The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

It didn't matter what team we selected on Saturday or what formation we played-We would still have been comfortably beaten by a much better side

Sounds like an excuse to me...

Your opinion is that other people's opinions are bizarre and over the top (you did say that)

As SBS said, if people can't have opinions may as well shut the forum down.

Sherwood got it wrong the last 3 weeks. Not even seeing how he could be criticised for that is bizarre to me.

Also calling the FA cup a bonus is so small time it hurts. May as well have not turned up then.

How did he get it wrong on Saturday? What masterstroke would you have pulled to win us that cup, that Sherwood failed to see?

Oh my god, please read.

I didn't expect us to win. Just not to be utterly humiliated. Not a lot to ask really.

Pathetically small time mindset.

Bradford are miles away from Chelsea. Even more than we are from arsenal.

As loads have said, it isn't that we lost, it's that we didn't even compete. That was pathetic and humiliating. But nah, we weren't even expected to compete. Just turn up and lose.

Absolute nonsense.

Very good but you still haven't told us what you'd have done that would have made a difference.

The team and formation is pretty much what was played against Liverpool. I don't remember too many people calling for it to be changed back then

Stefan I know your angry and to be honest that game has hurt me more than anyother I can remember.

However do you think the players wanted to be humiliated?

Sherwood said him self that he wanted a team which throw some punches, against Liverpool it worked and we out played a supposedly better team.

However if you leave yourself open then you are liable to get knocked out by a quality opponent.

Edited by villaglint

Your opinion is that other people's opinions are bizarre and over the top (you did say that)

Sherwood got it wrong the last 3 weeks. Not even seeing how he could be criticised for that is bizarre to me.

Also calling the FA cup a bonus is so small time it hurts. May as well have not turned up then.

How did he get it wrong on Saturday? What masterstroke would you have pulled to win us that cup, that Sherwood failed to see?

Oh my god, please read.

I didn't expect us to win. Just not to be utterly humiliated. Not a lot to ask really.

Oh right-So it wasn't team selection, tactics or formation after all?

We got there in the end.

And you didn't expect us to win?????????? With an attitude like that, you have lost before you start. Even how badly the players performed, I'll wager that they still didn't go in with such a dreadful attitude.

& you have the cheek to talk about "small time"

I'll bite. 

Didn't Sunderland and Swansea both show recently how to compete against Arsenal? We have the players to play on the counter attack but instead we opted for a very narrow formation where Arsenal's full backs could get forward and actually double up on our full backs at will. They also managed to control the middle of the park even though we had 5 players in there at times because our midfield 3 were getting pulled out wide.

The ref didn't help by giving yellow cards for first fouls but you have to accept that can happen. We looked tired, leggy and disorganised. It's all well and good telling them to go out there and attack but what do you do after 10 or so minutes when its clear it isn't working?

Losing isn't a problem. Not competing is.

• Like 2

As loads have said, it isn't that we lost, it's that we didn't even compete. That was pathetic and humiliating. But nah, we weren't even expected to compete. Just turn up and lose.

Absolute nonsense.

Very good but you still haven't told us what you'd have done that would have made a difference.

The team and formation is pretty much what was played against Liverpool. I don't remember too many people calling for it to be changed back then

Because it worked then.

It was clear after 10 minutes against Arsenal it wasn't working.

You can't just play one team and system in every single situation.

it's not a difficult concept

Exactly. Sherwood has shown for me that he doesn't react to a situation. It's admirable that he gave the same players that beat Liverpool a chance but it wasn't working and he didn't react until we were 2-0 down and it was game over.

Yes Stevo but clearly Sherwood still felt that was our best bet, he doesnt see us as being a team which can sit deep against quality opposition, he tried that away against Utd and got the same result.

So whatever his faults maybe I think if a side as good as Arsenal turn up on the day and you dont then your between a rock and a hard place. I am not overly angry at Sherwood.

Edited by villaglint

I wouldn't have tried to match the one of the best midfield in the country man for man. 

I wouldn't have persisted with the tactic when after 10 mins it was clear we were getting hammered in midfield. 

I wouldn't have made the pitch as narrow as possible I'd have made it as wide as possible and banged crosses into Benteke. 

I wouldn't have isolated Benteke by leaving him stuck up front by himself trying to get knock downs and holding up with noone to play to. 

