The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

I never said they weren't motivated, I said the pressure had been lifted and subconsciously they weren't playing for their lives any more. Every single player would've wanted to win, but I think the pressure lifting just flipped a switch and focus went

I don't buy that sorry.  The pressure hadn't been lifted against Southampton and we were battered.  I think that game did for us in the final to be honest.  It completely slaugtered all of the new found confidence, and the players almost to a man reverted to type. 

Whatever, I think any team in championship would have made a better fist of that final - it was embarassing. Lets not forget Wigan won the cup after being relegated a couple of years back.

Lack of organastion and preparation was significant in our wembley no show.

I never said they weren't motivated, I said the pressure had been lifted and subconsciously they weren't playing for their lives any more. Every single player would've wanted to win, but I think the pressure lifting just flipped a switch and focus went

I don't buy that sorry.  The pressure hadn't been lifted against Southampton and we were battered.  I think that game did for us in the final to be honest.  It completely slaugtered all of the new found confidence, and the players almost to a man reverted to type. 

Whatever, I think any team in championship would have made a better fist of that final - it was embarassing. Lets not forget Wigan won the cup after being relegated a couple of years back.

I don't think that's fair.  Yes, Sherwood should have been more flexible and not fallen into the trap of believing that the 4-3-2-1 formation was infallible, but we also came up against an Arsenal team at the very top of their game that day.  I think the Wigan result is mostly irrelevant, because other than them since 1988, the only teams to have won the cup other than Chelsea, Man U, Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool are Spurs and Portsmouth, once each.  The lesson being that it's always the big clubs who win the final, and that outside of the top 5/6, if you beat one decent side a year you're doing well.  If we were to play Arsenal 10 times a season, at the moment with the respective sides I'd say that they'd win 6, two would be a draw and we'd win two.  You just hope that a final is one of your days, as the semi-final was, but in the end the final was a fitting tribute to our lack of investment and downward spiral for 5 years.  The Villa fans deserved better, the club as a whole didn't.

I don't buy that sorry. The pressure hadn't been lifted against Southampton and we were battered. I think that game did for us in the final to be honest. It completely slaugtered all of the new found confidence, and the players almost to a man reverted to type.

Wigan were relegated after winning the cup, that was significant in their relegation, think it shows that certains games/performances can have an effect or take their toll. Edited by Mammoth10

That final was one of the most disappointing ( high profile)games from Villa that i can remember....I am still not over the none event.

If it was boxing it would have been billed as a mis match.

I'm not going to make a stab of what went wrong, because I don't know .....But I will say this. If this club has any intention of getting back any semblance of pride and consistency of performance.....That day might just have proved to so many at the club the size of the task and that every cloud can have a silver lining.

It may be a watershed moment.

Its up to the powers that be to dismantle it.

I don't think that's fair.  Yes, Sherwood should have been more flexible and not fallen into the trap of believing that the 4-3-2-1 formation was infallible, but we also came up against an Arsenal team at the very top of their game that day.  I think the Wigan result is mostly irrelevant, because other than them since 1988, the only teams to have won the cup other than Chelsea, Man U, Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool are Spurs and Portsmouth, once each.  The lesson being that it's always the big clubs who win the final, and that outside of the top 5/6, if you beat one decent side a year you're doing well.  If we were to play Arsenal 10 times a season, at the moment with the respective sides I'd say that they'd win 6, two would be a draw and we'd win two.  You just hope that a final is one of your days, as the semi-final was, but in the end the final was a fitting tribute to our lack of investment and downward spiral for 5 years.  The Villa fans deserved better, the club as a whole didn't.

You related to TIm at all? Great defending of him. You should play at CB for us ;)

In all seriousness.. i dont think we would have won regardless of the side he picked.. but i was dissapointed in our performance (non existent) and that comes down to the manager. There was no fight.. we were never in it from the get go and it was embarassing. Not 1 shot? even league 2 sides have more of a go. I just think the Soton 6-1 loss.... took it out of the boys and he couldnt lift them. Should have rested a few for Burnley as well.

Its done now and the man deserves another season for saving us. Im very curious about the transfer window..  who he decides to get.. and sell. Micah is a good signing if thats done.. so good start.

Edited by KSV

That's if he actually plays full back

There has already been paper reports that he will be playing CB where he will be a liability and he won't be as good as Vlaar in that position

Edited by AshVilla

There has already been paper reports that he will be playing CB where he will be a liability and he won't be as good as Vlaar in that position

I think he'd be like Vlaar this season in that position, but not like the Vlaar from the first two seasons who was very good.

I find it hard to believe journalists know the formation Sherwood is aiming for next season.

I actually don't remember much of Richards playing at right back. Can anyone remember what he was like? He's known for bombing forward but I don't seem to remember him throwing crosses into the box often so what did he actually contribute in attack?

We're gona have to trust tim. We was dead until he came.

The final was a freak show. Every single arsenal player including subs played well. Not 1 of ours did. We had about 5 players on yellows at ht. Couldn't get 1 corner. The result was obvious. Was benteke offside on 1st half when he gon b 1 on 1?

He lifted them for the run in and got us over the line....we were gone he fetched us back through the trap door.

He knew deep down this team he had was not good enough....when he got towards the end of the season The wheels came off and he could'nt lift them again.

He is a Manager not a miracle worker.

This team of varying permutations has flirted with relegation for umpteen years....we all know deep down, they are not up to it.

We need some sensible investment and have a bit of favourable luck in the transfer market.

I also believe we need some strong characters in the squad.

ps I would suggest when the keep/ let go list is formulated, that we need to be reminded of some of these games like the final & Southampton before we commit to another season of flirting with the drop.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

true but if you consistently make a quote like that it will bite you for a long time especially when said manager was actually the worst manager I have seen Villa have

In fairness I think Richard said it once and spent a little time defending it, then left everyone to mock him for it for the next 18 months in silence.

It's just a bit of banter though. People take this forum far too seriously.

• Like 3

Â