The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

So who do you think are the experienced player that have already been told they can find a new club?

At a guess,

Guzan (stupidly), Senderos, Cissokho, Lowton, Gil and Weimann (not to mention those having been out on loan such as Bent, Helenius, Tonev, Luna)

Literally one of the most stupid decisions going if he is letting Guzan go.

• Like 4

3 months ago we looked crap, certain for the drop which would mean no takeover. We couldn't score any goals and were the laughing stock of the league.

yep look at us now. We look certain for the drop next season, comments from the club the last two weeks suggest no takeover is imminent anyway, we've scored one goal in the last 3 games and didn't even look like scoring in them and after the performance yesterday we are the laughing stock in the league!

Yep.

Meet the new guy, same as the old guy. Last three games especially.

Glad you've decided to give Tim a chance mate.

Firstly, the last three games have been very Lambert-esque. I guess for you the best thing is that he isn't Lambert, I get that, I know that is his best point for you.

Secondly

Drum roll...

Ta-da!!!!!

http://www.villatalk.com/index.php/topic/12760-the-tim-sherwood-thread/page-329#entry1670348 

Sherwood did well to keep us up as did Lambert before him. But this idea that he performed some sort of miracle in doing so, is over played in my opinion, we were only in the drop zone on goal difference when he arrived.

We'd have gone down with Lambert in charge for the whole season, I think most people think that.

Sherwood did very well to change things around and keep us up. His real job starts now and he deserves a chance like Lambert was given

Agree, although the FA Cup and Southampton performances showed that Sherwood is perfectly capable of putting on shows worthy of Lambert at his worst, and his team selection is even more baffling than Lambert's. Charles N'Zogbia every game? WTActualF

• Like 1

3 bad results does not make TS a bad manager. I said a few pages back that his real acid test would come after the honeymoon period, when a few bad results went against us. Fortunately, we can draw a line under this current run and move on to next season. There will of course be another bad run at some point, as sure as night turns into day. Maybe some of us were getting a bit too carried away (myself included) We still have an awful long way to go, limited funds and likely to lose our star player.

Sherwood achieved his target. Not in spectacular fashion but the all important thing is we are in the PL next season. The cup run was an enjoyable break from the high pressure of the relegation battle. I don't know about others but I only began to take it seriously after the Liverpool semi. For me, the more important games were the league games.

I can't see how TS can be criticised for his team selection. The only potential debates were Hutton/Bacuna and N'Zog/Gabby. Both arguments have valid points both for and against and have been done to death elsewhere. 

Clark was clearly a big loss for us in that final run-in and we can no doubt look forward to reinforcements coming in to that area in the summer.

Its been a great few months under Sherwood, possibly peaking just to soon on or around the semi-final. I'm looking forward to him imposing his own mark on the team in the summer and feel confident that we'll be quick out of the blocks come August.

• Like 3

Tim Sherwood in such a short space of time has worked the oracle....in my view , we were gone.

He has shown us great moments when we thought this team was incapable of producing such fine football....but this team is Brittle....and My god when its good its good and when its bad its piss poor.

He has a big job on and it needs major surgery.

• Like 1

Winners cost money, that's why they are winners.

Players who don't have the right temperament for the premier league fall into our current 'budget'. After all the PR exercises over the last week you'd like to think changes are in hand. Tom Fox certainly didn't leave arsenal to carry on under the same regime Faulkner had. There MUST have been some assurances??

Sherwood is renowned(?) for his honesty and he's said money is available. Fingers crossed for some serious surgery in the summer. There are obviously still some rotten eggs in our squad and many of them who have been around since the MON days should be shown the door.

That's 5 managers and 5 different coaching teams in total that haven't managed to get them to the required level. They just aren't good enough, how many more games do they get to prove it?

I was one of those who were dead set against his appointment. I'd have pretty much taken anyone else but Sherwood and thought the appointment was bordering on a McLeish level of stupidity.

