him? 

Why has there been no fans calling for new manager at todays game?

Well in my opinion alot of us have been broken by the owners?  Year after year it takes its toll.  Lambert is a good example of this happening?  He tried his best fighting against the grain for two years and kept us up.  He was a broken man last season as another fight eventually beat him.  Us as fans cant take much more.  Sad state of affairs.

• Like 1

Given the timings with similar announcements in the past, I suspect Monday 6-8PM will be the time we are waiting for.

Be sooner than that.  I expect it tonight.  Game on tuesday

Same here. Maybe Sunday noonish.

Will we have a caretaker??????

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Given the timings with similar announcements in the past, I suspect Monday 6-8PM will be the time we are waiting for.

Be sooner than that.  I expect it tonight.  Game on tuesday

It should have happened already.

But it's a Sunday tomorrow and we tie things in with the US.

Like the previous manager, you'd think he'd just resign to be honest.

Â