The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Saying on the radio this morning he has backtracked - theres not going to be wholesale changes, its only the fringe players that he will move on. For me Cissokho, Guzan, Gil, could all still play a part - Madness !

I think the first question when employing a new coach should be 'Can he organise a defence' , Sherwood clearly can't - do we make that call now or wait November \ December ?

Make what call now?

TS is right though, it is obvious to anybody looking at our club that the players we have are just not good enough, there is no fight, no passion, he did not say they were losers he said the have a loser mentality, too many times have we seen sloppy passing, lack of tracking players, bad marking,walking round the pitch, we have to get players who refuse to lose, will put their body on the line to get points, we just have no fight or movement, TS as manager takes the blame for this, why should it be his fault if players do not follow simple instructions or put the effort in. It has gone on for too long and it needs to change.

He is right. I don't think anybody has disagreed with that.

But there's a difference between thinking something and publicly stating something. I don't think it's the most motivating tactic to call the players losers and tell some of them they'll never play for Villa again days before a cup final.

• Like 1

Is that a quote? Where did you hear that?

No it was just on WM that he had ruled making wholesale changes. To be fair to TS thats probably what he meant all along.

• Like 1

TS is right though, it is obvious to anybody looking at our club that the players we have are just not good enough, there is no fight, no passion, he did not say they were losers he said the have a loser mentality, too many times have we seen sloppy passing, lack of tracking players, bad marking,walking round the pitch, we have to get players who refuse to lose, will put their body on the line to get points, we just have no fight or movement, TS as manager takes the blame for this, why should it be his fault if players do not follow simple instructions or put the effort in. It has gone on for too long and it needs to change.

He is right. I don't think anybody has disagreed with that.

But there's a difference between thinking something and publicly stating something. I don't think it's the most motivating tactic to call the players losers and tell some of them they'll never play for Villa again days before a cup final.

Good enough for what ?

I think that squad is capable of more than 4th bottom.  Look what an organised defence has done for WBA , Palace.

• Like 1

Good enough for the top half of the league. good enough to put a shift in, good enough to find space and call for the ball, good enough to beat the first man when crossing, good enough to see out a game, good enough to tackle rather than foul, good enough to shoot and actually hit the target, good enough to actually be hurt if substituted,I think you know what I mean by good enough.

I'm happy with Timmy. I never bet on Villa but I put a tenner on after that Stoke game we'd get relegated, I was so certain of it. Proved me wrong, he's done a lot more good than bad!

Remember in February when we were going to break Derby's record for the lowest goal total in the Premier League?

Sherwood got us excited to watch the Villa again. Yes, he offered basically nothing in the Cup final, but given how Arsenal played, we were probably losing anyway. We'll have bad games under him and hopefully he'll learn from them, but when we were parked in the bottom 3 and totally unable to score goals, if you'd offered me the rest of the season as it played out under Sherwood, i'd have bitten your hand off.

Let's hope he can push us further next season

Remember in February when we were going to break Derby's record for the lowest goal total in the Premier League?

Sherwood got us excited to watch the Villa again. Yes, he offered basically nothing in the Cup final, but given how Arsenal played, we were probably losing anyway. We'll have bad games under him and hopefully he'll learn from them, but when we were parked in the bottom 3 and totally unable to score goals, if you'd offered me the rest of the season as it played out under Sherwood, i'd have bitten your hand off.

Let's hope he can push us further next season

Agree with everything except the bold part. I think that's the loser mentality that Sherwood is referring to. We allowed Arsenal to play that way because of the way we set up and the fact that we gave them nothing to worry about defensively. The players looked beaten before they even touched the ball.

• Like 2

Is that a quote? Where did you hear that?

No it was just on WM that he had ruled making wholesale changes. To be fair to TS thats probably what he meant all along.

Perhaps somebody at the club has clobbered Tim and told him to get back out there and manage our expectations...

Yes, he offered basically nothing in the Cup final, but given how Arsenal played, we were probably losing anyway

Agree with everything except the bold part.

People were absolutely furious when VillaTalkers pulled that line out earlier in the season when we lost to the likes of Arsenal and Man City in the league.

Don't know why it's any different now. Especially in a cup final where there's no excuse for a lack of motivation.

Saturday was more than just a loss. It was a humiliation.

• Like 2

We don't know when the comments were made or what players he was referring to.

I can't believe that any of the starting 11 from Saturday were told beforehand that they won't play for the club again. In fact, I doubt that any of the starting 11 were told this in any case.

He has publically stated he wants to keep Vlaar, Benteke and Cleverley, praised Okore for putting the club before himself and stated that Richardson is his type of player. This leaves Hutton, Westwood, Delph, Grealish, N'Zog and Given.

I think N'Zog, Westwood, Given and Hutton can be improved upon but all of them can play at this level. Even if you don't rate them, they are all useful as squad players until better squad players are found. I'd bet all, with the possible exception of Given would find PL teams to play for if released.

Im going to state here and now I think TS is a disaster waiting to happen.

In 3 months he moved us up 1 place in the league. Mainly due to Benteke finding his scoring boots and Burnley beating Hull. Along the way he appears to have alientated Guzan, Gil , Cissokho  - we don't have enough money to discard such players....

We don't know when the comments were made or what players he was referring to.

I can't believe that any of the starting 11 from Saturday were told beforehand that they won't play for the club again. In fact, I doubt that any of the starting 11 were told this in any case.

He has publically stated he wants to keep Vlaar, Benteke and Cleverley, praised Okore for putting the club before himself and stated that Richardson is his type of player. This leaves Hutton, Westwood, Delph, Grealish, N'Zog and Given.

I think N'Zog, Westwood, Given and Hutton can be improved upon but all of them can play at this level. Even if you don't rate them, they are all useful as squad players until better squad players are found. I'd bet all, with the possible exception of Given would find PL teams to play for if released.

Said he loves Westwood too - his type of player.

I think the first question when employing a new coach should be 'Can he organise a defence' , Sherwood clearly can't - do we make that call now or wait November \ December ?

No he clearly can't, let's get rid.

Â