The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

I'm not going to heap praise on Sherwood for finishing 4th from bottom with the players he inherited.

Are the players he inherited really that good though? I think a lot of the players are vastly overrated on here.

• Like 3

I'm not going to heap praise on Sherwood for finishing 4th from bottom with the players he inherited.

These would be the players who had taken us to one place from bottom before Sherwood joined us and were plummeting to relegation? Including our "leading goalscorer" who had managed 3 goals all season and banged in 12 under Sherwood?

Indeed, no praise deserved by Sherwood!

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 3

Considering non of the players were his....he did well.....if that doesn't require praise, fine but then criticism should equally be denied.

I see it more the other way really.

He deserve all the praise he's gotten for keeping us in the league (and I've seen a lot of that from pretty much everyone on here)

But that doesn't make him immune from the criticism he (imo%2

Considering non of the players were his....he did well.....if that doesn't require praise, fine but then criticism should equally be denied.

He deserve all the praise he's gotten for keeping us in the league (and I've seen a lot of that from pretty much everyone on here)

But that doesn't make him immune from the criticism he (imo) rightly deserve or from people being apprehensive about what kind of manager he will be in the long term

It's fair to be apprehensive about what kind of manager he will be.....but I'm not sure how criticism can be levelled at events that have'nt happened.

Criticism for our tactics, selections and performances is what i refer to

In terms of selection....the player on the bench is always better than the one playing....I think he has no standout players to bring on they are all much of a muchness.....fans could pick several permutations of team and it would'nt make much difference.....it has to be in the player to do it.....no one coached andy Gray to go flying in with his head, where you would'nt put you boot....no one coached des Bremner to never stop running.

He hasn't got the players to make the difference....and many of them mentally throw the towel in too early.

Most of the selection criticism i've seen is about him not resting key players before the FA Cup-final, fwiw i doubt it would have mattered against them thou

But that doesn't make him immune from the criticism he (imo) rightly deserve or from people being apprehensive about what kind of manager he will be in the long term

It's fair to be apprehensive about what kind of manager he will be.....but I'm not sure how criticism can be levelled at events that have'nt happened.

Criticism for our tactics, selections and performances is what i refer to

In terms of selection....the player on the bench is always better than the one playing....I think he has no standout players to bring on they are all much of a muchness.....fans could pick several permutations of team and it would'nt make much difference.....it has to be in the player to do it.....no one coached andy Gray to go flying in with his head, where you would'nt put you boot....no one coached des Bremner to never stop running.

He hasn't got the players to make the difference....and many of them mentally throw the towel in too early.

Most of the selection criticism i've seen is about him not resting key players before the FA Cup-final, fwiw i doubt it would have mattered against them thou[/quote

It's all about opinions......but I have seen teams have resting periods before games and their opposition have congested fixtures and get beat when they meet.....in some cases it keeps your eye in, in other words matches give you match practice, it can work for you.

It's very rarely we beat arsenal because they simply out play us, they pass us to death and we have'nt got the personnel to nullify their game.....we can have more purchase on other teams as good as arsenal, but our style plays right in to the hands of the gunners.

I would sooner have played Chelsea in the final, who are a better team, just think we would have had a very slightly better chance.

We need some different types to come in.

I am not really surprised at some of the apparent pessimism shown by some supporters in regards to Sherwood.

There were a number of supporters that didn't want us to touch him with a barge pole and it would have taken a very good run of results to have changed that opinion. Whilst he kept us up, an excellent achievement in my opinion, it clearly didn't come with enough good results for some.

Whilst I think Sherwood has done well since he arrived there is no doubt that the 6-1 against Southampton and the no show from us in the cup final has tarnished what was still for me a positive impact in a short space of time.

Last season has gone now though and it is time to look forward. He won't have the constraints of working with a squad he inherited. He won't have the constraints of not having had a full pre season to implement his ideas. He also perhaps won't have Benteke and will perhaps only have relatively limited funds to rebuild a squad he has acknowledged has a losers mentality. He will certainly have his work cut out. If he continues to apply himself as he has done since he arrived though, continues to show a positive attitude and continues in the main to set his teams out to have a real go then for now he will continue to have my full backing.