He's done a better than I thought he would and certainly deserves credit for changing the atmosphere around the club and getting the team to play in a more positive manner.

I don't think we should go overboard with ether praise or criticism at this point. He's done what I would describe as a 'solid' job so far. A 7/10 on the managerial scale.

We were at a very low ebb and he has certainly lifted us, but I don't think steering us to safety is any kind of epic achievement.

For me, he basically got what I thought Lambert should have been getting out of this group of players.

The squad is average, but there are some gems in there and my own view is, the current squad is good enough to be around 10-12th place. I think we have a better SQUAD than WBA, Palace, Sunderland, Leicester (and arguably we have players at least on a par with the like of West Ham, Swansea, Newcastle and Stoke).

We certainly shouldn't need a complete overhaul of the squad, just to compete with the teams mentioned next year.

It's too early to judge him. He's shown there is more to him than I thought, but equally he has confirmed some of the misgivings I had about him.

I do worry about the amount of control he seems to have been given, because if it does go Pete Tong, then we are back to square one, but that's a different debate I suppose.

• Like 1

Best moments: 

Sunderland, West Brom (x2), Liverpool, Everton, Spurs, Man City.

Worst moments:

Newcastle, Stoke, Swansea, Southampton, Burnley, Arsenal, saying too much, high line and weird choices.

• Like 1

He did what he came into do and kept us up. He's got a massive summer ahead of him with who he brings in and lets go. I think we do need a big clear out. Lets judge him next season, see whether he's just a short-term impact manager or whether he can build something here. 

Give him two weeks to get settled the try to get to grips with this team and what did he do?

Beat WBA twice in a week and send us to an FA Cup semi final, over Pulis who a lot would have wanted us to get if he was available.

Go to Sunderland and smash them inside 45 minutes, almost doubling our away goals for the season in one game.

Benteke who couldn't even get the ball before, scored a hat trick v QPR in a game we should have won.

Go to his old club who have spent fortunes and are a level above us and win.

Win an FA Cup semi at Wembley and out play Liverpool in what was the best day in years for this club.

Give Man City a good go and we were very unlucky to lose, we were the better team.

Beat Everton and West Ham at home to secure safety.

That's a good summary, and the way we played v Liverpool suggests that we've got a managerial genius on our hands.

Then again there was the FA Cup final, beside that Liverpool game the revival has pretty much been based on Benteke's full recovery from injury/improved coaching [delete as appropriate].

Mainly my beef is that I'm so baffled by him playing N'Zogbia (and not Gil, or Sinclair, or Guzan) that I actually feel angry about it.

Edited by CrackpotForeigner
  • Like 1

We were cooked before Sherwood saved us, and make no mistake, that's precisely what he did. Looking back, he managed a pretty much impossible task, and managed it, ultimately, with a couple of games to spare. That was unthinkable the day after the Hull game.

Once we were safe, I think the pressure of the season just took its toll on the players. Tim didn't get the management right for the last couple of games and we lost our momentum. I'm sure it's a tough thing to get players giving 100% knowing that a red card or an injury would have them missing the FA Cup final, but hopefully he's learned from that.

Beating Arsenal was always going to be difficult. Whatever way you cut it, they're far, far better than us in every single department right now. We needed the game of our lives, and for them not to turn up. That was always a shot in the dark though. There won't be too many people surprised with the result, but we've got every right to be disappointed and angry about the performance. That was the biggest game of most of those players lives and they never showed up. Some of that has got to be down to the manager.

But like the players, the manager is new to this, too.

I'm certainly not changing my opinion that he's done a ludicrously tough job with more style than we could ever have imagined just because the players took their holidays early and then forgot to come back for the FA Cup. The remit was to keep us up, that was mission accomplished. Beating Liverpool in that semi final might just have pushed us over the line in the league, so the cup run was definitely worth it IMO.

The season is over, we stayed up and we lost in a cup final. There's not a single one of us on here that wouldn't have taken that in a second after the Hull game. I've got no time for people throwing their toys out of the pram with Sherwood, and tarnishing his contribution or saying he was "found out" because of the last few games.

