The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

My Spurs mate warned me about tim's tatics. He only knows one way to play it seems.

Saying that maybe he was trying to play to their strengths because we can't hold a lead at all.

That could be so....and in itself shows the need for surgery.

When watching a game, I like to see what trouble our players are causing the opposition.

In that context and not only him, but i fail to see what Zog does.

• Like 1

They say a chain is only as strong as the weakest link and in the same parallel we are only as good as our worst performances.

I have a worry of how poor we can be.....when we are poor.

I would like to see Tim raise that bar and avoid very poor performances.

with Lambert, we'd get a sequence of two 1:0 defeats and a 0:0 draw whereas with Sherwood I think we are about to get a 6:0 defeat, a 3:3 draw and a 1:0 win

of the two, I'd go with Sherwood, which is just as well, because that's who we've got for the foreseeable future

my only fear, is that limited playing resources and limited tactics might mean we've been worked out by November and begin to find it just as hard as before

• Like 2

My Spurs mate warned me about tim's tatics. He only knows one way to play it seems.

Saying that maybe he was trying to play to their strengths because we can't hold a lead at all.

It was one (of many) concerns I had too, but to be fair I think he recognises this. He made comments yesterday about finding different ways of playing.

What worries me is, how much of what he says he will actually do and how much of it is soundbites for the media?

When watching a game, I like to see what trouble our players are causing the opposition.

I agree TRO, when he gets the ball, which is not too often anyway, he just seems to have a brain fart and either loses it very quickly or appears as though he's about to go on a jinking run but then suddenly stops half way through even though you can see where he could actually go to continue his run which would cause a problem for the opposition... instead he stops, turns, gets shut down and meekly gives the ball away yet again... It's unbelievably infuriating to watch and he does it over & over again game in game out! 

He's not the only one though as you say, they were atrocious yesterday and for me made Arsenal look a lot better than they actually are although they are a decent outfit of course.

I worry about the spine of this team as

1. The Goalkeepers are not strong enough it seems (Although Guzan was doing well for me but seemed to lose his focus somewhere),

2. The defence is all over the shop and changes almost on a weekly basis not helped by incredible numbers of long term injuries it has to be said.

3. Midfield being very inconsistent, Delph has a good game or two but then has an "Arsenal" type performance where he seems to lose the plot. Cleverley likewise is class one game then invisible the next.

4. Aside from Benteke where is our attacking threat? Arsenal played him perfectly yesterday and rumbled that our biggest threat was a long cross to him in the box, their keeper nullified this by coming way off his line to clear and we had nothing else.

So for me the spine of the team is not strong / consistent enough though this is partly down to the injuries particularly in defence.

• Like 2

It was one (of many) concerns I had too, but to be fair I think he recognises this. He made comments yesterday about finding different ways of playing.

What worries me is, how much of what he says he will actually do and how much of it is soundbites for the media?

I don't think he has the VARIETY of types of players to change it around too much, I think we have too many of the same type.

in other words you can " change the bowler, but it doesn't change the bowling"

• Like 1

I agree TRO, when he gets the ball, which is not too often anyway, he just seems to have a brain fart and either loses it very quickly or appears as though he's about to go on a jinking run but then suddenly stops half way through even though you can see where he could actually go to continue his run which would cause a problem for the opposition... instead he stops, turns, gets shut down and meekly gives the ball away yet again... It's unbelievably infuriating to watch and he does it over & over again game in game out! 

He's not the only one though as you say, they were atrocious yesterday and for me made Arsenal look a lot better than they actually are although they are a decent outfit of course.

I worry about the spine of this team as

1. The Goalkeepers are not strong enough it seems (Although Guzan was doing well for me but seemed to lose his focus somewhere),

2. The defence is all over the shop and changes almost on a weekly basis not helped by incredible numbers of long term injuries it has to be said.

3. Midfield being very inconsistent, Delph has a good game or two but then has an "Arsenal" type performance where he seems to lose the plot. Cleverley likewise is class one game then invisible the next.

4. Aside from Benteke where is our attacking threat? Arsenal played him perfectly yesterday and rumbled that our biggest threat was a long cross to him in the box, their keeper nullified this by coming way off his line to clear and we had nothing else.

So for me the spine of the team is not strong / consistent enough though this is partly down to the injuries particularly in defence.

Spot on post, that....I was tittering reading your take on Zog in the first paragraph, not taking the pee out of the bloke, just tickled by you accuracy in appraisal.....meaning it was very accurate.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Think Tim could save himself and some of the players from a lot of criticism if he came out and told us which players have been playing (or not playing) with injuries during the last couple of weeks

In the last 4 years it feels like we have always put in good performances when we've needed to survive, sometimes we need that pressure to be able to perform.