I felt when he arrived that although it may not be a long ride for as long as it does last it could well be a fun one. I still feel that will be the case and for now I am happy to at least try to enjoy it.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

also the fact he turned in an uninterested striker into potentially one of biggest transfers of the summer when some on here questioned whether that striker was still any good

• Like 1

I too think the last 3 games raise a lot of questions.

I don' t know the answer, but I think the mental side, took its toll, the players were battered by too many reversals and the manager had to dig deep and put months of work in to a few weeks.

What happens next season is anyone's guess....but I do share the view he will live and die by his signings.

I wish him all the best, because what I do like about him as much as he can, he says it like it really is.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I would like to see him given a chance.

I can't think of any other manager that I would prefer, I will tell you why.....from the best manager in the world to the worst, they would have a hell,of a job and it can be described as a poisoned chalice.....under the conditions I see no one hand on heart, that I could guarantee would be able to do better.

I would prefer to label it a heck of of a job.....I think it can be done with a bucket load of luck and a prudent approach.

We have finished 17 th with the players we have and have not done much better, with different players from the past seasons.

I think we need to go back to basics and build a team that can defend as a pre requisite and metamorph in to a team that can play......much the same as Stoke have done, but a better version of it.

Until we can defend ourselves I see no progression at all....we can start by turning villa park into graveyard for opposing teams.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I know football has changed.....but I would like to see a Ron Saunders type approach, when he came to the club.

That scouring the big teams and blend a working machine, we may not be ably assisted by a Tony Barton whose legendary scouting skills was the cornerstone of that success, that could be the tricky bit.

A tough durable team with a mission statement of 110 % work rate.

We have'nt got the money to build a mini arsenal or Barcelona, but we can build a team that will be miserly at home and not have to rely on smash and grab raids as if we are playing away.

It needs a rethink and a new approach, because this last 10 years had not worked.

Sherwood did well to help us stay up, but I wouldn't exactly be distraught if he were to leave.

So you have said before on here, more than once.

My view is, he kept us up when we were heading down and he fully deserves a fair go at managing this team

• Like 3

Yep. he deserves a chance. I think he is fantastic at managing a team in chaos (a fire fight, for want of a better description), but I think it is fair to wait till he proves himself over the course of a season before we claim he is the best man for the job. 

But quite rightly he deserves that chance to prove if he can/can't.

Sherwood did well to help us stay up, but I wouldn't exactly be distraught if he were to leave.

So you have said before on here, more than once.

My view is, he kept us up when we were heading down and he fully deserves a fair go at managing this team

I haven't said that before at all. And it's not about what Tim Sherwood deserves, we're not a charity. It's what Aston Villa needs.

One time!

That doesn't actually work but search for " Sherwood did well to help us stay up, but I wouldn't exactly be distraught if he were to leave " in the search bar and you'll see I've only said it once.

Edited by useless

Mate I have concern's about Sherwood long term, but he did a remarkable job to keep us in the division.

I would like to see him given a chance.

I can't think of any other manager that I would prefer, I will tell you why.....from the best manager in the world to the worst, they would have a hell,of a job and it can be described as a poisoned chalice.....under the conditions I see no one hand on heart, that I could guarantee would be able to do better.

I would prefer to label it a heck of of a job.....I think it can be done with a bucket load of luck and a prudent approach.

We have finished 17 th with the players we have and have not done much better, with different players from the past seasons.

I think we need to go back to basics and build a team that can defend as a pre requisite and metamorph in to a team that can play......much the same as Stoke have done, but a better version of it.

Until we can defend ourselves I see no progression at all....we can start by turning villa park into graveyard for opposing teams.

Build a team around our youth and especially the next-gen players (Robinson, Grealish, Gardner and Calder etc.)

I wouldn't either if he'd had us all season, but to come in when he did, with the players as low as they've ever been, and get us scoring goals and winning matches was quite an accomplishment. Don't underestimate the mess we were in on February 15th after that hull game

The last 3 games have changed lots of opinions of our team....it may have changed Tim Sherwoods opinion of them too.

I thought it was a pretty shameful affair, myself....and raises real questions of their character.

I!m sure all will be revealed in the fullness of time.

Â