Let's see how he gets on in the transfer market first. Let's see how he rebuilds the squad. Let's see who he gets rid of. Let's see who he can keep hold of. Let's give him a chance to actually give it a go. He deserves it, because he did the impossible this season.

I just find it ironic that some the most negative folks on here, the ones saying we were definitely down and couldn't be saved and this, that and the other, are the ones complaining the loudest at the end of the season when we stayed up.

Losing 4-0 in a cup final isn't good enough, nobody is saying it is, but it was s side show to this season. The real stuff starts when the buying and selling kicks off and the players return in July.

It doesn't matter who the owner is or isn't, we can only spend what we make - our losses in the past are such that Bill Gates couldn't invest any more than Randy will. If you can't accept that, modern football isn't for you. Unless there are major FFP changes, the only thing a new owner can do is increase club income, or decrease club spending, to give the manager more money. There's no alternative, no workaround, no loophole, no legal challenges. It was voted in by a majority, and it's not changing any time soon.

So, shut the **** up, stop moaning about everything, realise that the current football climate is doing its best to keep clubs outside the established big name group down, and support the goddamned team, manager and whoever else. The poisonous shite on here is ludicrous.

I couldn't like this more than once so I thought I'd just quote it again.

• Like 2

Winners cost money, that's why they are winners.

Players who don't have the right temperament for the premier league fall into our current 'budget'. After all the PR exercises over the last week you'd like to think changes are in hand. Tom Fox certainly didn't leave arsenal to carry on under the same regime Faulkner had. There MUST have been some assurances??

Sherwood is renowned(?) for his honesty and he's said money is available. Fingers crossed for some serious surgery in the summer. There are obviously still some rotten eggs in our squad and many of them who have been around since the MON days should be shown the door.

That's 5 managers and 5 different coaching teams in total that haven't managed to get them to the required level. They just aren't good enough, how many more games do they get to prove it?

In General you are right , but,there are winners around that don't cost big money, Leicester, Stoke,Swansea,Southampton have examples of that....we need to identify them and get them.

Our main problem has been signing too many players of a similar type....we need players who are willing to fight for the ball, with the ball and on the ball....we have players who are too content in standing off and reluctant to get in the oppositions faces.

Edited by TRO

Give him two weeks to get settled the try to get to grips with this team and what did he do?

Beat WBA twice in a week and send us to an FA Cup semi final, over Pulis who a lot would have wanted us to get if he was available.

Go to Sunderland and smash them inside 45 minutes, almost doubling our away goals for the season in one game.

Benteke who couldn't even get the ball before, scored a hat trick v QPR in a game we should have won.

Go to his old club who have spent fortunes and are a level above us and win.

Win an FA Cup semi at Wembley and out play Liverpool in what was the best day in years for this club.

Give Man City a good go and we were very unlucky to lose, we were the better team.

Beat Everton and West Ham at home to secure safety.

That's a good summary, and the way we played v Liverpool suggests that we've got a managerial genius on our hands.

Then again there was the FA Cup final, beside that Liverpool game the revival has pretty much been based on Benteke's full recovery from injury/improved coaching [delete as appropriate].

Mainly my beef is that I'm so baffled by him playing N'Zogbia (and not Gil, or Sinclair, or Guzan) that I actually feel angry about it.

In the end, I don't think he will be either a genius or a dud. Like most manages, he has good points and bad. We have just got to hope his good points outweigh the bad ones whilst he is here. At the moment I think they will, but I would put any significant money on him being a success.

• Like 3

My Spurs mate warned me about tim's tatics. He only knows one way to play it seems.

Saying that maybe he was trying to play to their strengths because we can't hold a lead at all.

They say a chain is only as strong as the weakest link and in the same parallel we are only as good as our worst performances.

I have a worry of how poor we can be.....when we are poor.

I would like to see Tim raise that bar and avoid very poor performances.

Â