We might still have lost - thats fine. They ARE the better team..... but it would have looked like we were putting in some bloody effort. 

• Like 3

Absolute nonsense.

Because it worked then.

Great

Managers change things after 10mins on a regular basis do they?

I fail to see what the alternatives were, other than to try to park the bus for 120 mins and gamble on a breakaway or penalties

Better managers than Sherwood have been beaten by Arsenal you know.

Yes Stevo but clearly Sherwood still felt that was our best bet, he doesnt see us as being a team which can sit deep against quality opposition, he tried that away against Utd and got the same result.

So whatever his faults maybe I think if a side as good as Arsenal turn up on the day and you dont then your between a rock and a hard place. I am not overly angry at Sherwood.

People got slaughtered for having this "they're a better team so we were always going to lose" attitude 6-9 months ago.

I'm not angry at Sherwood either. Far from it.

But I do think he shoulders SOME of the blame for Saturday's performance, which was an embarrassment.

• Like 1

Absolute nonsense.

Because it worked then.

Great

I fail to see what the alternatives were, other than to try to park the bus for 120 mins and gamble on a breakaway or penalties

The best do, yes.

I've seen Mourinho pull players off early in the first half when things aren't going right or they aren't performing.

• Like 1

Oh my god, please read.

Oh right-So it wasn't team selection, tactics or formation after all?

We got there in the end.

And you didn't expect us to win?????????? With an attitude like that, you have lost before you start. Even how badly the players performed, I'll wager that they still didn't go in with such a dreadful attitude.

& you have the cheek to talk about "small time"

Hahahahaha

You just said that 'the FA cup is a bonus' and it didn't matter whether we won because Sherwood is immune to criticism and now you're twisting my words. Nice one.

It's clear what I meant. Going inEXPECTING us to win against arsenal would be mental. They're clearly better than us.

However I EXPECTED us to put up a fight and not just whimper to a loss. If we'd fought we could have snuck a win.

However we didn't even do that. We didn't have a single shot, a single corner and we were publicly humiliated in the FA cup final. If you can't see how Sherwood would be criticised for that then there's

No point debating this anymore.

Absolute nonsense.

Because it worked then.

Great

Yes they do. All the time.

And if they don't they change it after 20, or 30, or 45, or 60 minutes.

There are plenty of alternatives. Just because you can't see them doesn't mean they aren't there.

PLenty of managers get beaten by Arsenal. Not many get absolutely humped in a cup final without mustering a shot.

When plan A hasn't worked in the first half, you can give it 10 minutes of the second half. When it still hasn't worked after an hour, then perhaps, just perhaps, it's time to try plan B.

There was no plan B. There wasn't even an attempt to do plan A quicker, or deeper, or less shit.

• Like 2

Im going to state here and now I think TS is a disaster waiting to happen.

In 3 months he moved us up 1 place in the league. Mainly due to Benteke finding his scoring boots and Burnley beating Hull. Along the way he appears to have alientated Guzan, Gil , Cissokho  - we don't have enough money to discard such players....

Don't you think Sherwood deserves some credit for Benteke finding his scoring boots. Sherwood has done a fantastic job from where we were. i can't understand the negatitvity

To me, not just saturday, he can't organise a defence, he is already bombing out perfectly good players, Gil, Given, Cissokho. We all asked for someone marginally better than Lambert, and thats precisley what we have, someone marginally better. That marginally better, might prove not be good enough come November\December, then we have another mid season change to make.

Replacing TS now would be incredibly harsh, but we are in harsh business here.

I wouldn't have tried to match the one of the best midfield in the country man for man. 

I wouldn't have persisted with the tactic when after 10 mins it was clear we were getting hammered in midfield. 

I wouldn't have made the pitch as narrow as possible I'd have made it as wide as possible and banged crosses into Benteke. 

I wouldn't have isolated Benteke by leaving him stuck up front by himself trying to get knock downs and holding up with noone to play to. 

We might still have lost - thats fine. They ARE the better team..... but it would have looked like we were putting in some bloody effort. 

Yeah-Making the pitch as wide as possible against Arsenal is a great shout.

Making the pitch wide as possible would have (presumably) meant playing wingers-How would that possibly help our centre midfielders (2 & not 3) playing against (by your own admission) one of the best midfields in the country.

Thank God you weren't in charge on Saturday-They'd have been into double figures

Â