We've had a few good starts and patches of form even under Lambert.

Sherwood probably had us playing the best football but Lambert did have periods when Gabby Benteke and Weimann were destroying defences.

The issue is for Sherwood he seemed to find a team that could win but then injuries and mistakes started happening and we folded like cheap paper.

We don't have enough of a foundation of talent and depth to be able to perform consistently or to any acceptable level, my opinion is that even with Mourinho we would still be a team fighting relegation.

Chronic lack of investment, bizarre transfers, internal bullying, bomb squads, and general poor running of the club can not be undone by one young upcoming manager with a big ego, but it's certainly a start.

If we go another close season with little or no investment, Sherwood will find himself having to play not to lose rather than to win because the playing personnel aren't good enough to win. I am not a pro Lambert guy but I think he ended up compromising the way he wanted to play football because of the above, that doesn't excuse all the other bad management and dross he put us through though.

• Like 2

I think it was an error not playing Gabby instead of Nzog yesterday and also Bacuna instead of Hutton. Gabby has proven over and over again he is a big threat in big games and i feel his pace threat along with Benteke's threat wold have posed much more question marks for the Arsenal players meaning they wouldn't have been able to rush forward quite so much. Also i think it was clear that Wenger had rumbled the tactics used in the Liverpool semi and had his team set up perfectly to nullify us... Gabby, although he has his limits, was sorely missed for me.

As for Bacuna he is so much more of a threat going forward than Hutton, yes he is a little naive defensively but i'm surprised Sherwood didn't give him the nod,

It was almost as though Tim made very similar mistakes that Lambert was making in trying to hold a superior team at bay by going defensive thus nullifying us as an attacking force.

• Like 1

I think it was an error not playing Gabby instead of Nzog yesterday and also Bacuna instead of Hutton. Gabby has proven over and over again he is a big threat in big games and i feel his pace threat along with Benteke's threat wold have posed much more question marks for the Arsenal players meaning they wouldn't have been able to rush forward quite so much. Also i think it was clear that Wenger had rumbled the tactics used in the Liverpool semi and had his team set up perfectly to nullify us... Gabby, although he has his limits, was sorely missed for me.

As for Bacuna he is so much more of a threat going forward than Hutton, yes he is a little naive defensively but i'm surprised Sherwood didn't give him the nod,

It was almost as though Tim made very similar mistakes that Lambert was making in trying to hold a superior team at bay by going defensive thus nullifying us as an attacking force.

Bigger problem is he half assed it , if he was going to be more defensive he should of packed the midfield and played Sanchez and Westwood as 2 holding  midfielders. Using.Using Cleverly ,Delph and Grealish in a 3 behind Benteke.

I am unclear as to why after getting overun in the first half he wasn't more decisive with the subs.N'Zogbia was not going to suddenly going to get  into the game and when Gabby came on he gave them more problems as he got hold of the ball and held it up or ran at them which N'Zogbia was unable to do.It seems in some mitigation he knew Richardson couldn't last the game and had to keep one sub back for him but even so 

The changes had to come before we went further behind and had even more of a mountain to climb his procrastinating cost us IMO.

You couldn't tell weather that team was being managed by Lambert or Sherwood yesterday. We haven't got the players to beat Arsenal and if we thought Sherwood was going to beat Wenger tactically, I think we were wishing for a miracle. 

I tend think he plays his favourites, like O'Neil did, an this worries me. No way was that our strongest team yesterday, Gabby would have been ideal to start as would Bacuna and Sincalir. I also think the size of the game got to Grealish a bit as he lost the ball over and over. If its not working he needs to think about changing it a bit earlier. All through the game the goal was coming and you could see Hutton and Nzog were having a mare, but he didn't make the change again till it was too late. 

I think maybe these last 3 games, if nothing else.....shows TS what he has to do.

And what did the first ten show?

That was a short break  :)

• Like 2

I think maybe these last 3 games, if nothing else.....shows TS what he has to do.

And what did the first ten show?

That he's inconsistent with tactics and his approach to games, but has done enough to warrant a summer to put his stamp on the squad.

Don't understand the hyperbole either way to be honest. He's neither a fantastic or a terrible manager. He simply hasn't had enough time to prove either.

• Like 3

He's been at the club 5 minutes in comparison to other managers before him has not had a full preseason with the squad and has brought none of his own players in

Give the the bloke a break ffs

Look at the squad he's inherited half of it belong in the championship we came in needing wins he provided that and we now have prem football to look forward to next season anyone would think we have been relegated and the world is going to end rediculous

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

Â